Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on Regenyei Feders Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Oct, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Opinions on Regenyei Feders         Reply with quote

Has anyone used the new Regenyei Feders? How do they compare to the Arms & Armor Fechterspiel or Albion Meyer? Thanks!
Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal
Patrick De Block

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

I haven't used a feder of Peter Regenyei and can't really compare. I only have a Liechtenauer. But, his feders were used in the Dijon competitions in 2011 and 2012. And Colin Richards ordered feders from Peter Regenyei for his WWOC in 2012. Which means that they are tested and that he gets input from various people apart from Peter Regenyei being a practitioner himself. Maybe you should ask at the Schola Gladiatoria or the WMACoalition forums. Probably there are more people over there who can answer your question.

Cheers,

Patrick
Herbert Schmidt

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know the Arms & Armor Fechterspiel.

I hold some Feders of Regenyei recently. They were ok, but I wouldn't rate them higher than other Feders (Pavel Moc for example). It also depends of which Feders of Regenyei we are talking about.
They are still sword simulators and as such are too fast in my opinion. Also the balance is unrealistic, but that is the case with most Feders.
I would still rate Albions Meyer higher. In my opinion it is the best "Feder" around at the moment.
The only downside is the size. Fencers started to prefer longer swords in the last years, especially Feders.
Albions two handed training swords are rather on the short side.

But if the size is ok for you (it is for me), I'd opt for the Albion.
But the approach is totally different so it is maybe not fair to compare them.
Albion is built to last, to simulate a real sword and to be realistic in the balance.
Regenyeis Feders are a product with a limited lifetime to be easily replaced (as I see them) and they do not have the intention to have the same feeling as a real sword of the size.

But as always - just my opinion.

Herbert

www.arsgladii.at
Historical European Martial Arts
T. Arndt

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Herbert Schmidt wrote:
I don't know the Arms & Armor Fechterspiel... I would still rate Albions Meyer higher. In my opinion it is the best "Feder" around at the moment.

Thanks, my personal preference is that the only feder I like more than the Meyer is the Fechterspiel, so that gives me a good point of reference. Thank you for your opinion!

Since you are unfamiliar with it, here are a couple of reviews of the Fechterspiel you might be interested in:
www.hroarr.com/arms-armour-fechterspiel-sword/
http://www.myArmoury.com/review_aa_fechter.html

Kjell Magnusson

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Herbert Schmidt wrote:

It also depends of which Feders of Regenyei we are talking about.

Speaking of which, do you know if it was the light or heavy version that you held? Or perhaps both?
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

His I:33 single sword looks pretty cool, he(Peter) says you can vary how you want your sword ie; stiff/soft, point/rolled tip etc. basicaly you ask for it he will make it depending to your want and needs, as he said a stiffer sword would last longer in full contact as opposed to a softer sword for more technic and little amounts of contact.
Pavel Mocs feders look nicer, but in the end they are tools, even the Albions will fail, personally I have an Albion Liechtenauer and A&A Fechterspiel, I freaking love my Albion and the latter isn't tobad either, though next would be a Peter or Pavel, unless my Liechtenauer fails, then it will be another! So far 3.5years solo and paired/freeplay, slight movement in the cross but still going strong!
Scott Hanson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They seem pretty popular with a lot of people on the HEMA Alliance forums.
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another"

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA)
Herbert Schmidt

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 03 Nov, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kjell Magnusson wrote:
Herbert Schmidt wrote:

It also depends of which Feders of Regenyei we are talking about.

Speaking of which, do you know if it was the light or heavy version that you held? Or perhaps both?

If memory serves right, it was the heavy one.

Herbert

www.arsgladii.at
Historical European Martial Arts
Kalle Kylmänen

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Herbert Schmidt wrote:
I would still rate Albions Meyer higher. In my opinion it is the best "Feder" around at the moment.
The only downside is the size. Fencers started to prefer longer swords in the last years, especially Feders.
Albions two handed training swords are rather on the short side.

I'm not sure how much to make of this, but past weekend at swordfish Albion meyers were intended to be used in the ladies' longsword tournament, but due to complaints by the participants the tournament ended up being fought with regenyi feders. I saw the ordeal, and can't claim to remember exactly how many of the participants were expressing their concerns to the organizers.

I don't have handled albion meyers extensively, but I have fenced a lot with my regenyi standard feder and I love it. I have also played a couple of times with a fellow fencers A&A feder (can't remember wich type) wich feels quite heavy and stiff imho, atleast compared to my regenyi.

If one likes heavier, peter also makes the Trnawa feders, wich were around 1.7 kg. They are made to the specs of some original, and my friends who could swing it around (my left hand is busted atm) thought the sword felt veryalive inthenahd andone hardly felt the heavier eight of the sword.

There's a lot of quality feders on the market, and a lot of reviews and points of view on them just some googling away Happy
T. Arndt

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kalle Kylmänen wrote:
I'm not sure how much to make of this, but past weekend at swordfish Albion meyers were intended to be used in the ladies' longsword tournament, but due to complaints by the participants the tournament ended up being fought with regenyi feders.

What were their concerns? The Meyer is certainly one of the most popular Feders out there.

Kalle Kylmänen wrote:
I have also played a couple of times with a fellow fencers A&A feder (can't remember wich type) wich feels quite heavy and stiff imho, atleast compared to my regenyi.

This must have been the older and less popular Fechtbuch which weighs in at 3.6 lbs. The newer and more popular Fechterspiel is more flexible and weighs 3.2 lbs.

Kalle Kylmänen

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T. Arndt wrote:
Kalle Kylmänen wrote:
I'm not sure how much to make of this, but past weekend at swordfish Albion meyers were intended to be used in the ladies' longsword tournament, but due to complaints by the participants the tournament ended up being fought with regenyi feders.

What were their concerns? The Meyer is certainly one of the most popular Feders out there.
I understood that the swords were changed for the meyers being light and short, but I'll get a first hand account tomorrow from a fencer who was actually talking to the referees. This was an interesting case, I'll have to pay closer attention to what swords people bring to the event next year.

I can also confirm the type of A&A feder, but that was just my opinion anyway.
Kalle Kylmänen

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Checked from my friend, the main issue with the albion meyers was the length, but also the length of the grip. Apparently fencing with them using a pair of ensifer gloves is tricky.

However, the organizers were pretty open minded on the case and didn't insist on using the albions
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its quite interesting to find with the different blunts/feders etc. I have read alot about the said swords in that they all seem to have high reputations, for me I have both the Albion Liechtenauer and A&A Fechterspiel, the Lichtenauer is my favorite of the two and both have about the same hilt lengths, though I would not want a grip thats any smaller! Next time around though I will proberly look into either Peter's, Pavels and /or Ensifers for a feder...longer grips/blades.
Still that being said should my Liechtenauer fail me, I'll prob hit up Albion for another!

On the whole the feders comming out of Europe seem to be doing what they are made for and people are praising them.
For us here (me, New Zealand) we need good reviews on such items as the amount of money it costs for us to have such a tool is a large amount!...
Alen L

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've handled quite a few of Peter's feders, but i don't own one. They are really good swords, but have 2 issues as far as I'm concerned: they are too light and taper too much towards the point. The first issue may be a matter of taste, but I've heard several people dislike them because the taper causes the weight distribution to be such that it's difficult to feel the point (i haven't handled the trnava feder yet, so that does not apply to it). I would take them over the Meyer any day, though, simply because of the longer handle.

The Moc feders are great, but they also have two issues (for me): 1.) they are too long, at 140+cm. some folks like big swords (and they cannot lie), but that's just too long for me (i would say too big if not for "that's what she said" jokes :P). The second issue is that they are on the floppy side. Not nearly as much as the first gen Hanwei, and the flex is in the last third, and it is extremely safe in the thrust. It doesn't bother me in techniques, it's just a preference.

The feder I currently use and love is this one:

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/479806_396126557107752_812875061_n.jpg[/img]

I absolutely love it. 1650gr, 131cm with a PoB of 9cm. Has about the same amount of flex as the heavy Regenyei feders, but a lot nicer weight distribution. When this one goes, I'm getting the same one for sure Happy
Scott Hanson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alen, who produces that feder? I was thinking of getting a Moc, but I'm open to other possibilities and that one doesn't look familiar.
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another"

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA)
Alen L

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not enitrely sure how it is wit the rules and advertising, but I'll check the rules and post the data tomorrow. Sent you a PM with the info, though Happy
Mark T

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Our group has a couple of Regenyeis and like them a lot. So far, they've held up to Ensifers well, although we focus on light drilling vs all-out bouting.

They're well-made, and, to me, the handling is very similar to many (repro) sharps I've handled. Am also aware that some folks don't like the Meyer, stating that it's too stiff.

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Pauli Vennervirta

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter has also made some extra long swords with extra long handles and they have served well their owners in our school. I myself would like to get his feder, I need a longer sword than my current Pavel Moc. I measured that it should be about 138 cm overall to reach from the floor to my solar plexus.
Kalle Kylmänen

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some more opinions on different feders http://hemaalliance.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2630
Polls of this kind (and certainly my opinion also) could very well be sligthly biased by just what people have avalaible. To contribute an educated opinion on this matter a far more experienced fencer than me should handle these swords atleast for a few sessions. Then, it's still a questionof preference and style. Also not listed are different models from different manufacturers, ensifers come light, heavy and long, and even the new Pavel Mocs have 3 cm difference in length and slightly different PoBs etc.

Regenyei's Trnava might actally be a tuny wee bit wider at the point than at the schilt, but i'm just guessing here based on my hazy memory. To stay on topic, I still consider the regenyei very much worth it's cost (a little less so for non-euro customers) and agood choice for a first practice sword. Nowadays I'm drifting towards heavier swords, as long as the protection is up to it. I hear Carl Ryrberg got his finger broken through AF gloves at swordfish in the bout for 3rd place in the open longsword.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on Regenyei Feders
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic