Charles V Spanish Suit of Amour & Sword
I have inherited this suit of Spanish Armour of Charles V. Is it real or reproduction and how do I tell the difference. The gloves look used as does the sword. Pictures attached.[/img]. I want to sell it or domate it. You m ay call me at 415 302-9894. or answer my email.
Well..without seeing any pictures. I can't really comment too much. Except to say I doubt seriously that there are any *genuine* sets of royal armour ( of any ruler) outside of museums, or major, well-known , collections. :(
I'd strongly guess it's a reproduction..whether or not it's modern, or something constructed in late 19th C, it'd prob take an expert in the period to tell for sure.
We kept several full armors of the Emperor Charles V in the Museo del Ejército and in the Real Armería in Spain. These harnesses and fittings are too in the pictures painted by Tizziano and other masters of the time, so we are sure that they are original. Charles V was a enthusiast collector and user of armors (both parade, béhourd, as combat), which he inherited from his father (Emperor Maximilian):

[ Linked Image ]

And this fondness passed to his son, Philip II of Spain, which also preserved full armors, although this king never was a warrior.

[ Linked Image ]

In addition there are several fittings of armor in museums of Europe and America, highlighting the collection of the Metropolitan Museum in New York. Recently held a major exhibition of armors and fittings, all genuine, which keep the Spanish Real Armería and the Met Museum: The Art of Power: Royal Armor and Portraits from Imperial Spain

Interestingly, the remains of armor preserved in Spain before Charles V are very scarce. It was this Emperor who initiated the collection of armor fittings that we now enjoy.

Regards
Quote:
Charles V was a enthusiast collector and user of armors (both parade, béhourd, as combat), which he inherited from his father (Emperor Maximilian)

Maximilian was Charles' -grandfather-.

Charles' father was Philip the Handsome/Fair.
Jeffrey Hedgecock wrote:
Quote:
Charles V was a enthusiast collector and user of armors (both parade, béhourd, as combat), which he inherited from his father (Emperor Maximilian)

Maximilian was Charles' -grandfather-.

Charles' father was Philip the Handsome/Fair.

Oooops ! :eek:

Just kill me now !

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: