Records X. 7-8 Viking sword weight
Awhile back, in a Forum Galaxy far far away, I'd noted a few stats that Vince Evans had taken on a couple of well known Viking swords, while doing research at the British Museum, London.

Ewart Oakeshott, in his great reference book Records of the Medieval Sword, has them listed as X. 7, and X.8 .
Piquets book did not note the weights on these two, but 'ol Vince made sure he brought his scale !
(I've no clue if other Viking research books have them listed ? ..... Patrick ??)

Vince wrote:
"One interesting thing I noticed when I checked my notes against Oakeshott's "Records of the Medieval Sword"
is that my blade lengths don't match what Oakeshott says by 2 inches.
(I'll see if I can check with the museum regarding which measurement is correct.")

[ Linked Image ]

"Nate had asked about Viking swords.
All three had very little distal taper and shallow fullers. Blades were about 3/16" at the hilt.
The heaviest sword was 3 lb. 1-1/4 oz. and was of a different hilt style (similar to number 75
at the back of The Sword in Anglo-Saxon England.)

The other two swords are:
X.7-8, page 26 in Records of the Medieval Sword. What can't be seen in the pictures is that the fittings of number 8 are considerably thicker and the blade is several inches longer which could account for the difference in weight.
Number 7 is 1 lb. 15 oz, number 8 is 2 lb. 13-1/2 oz. The workmanship of these two swords is very good. "

[ Linked Image ]
Vince at the British Museum holding the awesome River Witham Viking Sword, X.8

Mac
Pierce doesn't list the weights of those two in Swords of the Viking Age. Number 8 is pictured in almost every book on the Viking age (which is interesting since it really doesn't represent the "typical" Viking pattern but is instead more of a regional variant) but no other source lists the weight either. Number 8 is my hands down favorite sword of the Viking age. I tried my best to get Vince to make me one, but to no avail.

A long time ago Vince showed me pictures that he took of Number 8's hilt. The hilt components are a lot thicker and beefier than many Viking swords. It's really kind of a different beast.
Greetings Thomas McDonald, This post comes way too late and causes a tad bit of regret for selling a fine Albion DT 2104 I bought at the "Marketplace" here.:\ However that sale provided funding for the accquitistion of a "previously owned" Albion Gotland that I really enjoy so much more.:D Ah the windings of the Wryd. Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Re: Records X. 7-8 Viking sword weight
Thomas McDonald wrote:

All three had very little distal taper and shallow fullers. Blades were about 3/16" at the hilt.
The heaviest sword was 3 lb. 1-1/4 oz. and was of a different hilt style (similar to number 75
at the back of The Sword in Anglo-Saxon England.)
Mac

Do you know what the dimensions of this 3lb sword are? Blade length at least.

Alexi
Sorry guys but everytime when I see that full length picture of #8 I have to say. . .

DAMN! that's a nice looking sword! Now back to the more dignified discussion. :)
Re: Records X. 7-8 Viking sword weight
Alexi Goranov wrote:
Do you know what the dimensions of this 3lb sword are? Blade length at least.
Alexi

Hi Alexi

No, I do not ...... If I talk with Vince in the next little bit I will ask him !

Mac

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: