Go to page Previous  1, 2

Wonder what 'ol Golice's hand measured .....

Characteristic bravery of the Highlanders and the aftermath
From the characteristic bravery of the Highlanders, and their contempt of death, it is not improbable that some of those who perished, as well on the field after the battle as in the flight, did not yield their lives without a desperate struggle; but history has preserved one case of individual prowess in the person of Golice Macbane, which deserves to be recorded in every history relating to the Highlanders. This man, who is represented to have been of the gigantic stature of six feet four inches and a quarter, was beset by a party of dragoons. When assailed, he placed his back against a wall, and though covered with wounds, he defended himself with his target and claymore against the onset of the dragoons, who crowded upon him. Some officers, who observed the unequal conflict, were so struck with the desperate bravery of Macbane, that they gave orders to save him; but the dragoons, exasperated by his resistance, and the dreadful havoc he had made among their companions, thirteen of whom lay dead at his feet, would not desist till they had succeeded in cutting him down.
http://www.electricscotland.com/history/charles/73.htm

Mac
Lee O'Hagan wrote:
:D
I did the tape measure check before i posted last night too,
Not that at those lengths the tape would even stay straight :eek:
Yes Bill i enjoyed your review a day or two after you posted, :cool:
Cool stats Mac,
I'm guessing plenty of giants down through the ages,
David,
I think that big guy would have struggled with anything short of a baby elephant,
cant imagine even a giant horse leaving enough clearance to allow this chap to be involved in any form of charge,
LOL,he may just thro the horse on his shoulder and run at them, SCary.

A giant of a man at 8",yes i'd take that as viable,more so with some of the tricks nature can play,

Lee,

At times like this, I wish I grant the wife's wishes and move back over to Fulbourn,Newmarket or some where close to Cambridgeshire, just so I could be close enough to places like Mr. Vincents shop to be able to put my hands on things such as these...maybe one day. Next trip over I'll make it a point to search out a few....

Bill
myArmoury.com should issue a formal request to the collecting world that all photos of antique arms include a universally understood scale. A simple 10cm rule would be ideal.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: