Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Viking sword 500574 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jack McGregor Lynn

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Windlass Viking sword 500574         Reply with quote

Hey, I found windlass selling a viking sword for a ridiculously low price..... I have looked at it a bit and nothing seems to be out of order except for that the crossguard is brass the hilt is leather covered plastic. Both of these defects I can put up with or fix. That said, I'm still suspicious of this sword. $50 just doesn't seem right, so I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about this sword.

Last edited by Jack McGregor Lynn on Tue 21 Dec, 2004 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Benjamin McCracken

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just took a look at it. Not too bad, and the price at least at "888 Knives R us" is $50. Here are the stats listed on the page and a link to the sword

• Blade Length: 30 1/4"
• Blade Width: 2:
• Handle Length: 5 3/4"
• Overall Length in Scabbard: 37 1/4"
• Weight in Scabbard: 3 lbs, 4 oz.

http://www.888knivesrus.com/product/WS500574

Ben
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I remember seeing the same sword in Atlanta Cutlery's catalog a couple years ago. Atlanta Cutlery and MRL are essentially the same company. I think that was the normal price of the sword back then as well. I've never handled the sword, so I don't know, but given that it's the normal price, I would be very suspicious of what corners had to be cut to make it a $50 sword.

Edit: I should say that I'm suspicious of it as a "functional" sword. As a decorative sword, for $50, it seems to be a good deal.
Benjamin McCracken

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a stat I should have added before.

• Leather Covered Plastic Handle

I think the lack of wood would be one corner that they cut. At least it won't crack.

Ben
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have had a chance to handle one of these. . .

my momma always told me, "if ya can't say sumpthin' nice. . ."

there is far better for not much more in the current MRL catalog, and $300 will get you in the ballpark of Albion Squire line or Del Tin. . .\

seriously, though, a very weak tang, a grip that is far too wide and thin (uncomfortable, not to mention plastic), a thick blade with a narrow shallow fuller uncharacteristic of the type, and hilt castings that remind me of the engravings on the pommel on my windlass drac sword.

my $.02
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jack McGregor Lynn wrote:
so I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about this sword.

I'll do you one better. I own one. That said, the one I own was purchased several years ago, and some things seemed to change since then. My sword was actually quite decent. It was my first sword, and I recieved it as a Christmas present. The blade was not sharp by my standards, and did not have a uniform edge, but when it slid out of the scabbard on the way down the stairs (do not hold your sword horizantally at your side by the scabbard chape), I managed to cut myself enough to warrant a trip to the emergency room. The tang on mine is on par with other Windlass/MRL stuff, and uses treads to hold on the pommel. Mine balances well in my opinion (POB is about 4 or 4 1/2 inches from the guard) , and shows a nice profile as well as distal taper. The blade will survive being flexed 45 degrees, never tried to do more. The fake leather on the grip came off quickly, I sanded off the risers molded into the plastic grip because I found it fit my hand better without them. I still have the plastic grip core on mine simply because I am lazy. I plan on replacing that when I get home from this desert. scabbard is leather, and is constructed like the other Windlass/MRL scabbards, with the same issue of being slightly oversized.

My father and brother also have the same sword, purchased at the same time. Theirs both show less distal taper, and thus are more point heavy. This seems to be par for the course as far as quality control of Windlass/MRL blades are concerned, so I cannot promise you anything.

Shortly after I recieved this sword, I purchased another. There was less distal taper and (slightly ) less profile taper, screwing up (in my opinion) the handling. The tang on this one was narrower, but still consist of about 2 inches of material drawn out of the blade, with about a 2 inch treaded rod welded on to that. I modified that sword, so I may be responsible for the broken tange that resulted (I put a two handed grip on it, and I think that resulted in leverage that was inappropriate for the blade design). Thanks to the full thickness of matterial at the shoulder of the blade (because the fuller does not run all the way to the guard), I was able to forge a new tang out of the blade, and it made a very nice short sword. I don't know if that is relevant to you, but I include it for your consideration.

In conclussion:

This sword makes me wary of classification of swords by price range. This sword will withstand reasonable use, but is not really a historically acurate piece. The fact that the proportions of these swords seem to vary quite a bit means that it is hard to predict what you will end up with. That said, if I had to go into battle with one of my swords, I would probably take that one simply because it has survived 8 years of abuse (and I do mean abuse). My recomendation would be, especially if you are lookingr for a beater that doesn't cost you a fortune, buy this sword and replace the grip.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Jack McGregor Lynn

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'm thinking that this sword would be a good entry level sword for my little brother. Where I wish I had $300 to burn, as matters stand its this or the new Grand Theft Auto (Ah, the havok I can wreak on a 13 year old mind)
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My friend Justin and myself were thinking of getting a pair of these. Matthew Amt owns one, and has taken his apart, and notes that although the tang is there, and full, it is very thin and weak. He doesn't suggest using it for combat or cutting. The plastic grip can easily be taken off, in my opinion, and replaced with something nicer for only a few dollars and an hour or two of work. The blade seems nice, for the most part... I don't think I've handled the piece, personally, though... If so, I wouldn't remember. The piece, as far as I know, is not really a Windlass piece. MRL does not advertise it, and the Atlanta Cutlery catalog never said it was, either. It is an off-brand... Advertising it as Windlass is false, because they simply didn't make it, as far as I know.

As for the $50, well, it can be topped. The Bud K catalog/site sells it for $20!

http://www.budkww.com/partsview.asp?action=lo...p;catpos=1

Same sword, I can guarentee it.

Hope that helps..!

-Gregory-

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Jack McGregor Lynn

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ya I've seen the one bud k sells but I don't think that it's the same blade. Windlass doesn't normally sell to bud k. I'll call them tomarow to confirm.
Jack McGregor Lynn

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just checked out the budK blade. It looks like the windlass counterpart but it isn't. For one thing the BudK sword's handle is wood. It doesn't specify what type of tang it has which probably means they aren't too proud of it. They both say that they are made of high carbon steel but that can mean a lot of things. I know windlass usually makes their swords with 1050-1095 high carbon spring steel, which is pretty good. Personally I trust windlass and sense I have seen this sword referred back to windlass and MRL on multiple sites I really do think that it is a windlass. There are a lot of viking sword on the market, many of them look similar, but they aren't all the same/
Jack McGregor Lynn

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Atlanta Cutlery posted the sword here.
http://www.atlantacutlery.com/webstore/showpr...Position=9
Jack McGregor Lynn

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Atlanta Cutlery posted the sword here.
http://www.atlantacutlery.com/webstore/showpr...Position=9
I've found good deals on windlass swords before, just never quite this good. My bastard sword was $130.00 from Atlanta Cutlery and is a great sword. The steel is good. It has what seems at least to me to be about the perfect level of flex. I like it balance. It has a fully developed tang and a good hilt. It has held up through test cutting, pell work, and light sparring. The only corner they cut was that the sheath was'nt all that good. This is more than forgivable considering the swords price.
I had one other quibble about it but it wasn't really a matter of quality, design, or manufacture. It doesn't really seem to fit neatly into the catagory of bastard sword. It is over 50 inches long and a bit heavy for one-handed use. This wasn't too important to me because I rarely use a shield and it's an agile sword when used with two hands.
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one of the older variety and for what it cost, it was a quite decent deal. Ofcourse, I shouldered the thing down a bit to give it a better tang and ground a full sized fuller into it. Monkeyed that up, though, when something feel off the shelf next to the grinder one day and knocked my elbow wildly... Needless to say, it didn't do much for the fuller quality, since I was in the end of a pass on the hard wheel. Mine before modification was not too heavy, really, but balanced something like 11 inches down the blade (no joke). So, I decided to change it a bit as a learning experience. Ground the tang further down to give it some strength, did hte fuller, etc. It is a lot lighter now. And the blade is pretty thin. It will flex a bit from the weight of the fittings if held at the end of the blade. However, the heat treat was good and this one will flex and return pretty well. I have yet to replace the plastic grip, but came into some old MRL longsax fittings in steel that actually could be made to fit on the sword and it, in my opinion, improves the look of it dramatically.

Havins said all that, I have been told that the first swords to hit the market are not the same as the more recent ones, where quality is said to be far lower. For whatever it is worth....
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ya I've seen the one bud k sells but I don't think that it's the same blade. Windlass doesn't normally sell to bud k. I'll call them tomarow to confirm.

So, you think Windlass really made that sword..? How come it's never been advertised by MRL..? I've never seen them make such a low-quality viking sword, myself. I suppose I was mistaken~

-Gregory-

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:

So, you think Windlass really made that sword..? How come it's never been advertised by MRL..? I've never seen them make such a low-quality viking sword, myself. I suppose I was mistaken~

-Gregory-

They make a lot of things sold in Atlanta Cutlery that isn't in Museum Replicas. A few of the offerings cross over, but in general they cater to different markets of the cutlery collector. It seems that with swords, the cheaper, less accurate variety goes to Atlanta Cutlery, at least generally.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Over the years I've seen this sword sold through various vendors. Most of the ones I've seen in person were marked "India" on the base of the blade.

Who makes it is largely irrelevant. For that price you're really just getting a bunch of sword parts. It looks like it would make a good candidate for some experimental antiquing.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jack McGregor Lynn

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

got the sword today. First impression is that it is decent. It feels a bit heavy and it's balance is off but I didn't find the grip to be badly shaped at all. Asthetically it's not bad at all (unless you're one of those purests who detest the Windlass mark on the blade) and it has OK flex. I think a bit of sharpening could do wonders for the balance, and I wish they had lengthened the fuller and made it a bit deeper. I think that those two modifications alone would turn it from a great deal into a pretty good sword all on its own....All in all I'd say it's a pleasing purchase for $50.00 and a good present for a kid who is almost thirteen. When he and his friends have some fun with it I will be able to give reports on durability.

Last edited by Jack McGregor Lynn on Fri 24 Dec, 2004 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Asthetically it's not bad at all (unless you're one of those purests who detest the Windlass mark on the blade)

The lettering on Windlass swords is applied only to the clear coat on the blade, not the metal. If you remove the clear coat with steel wool or solvent, the label goes away and you have a clean unmarked sword.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own one of the 'India' BudK swords. I took it apart also, and found a decent tang. Not great, but decent. It would hold up to faire-carry and some light reenacting. I plan on replacing the cheezy plastic grip with wood or bone, and carving some runes on the pommel and guard........maybe age the blade too. If I totally mess it up, I'm not out a fortune and I still have some parts for a project. Maybe cut it down to a full tang and build a langsax...hmmmmmm........mcm.
Jack McGregor Lynn

PostPosted: Sun 06 Feb, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been messing around with this sword for a while and have come to some conclusions. First, as to durability, this sword is tough. I have practiced with it a fair amount. I have used it against my punching bag repeatedly. My little brother and his little friends have played with it. The sword has stayed firm through some pretty forceful stuff. I expected the admittedly cheap hilt to shift but it has so far held admirably.
The swords handling is OK. In the hand it feels a bit blade heavy but when swung this seems to disappear and be replaced by a sense of authority. This sword can deliver some pretty heavy cuts. Otherwise this sword is merely average.
The sword looks pretty good. I find the brass fittings atractive and the blades lines are clean. The hilt, however, is pretty ugly. If your buying this sword as a display piece be prepared to replace the hilt. On the other hand, the sheath was a nice suprise. It's furniture is an attractive black leather with brass fittings that I find very striking. It fits the sword nicely. I don't think that the sword is absolutely historically accurate but it seems pretty close; If you want something more be prepared to pay more.
In conclusion, I am more than satisfied with this sword. It is far from perfect, but for its price it doesn't need to be. Its blade is good and it's sturdy and that in and of itself puts it head and shoulders above the competition in its price range. The blade is made by a respectable manufacturer. I think that this sword is a good entry level beater. I gave it to my little brother knowing that, no matter what sword I get him, it will eventually be broken. This sword is good enough to use and cheap enough not to feel guilty about using it.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Viking sword 500574
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: