Bronze greaves
This is a set of greaves I made for a customer's Roman centurion impression. They are made from phosphor bronze, hammer hardened, and labouriously planished and sanded to ensure as smooth a finish as I could muster. A high polish lets all the word know if the maker has neglected those stages... Fit was ensured by working from casts I took of my customer's legs.

The linings and lacing will be installed by the owner.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

-Hildebrandt
Roman greaves
Oh...my ...gawd! Those are gorgeous! You did a great job on those :D

-Reece
Jeff, as always your work impresses, and it doesn't hurt that I love the appearance of bronze which we don't see too often here on the Armoury. As usual, I'm looking forward to more.
Amazing finish after hammer hardening! I have much respect for what you do. And much desire to own armor from you someday. :-)
........Gorgeous. Seriously .....wow, good stuff!
Looks awesome!

Question though... Would every Centurion have such made for him individually? Seems like a lot of work to equip a legion.
That's incredible! I just looked through the rest of your topics - you are a true artist with the hammer!
Thanks for the kind words, all!

Rob, I am under the impression from the limited reading I have done on the subject that even legionaries had a good deal of freedom in purchasing improved or additional equipment. I think it more likely that a centurio commissioned his own greaves rather than having them issued, particularly considering the degree of decoration present on some depicted in grave stelae. From my experience, greaves cannot be worn for any length of time unless they are at least made to measure, or better still from casts - they are uncomfortable otherwise. If Roman officers were issued standard-fit greaves, we would surely have plenty of them in the archaeological record, because there would have been a pair tossed aside at every milestone!

-Hildebrandt
Gorgeous work, Jeffrey! You make wonderful stuff.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: