Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question on Museum Replicas Longsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Adam Lloyd

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Question on Museum Replicas Longsword         Reply with quote

Saw a new longsword on Museum Replicas and was wanting more info or opinion from anybody here on it. It looks great for the small price of 195$

NEW LONG SWORD BY MUSEUM REPLICAS

Overall-48" Blade-38" long, 1 7/8" wide, 3/16" thick Wt-3 lbs

what do you think?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a brand new product from MRL and I wouldn't be surprised to find that it hasn't entered the hands of a lot of people in the community. It looks to be quite nice from the photos and the price is low. More than that, MRL has a generous return policy. I'll count this amongst the many MRL models that I'd love to see people buy and either lend to us as a review sample or write a review on themselves. I'd like to see more press on products at this price point.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam,

That strikes me as MRL's version of the sword IX.16 in the Royal Armouries in Leeds, UK(i.e. the sword that Del Tin labels as ther 2143). There are some obvious differences, especially in the guard, so a direct comparison might be unfair.

My experience with MRL swords (and I have to admit that they comprise the majority of my collection) is that the blades are not really stiff enough to be good thrusting swords. I noticed this especially on their Glassgow Bastard sword (I think that is what they called their replica of the sword XVa.2 from the Spotligth on Oakeshott type XV's), which is predominately a thrusting sword. The tangs on MRL swords are decent, and I have had no problem with them. Some MRL swords have peened tangs, while others use threads or, as in this case, a retention nut. My guess would be that the tang has been peened at the end of that nut, but I won't promise it, either. The scabbard with probably not fit the sword right (either too tight or too loose, most likely too loose), as MRL's scabbards just seem to be that way.

For the price, I would say that it is probably a good sword, and worth getting. My opinion, anyway.

-Grey

P.S. I don't know if you are interested in a particular period or not, but if you are, I would not recomend using the dates listed in their catalog as your sole source. Many of the dates that they indicate are not quite right, so you might want to double check that information if having your sword belong to a certain era is important.

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question on Museum Replicas Longsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic