Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your Favorite Neil Burridge bronze swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Eric Lu

PostPosted: Fri 01 Nov, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome references there and great photo of Neil haha. I remember Kirk's thread about his albion g2b sword. He did such a unique job putting that one together!

Also, that's a beautiful sword Joe! Every collection needs a Neil blade Big Grin He's pleasant to deal with and each piece feels like a treasure. I've got the Mycenaean type G (pointy one with the shorter horns) that maybe I'll finish someday. It came with quite a sharp edge on it; I've already been accidentally cut by it during a quick polishing!

There's something really special about bronze blades to me, maybe it's how they instantly bring to mind a very distant world. Neil definitely captures this in his work.

Michael Sandoval

PostPosted: Sat 30 Nov, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: stats         Reply with quote

Thanks for this wonderful discussion--

Still looking for comparative stats on Neil's swords that people own. He does a fair amount of customization, so I'm curious to see the variations. The swords I'd love to check are:

- Witham Antenna sword
- Limehouse
- Ewart Park
- Naue II (late model)

Length, weight, and POB

I'm very interested in people's opinion of the handling of these swords, especially the Witham.

I bought Dan Howard's book, Bronze Age Military Equipment, which gives an excellent overview of weapons and tactics of the Bronze Age of the Near East/Aegean regions. It doesn't deal with Western or Northern Europe (taking nothing away from the book, which states it's scope on the first page). But it goes into great technical detail on subjects ranging from the evolution of chariot warfare to an analysis of early Bronze Age armor

I'm interested in the historical use and ownership of the swords listed above, especially in Western Europe and especially Great Britain. For example, the Witham--a beautiful, continental import--was a high status weapon, no? In which case, it's ownership would've been regulated to those who could afford it: chiefs, nobility...? Was the Ewart Park--a plainer blade, but of excellent handling, as reported by owners and Neil--more a weapon for warriors "on the line," in which case, were these noble or well-off warriors who could otherwise afford the ownership of such weapons?

Thanks for any insight!
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just ordered a Mycenean G2B and a Witham antennae sword. Big Grin

Thinking of using Olivewood burl for the G2B handle.

I've seen someone outfit the G2B with a large bulbous pommel (like those found on Neil's Ewart park swords).

The photo that matt Corbin posted earlier in this thread on Fri 01 Nov, 2013 12:21 am shows a G2B with 4 rivets in the handle. The upper rivet seems to preclude a large bulbous pommel. Seems more consistent with the handle shown in Joe A's post on Thu 31 Oct, 2013 1:06 pm .
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jan, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just happen to have "Die Schwerter in Griechenland" by Imma Kilian-Dirlmeier on interlibrary loan for a few more days, and it shows a number of Type G swords and similar ones with flanged hilts that have organic parts still in place. And they varied! It looks like most have the pommel no thicker than the grip. But at least a couple have the "bulbous" or mushroom-shaped pommel (done in two halves, of course), with the rivet going through the "stem", where it's much narrower. That's how I did one of my Albions:

Though the other I did flat:

Gotta say, flat is easier! The rivet for the other one is rather long, and the wood is about a 45 degree angle at that point so peening it was a real pain. I think I used glue to keep the wood in place, not trusting the rivet to be tight enough to prevent rattling.

There were also swords with very similar hilts but having only a tab with a rivet hole for the pommel. Those are all variations on the mushroom shape, too.

Matthew
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Mon 21 Apr, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Neil Burridge G2B stats
(blank blade without a finished grip)

Total length: 15-7/8" (40 cm)
Blade length: 10-7/8" (27.5 cm)
Blade width: 1-9/16" (4.0 cm) base, 1˝" (3.8 cm) mid-shaft
CoG: 1˝" from the base of the blade
Weight: 1 pound 1.6 ounces (500 gm)
Handle width (max): 13/16" (2.0 cm)
Pommel width (max): 1˝" (6.3 cm)
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This would be my favorite Neil Burridge sword since it has my name on it and it is in the mail! Neil has been so nice to work with and there are several other types I am passionate about so I assume I will have a few more eventually.

Ewart Park and a Welsh Type Late Bronze Socket Ax

There are a few threads about scabbards for bronze swords here. I don't really know how to design a scabbard; I don't want to make one myself, but I know little about the art styles that might be incorporated to be able to suggest anything to a maker like Tod's stuff or Sonny at Customswordshoppe.

Anyone want to chime in to show off scabbards or cool historical ideas for scabbards? Big Grin

Attachment: 106.65 KB
KemsEwart1 (640x174).jpg

Attachment: 99.68 KB
KemsEwart2 (640x256).jpg

Eric Lu

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful sword there J. I really like the color and finish of the wood parts. That axe head is really cool too.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Thu 08 May, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Eric! I hope to have as good of a display for it as you did with yours.

After a brief and uninteresting holdup at the post office, the sword came home yesterday. I'm a neophyte at the sword pic thing, but here is a somewhat crappy in-hand photo that might give an idea of the size.

There's more bronze swords I'd like to get: Naue II, Mindleheim, Khopesh, but this one has been on my list for the better part of 7 years. It's very beautiful and feels very good.

Attachment: 201.8 KB
EwartPk1.jpg

Eric Lu

PostPosted: Sat 17 May, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice pic! The Ewart Park is certainly a classic. All of my Neil blades are Aegean styled, and I'm hoping to eventually get a European one. I really like the Urnfield and bronze hilted Carp's tongue swords he has on his site. There's also a really cool looking "Tanum" sword under the workshop link on his website. I've been meaning to ask him about that one, but not sure if he offers it for sale.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Finished making the grip for my Mycenaean G2b sword.
Wooly mammoth ivory grip
Olive wood burl pommel
Gold
I'm still a beginner at this sort of thing. There is a good side to the grip, and a not-as-good side. This is the good side. My next project is a scabbard for this sword.

Attachment: 142.35 KB
[ Download ]
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jun, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Finished making the scabbard. I dyed the sheath dark brown, but it came out almost black. Oops. It looks dark brown in direct sunlight.

Attachment: 180.69 KB
[ Download ]
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jun, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis wrote:
Finished making the grip for my Mycenaean G2b sword.
Wooly mammoth ivory grip
Olive wood burl pommel
Gold
I'm still a beginner at this sort of thing. There is a good side to the grip, and a not-as-good side. This is the good side. My next project is a scabbard for this sword.

Really attractive work.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just received an Ewart Park sword from Neil. The sword is gorgeous - a work of art. Neil was very easy to work with. This was one of the smoothest transactions I've ever had. He cast the sword one day after I paid him and then kept me updated throughout the process. It was maybe a couple of weeks total from the time I first emailed Neil to receiving the sword.

I went with the oak hilt - looks very nice with the bronze. the sword is sharp.

This is my first bronze sword, but probably not my last. What next?

William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh wow, that dark wood looks incredible! I may apply some wood stain to my standard oak handle as the contrast between blade and hilt is quite lovely. With regards to whats the Kopesh designed after tutankhamun's sword is quite popular. I have handled it and although it is slightly shorter than you imagine, it handles great and is very different to what most people think of as a sword.
X Zhang

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William M wrote:
Hey all, thought I would chip in here.

For example Chinese bronze swords were very hard and didn't have edge hardening in the same way European ones did, however the swords were more fragile as a result.

China bronze sword cross section……no edge hardening, but there is the composite casting technology.....it's not fragile.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree William, the dark wood handles seem to look best on the bronze swords.
Eric Lu

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whoa very nice updates in this thread! Love the finish on Type G2B and Ewart Park. It's always nice to see another finished Neil blade.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A good thread deserves a resurrection. And so, here are my favorite Burridge swords (all five of them). I have made some great deals on the Marketplace, lately (special thanks to Eric Lu!):

Attachment: 223.42 KB
[ Download ]

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

AArrgh, you got Eric's Type G2B? Glad it went to a good home. I really really wanted that one, but I have another commitment right now. Otherwise...Well he did a beautiful job on that.

How do you like the Khopesh? I am hedging between that and the Mindleheim for next year.

Also, you should tell everyone the swords in your picture. I know three out of five and think I know a fourth, but not sure.

*edited to correct the Type G2b

Last edited by J. Nicolaysen on Sat 04 Oct, 2014 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric Lu

PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great photo there Dave! And what an awesome collection. I agree, I'm glad those blades went to a good home, and among other awesome swords Big Grin Very interesting seeing how they look next to the khopesh. I'm seriously thinking about getting one from Neil at some point, but I need to finish up my Type G first.

Is that the Naue II on top? What a beautiful sword. Quite the bronze age beast!

Here's my in progress Type G, held together by tape at the moment haha. (keeping this one as it was my first Neil blade)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your Favorite Neil Burridge bronze swords
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: