Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sudanese cruciform swords? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Christopher B Lellis

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Iain Norman wrote:
As the owner of the takouba.org website I should probably add a few comments (thanks for linking it by the way Jonathan, I'm always happy to see it's useful). Happy

Yes, Timo is correct, the influence is more likely to be Arab and Mamluk with respect to hilt of the kaskara. The main source for arms and armour flowing into Sudan was via Egypt. On the takouba side it's a similar story but with different geographical influences. For more on straight bladed Islamic sword this is a nice thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=17520

Of course from a certain perspective there was European influence, in so much as many of the blades originated there. Both 19th century trade blade and blades from earlier periods as well.

Both kaskara and takouba are still made to this day, mainly as an accessory of traditional dress and for ceremonial use. As Henrik points out, modern steel sources are typically leaf springs from vehicles. The railway steel is also true - the British rail line to Khartoum was completed in 1899.

It's nice to see these under discussion here. Both are rather long lived types and give a fascinating window into African kingdoms such as Sennar, Darfur, the Hausa kingdoms and Bornu.

Here's a nice example held by the British Museum and attributed to a Darfur ruler from the mid 18th century.
http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/online_t...sword.aspx

I'm also attaching a neat image of a couple of cavalrymen from Kordofan circa 1910.

Do you know how much these swords weigh and what their center of balance is? I'm curious to know how they handle.
Iain Norman

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher B Lellis wrote:

Do you know how much these swords weigh and what their center of balance is? I'm curious to know how they handle.

I can't get you POB figures at the moment as I'm away from the bulk of my collection at the moment. However, to give you a sense of weights, in the attached photo the weights are as follows from the top down:

1. Triple fullered blade and brass hilt - about 720g

2. Triple fullered blade and brass pommel, leather grip and metal guard - about 710g

3. Brass hilt with wide blade - about 785g

4. Brass hilt with brass forte plates and wide blade - about 885g or 890g

So as you can see the weight does vary somewhat significantly. A few others I have might weigh even a bit more.

In terms of how the swords handle... One thing to keep in mind is the intended style of use. Takouba are almost invariably sharpened only for the last 2/3rds of the blade and the style exhibited in surviving sword dances/rituals is extremely tip oriented. Still, I've encountered a range of characteristics with takouba, some are quite tip heavy, others have much more substantial pommels. As a general rule, older swords are much better balanced. However they don't necessarily handle in a similar manner to European weapons - despite some of the visual similarities.

Attachment: 69.92 KB
[ Download ]
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo and Iain,
Thank you for your replies!

Jonathan
Iain Norman

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jul, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
Timo and Iain,
Thank you for your replies!

Jonathan

My pleasure! Personally, my main interest is really around the Hausa areas and not the more stereotypical Tuareg swords. So anything Fulani/Hausa/Nupe I find really interesting. Not sure if it would be of interest, but quite a good book on the period is available online: http://www.webpulaaku.net/defte/hasJohnston/toc.html Focus is on the Fulani empire of Sokoto.

Since I keep littering this thread with swords, I may as well add another that's one of my more recent additions that I'm particularly fond of.

Attachment: 123.07 KB
combined720p (Custom).jpg

Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jul, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Iain,
Thank you for the link. I have an interest in the Niger Sudan Campaign of 1897, a campaign carried out by the Royal Niger Company under the command of young British officers and the Royal Niger Constabulary (mostly Hausas) against Bida, Illorin, and Nupe. I was curious about the types of weapons the Fulani would have used against the small RNC force.

Thanks again!

Jonathan
Iain Norman

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
Iain,
Thank you for the link. I have an interest in the Niger Sudan Campaign of 1897, a campaign carried out by the Royal Niger Company under the command of young British officers and the Royal Niger Constabulary (mostly Hausas) against Bida, Illorin, and Nupe. I was curious about the types of weapons the Fulani would have used against the small RNC force.

Thanks again!

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

In that case, I'd highly recommend "Yoruba Warfare in the Nineteenth Century" by Ajayi J F Ade and Smith Robert. It includes an interesting essay on the Egba army in 1861 by Captain Jones, a British Officer.

All the best,

Iain
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again, Iain! And I was wrong above--I meant to say Egbon, Bida, and Ilorin.

Jonathan
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jul, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A question about the armour of the riders above:

How common was that twisted scarf over the chainmail??
Iain Norman

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jul, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Zoltan Toth wrote:
A question about the armour of the riders above:

How common was that twisted scarf over the chainmail??

The cloth strap across the chest seems to be a fairly common period element. See below for an unarmored man exhibiting something similar.

Attachment: 191.19 KB
dervish 004 (305x640).jpg

Christopher Lee

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jul, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just interested to know if the Mahdists used two handed swords? Or was this an invention of Victorian painters and illustrators?
Iain Norman

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jul, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Lee wrote:
Just interested to know if the Mahdists used two handed swords? Or was this an invention of Victorian painters and illustrators?

The answer to this is pretty much two fold. The short version is no - they didn't. The kaskara is a single handed weapon usually used in conjunction with a shield.

The long answer is, sometimes, Baker's "Nile Tributaries Of Abyssinia" from 1861 describes mounted elephant hunters wrapping about 9 inches of the blade in leather cord to allow for two handed use. But this seems to be a rather specialized case.
Christopher Lee

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jul, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Iain Norman wrote:
The answer to this is pretty much two fold. The short version is no - they didn't. The kaskara is a single handed weapon usually used in conjunction with a shield.

The long answer is, sometimes, Baker's "Nile Tributaries Of Abyssinia" from 1861 describes mounted elephant hunters wrapping about 9 inches of the blade in leather cord to allow for two handed use. But this seems to be a rather specialized case.

Ok, thanks for that. Interesting. To your knowledge, were there any north african cultures that did use two handed swords?
Christopher Lee

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jul, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Iain Norman wrote:

Ok, thanks for that. Interesting. To your knowledge, were there any north african cultures that did use two handed swords?
Iain Norman

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jul, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Lee wrote:

Off the top of my head, not really, within North Africa you have types like the kaskara, takouba, flyssa, nimcha and various styles of saif. However all of these are single handed weapons.

Getting into why there aren't any would be quite the topic!
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jul, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Iain Norman wrote:
Christopher Lee wrote:

Off the top of my head, not really, within North Africa you have types like the kaskara, takotakoubayssa, nimcnimcha various styles of saif. However all of these are single handed weapons.

Getting into why there aren't any would be quite the topic!

Two handed swords are a rather rare occurrence anyway, and they appeared mostly as a weapon of rather heavily armored troops, so no wonder Africa has none...
Iain Norman

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jul, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:

Two handed swords are a rather rare occurrence anyway, and they appeared mostly as a weapon of rather heavily armored troops, so no wonder Africa has none...

That's certainly a factor. However I'd be quick to counter the idea that in the context of the Sudan and the Sahel in general troops were not armoured as a rule. In fact the heavy cavalry used maille, mainly imported from Egypt, as well as very effective quilted cotton armour and even full iron cuirass in some cases (Bornu empire). Now this was usually restricted to the cavalry and the average foot soldier relied on their shield.
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jul, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick answer, Mr. Norman!
Iain Norman

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No problem! I thought it might be interesting for this thread to show a recent kaskara of mine. Latten inlaid running wolf and the "fly" mark stamped underneath each langet.

Attachment: 29.24 KB
001-resized-small.jpg

Attachment: 70.99 KB
004-resized-small.jpg

Attachment: 153.57 KB
005-resized-small.jpg

Attachment: 153.7 KB
006-resized-small.jpg

Christopher B Lellis

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Iain Norman wrote:

No problem! I thought it might be interesting for this thread to show a recent kaskara of mine. Latten inlaid running wolf and the "fly" mark stamped underneath each langet.

I like that sword, it reminds me of my Albion steward. It's like a homemade version of it, in looks anyway. Handling I have no idea, it's probably quite different.
Iain Norman

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jul, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher B Lellis wrote:

I like that sword, it reminds me of my Albion steward. It's like a homemade version of it, in looks anyway. Handling I have no idea, it's probably quite different.

Thanks Christopher, the Steward of course is a geometry from an earlier period but yes there is some similarity. This particular blade was almost certainly made in Solingen.

In terms of handling, with all kaskara the lack of a substantial pommel means they tend to be somewhat blade heavy. Still, this is a light sword and the blade is agile.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sudanese cruciform swords?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: