Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wholesale armor german sallet Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jack McGregor Lynn

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Wholesale armor german sallet         Reply with quote

Another question about a deal that looks to good to be true. This I know a bit less about. www.Wholesalearmor.com is selling a german sallet that at least looks quite nice. It's 16 gauge steel but it says in big letters NOT SCA LEGAL. Why wouldn't it be? What type of protection will it give me? I would really like to know. Also, this helm looks quit different from what I have come to recognize as fairly standard sallet designs. Is it historically accurate? I actually prefer the way this helm looks to the more traditional designs but I also value accuracy.
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings,

I'm not sure as to the accuracy of this helmet, but I think helmets of this type aren't called sallets. I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that this would be more of an armet-ish (closed helm) design. Take a look in the albums here for some good pictures of period armor. As for the SCA, safety is a big deal and I think that they have certain requirements for helm with hinged face protection. Latches especially. Just my 2 cents.

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is this the helm you're referring to? It's much easier for us to answer questions if we don't have to chase down the info.

Attachment: 27.95 KB
yhst-76075118200217_1819_2346305.jpg

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Anders Lindkvist

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Hm, how about the quality?         Reply with quote

The prices are very cheap, from riveted maile to the churburgarmour.

Does anyone knows anything about the quality of these goods? Have any one bought things from this company?

/Anders

My blog about history, handcrafts and reenactment.
http://kurage.wordpress.com
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That particular helm is referred to as a bellows visor sallet. It seems to have both sallet and close helm characteristics.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Brian W. Rainey

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From looking at the site, I have yet to see a piece that is accurate in shape/style. So, to answer your question, no it is not accurate.

These are Indian made pieces, if my guess is correct. I have seen these same pieces on many other sites and I believe they all come from the same Indian wholesaler/manufacturer.

The hat in question can be described as a sallet with bellows visor. Unfortunately, it is a very poor execution of one.

I would not consider these to be wearable. However they are decent mantle pieces if you want inaccurate and cheap crap sitting on your mantle.

I would surmise that these are listed as not being SCA legal because thy aren't. 16ga mild steel is VERY thin to use for SCA combat and who knows if they are actually 16ga.... 16ga sheet steel has a pretty signficant margin of error. Having seen more than my share of these crappy, inaccurate and pathetic excuses for historic armour, my guess is that these are more likely around 17ga. I also believe SCA "regulations" to require a specific sized gap at the eyes and other construction requirements.

In addition, I doubt they would actually fit a human head anyway... best to shop elsewhere.

Brian W. Rainey
Armour Research Society
Journal of the Armour Research Society
brian@armourresearchsociety.org

Last edited by Brian W. Rainey on Mon 13 Dec, 2004 6:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is a bellowsed visored sallet(so called due to the ridges and lows in between on the visor which resmble the leather in between the wood top and bottom on a bellows) and was used from the last decade of the 15th century through the first few decades of the 16th . Nathan posted a very fine Spanish example earlier this month . I would guess that the reason its not Scadian legal is the opening of the vision slot(occularum) is probably to wide . While the tendency with Scadian armour is to Jagdapanzer up with 12 gauge as far as I can remember 16 gauge was still the minimum . Might have changed since the last time I saw any rules though .
Brian W. Rainey

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan,

If you are interested, J.G. Mann wrote an excellent piece on "Notes on the Armour of the Maximillian Period and the Italian Wars". It was published in the Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London.

While the original is difficult to find, Trotman published a number of articles by J.G. Mann in Studies of European Armour (third item down on the catalogue page, M003). While somewhat costly, it is an excellent reprint and I suggest it as a cornerstone work in the study of armour.

Articles republished in the book:

- Notes on the Armour of the Maximillian Period and the Italian Wars.
- The Sanctuary of the Madonna delle Grazie with notes on the evolution of Italian armour of the 15th century.
- Notes on the amrour worn in Spain from the tenth to the 15th century.
- Notes on the evolution of plate armour in Germany in the fourteenth and fifteenth century.
- A further account of the armour preserved in the sancutary of the Madonna delle Grazie near Mantua.

Brian W. Rainey
Armour Research Society
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian W. Rainey wrote:
From looking at the site, I have yet to see a piece that is accurate in shape/style. So, to answer your question, no it is not accurate.

These are Indian made pieces, if my guess is correct. I have seen these same pieces on many other sites and I believe they all come from the same Indian wholesaler/manufacturer.

The hat in question can be described as a sallet with bellows visor. Unfortunately, it is a very poor execution of one.

I would not consider these to be wearable. However they are decent mantle pieces if you want inaccurate and cheap crap sitting on your mantle.

Brian,
I'm glad to see your post. Would it be possible to elaborate on why these are particularly inaccurate, for the benefit of the masses? Happy Is it because of the steel thickness, shape of the armour, proportions, construction, etc.? Are they unwearable for safety reasons or sizing, etc.?

Thanks!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian , thanks for the heads up .I'll go hunting for it this afternoon. We've got a Maximillian right leg in our collection that we posted pics of here last month if you want to dig around and take a look at it .
Brian W. Rainey

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Brian,
I'm glad to see your post. Would it be possible to elaborate on why these are particularly inaccurate, for the benefit of the masses? Happy Is it because of the steel thickness, shape of the armour, proportions, construction, etc.? Are they unwearable for safety reasons or sizing, etc.?

Thanks!

While I do not like to use reproductions as a basis for study, this will have to do as I am unaware of any online pictures that are similar to the previously referenced.

Reproduction by Tom Justus.

Notice how just plain BLAAAHHH the cheap helm looks in contrast. The helm you referenced is just plain wrong. The lines, shape, style are completely inaccurate in comparison. Shape, construction and proportions come into play, for certain. Without having it in my hands it is hard to tell how it would fit on a person's head, but I would be skeptical of being able to move in it once it is on.

The broad arms coming off of the visor are inccorect. The "tail" that they have on the helm has no way of articulating given its current position and location of the hinge rivets. It should be cover the entire bottom portion of the helm all the way up to the back of the jaw area... this will allow it to articulate up and down freely. The brow reinforce is much too short/narrow to portray a decent representation of an original.

The shape of the skull is simply wrong. The straight edge on the "skirt" of the bowl is wrong and will cause it to wear funny.

I have probably missed a few things as I looked over it only briefly. However, this should give you something to go by.

The thickness... unless you can measure it yourself to ensure that it is on the thicker range of the 16ga scale, I would be very suspicious... even then, I would not let someone hit me with a stick while wearing it. The blows delivered in the SCA are not conducive to historical representation. hey are concusive blows. The heavier the helm, the more of the impact the helm will obsorb. The lighter the helm, the more of the blow you skull and soft-tissue/brain will absorb. Think concussion. You do not want your brain to rattle around inside your skull. Get a heavier helm and allow the helm to absorb the impact instead of you. This is why most SCA armourers will only make helms out of 12-14 ga. Only the import companies who have no tie to the customer are trying to pawn these lighter helms off as safe.

The decorative rivets on the helm displayed in this post, btw, are used to hold on a liner.

Anyone else have thoughts on the subject? This was my $.02 for what it is worth.

Brian W. Rainey
Armour Research Society
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a beautiful helmet Brian, thanks. That style has always been one of my favorites.

When comparing these two photographs what we see is a prime example of the disparity of two different work philosophies.

The helmet in Brian's photo has obviously been made by someone who has taken the time to do hands-on research and study involving existing antique specimens. On the other hand, the first photo shows a helmet that was probably made by trying to copy a photo from a book. The results of either method should be obvious.

I'm much more interested in hearing if anyone has had experience with the flat rivetted mail shirt priced at $299.00.

Has anyone actually purchased anything from this company?

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Brian W. Rainey

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay, here is a picture that gives some proportional evidence to the helm. While ie probably COULD be worn for SCA combat with a tall gorget... I WOULD not wear for such a purpose... however, my head won't be in the helm, so it is your call.

Perhaps someone over here has had some dealings with them:

www.armourarchive.org
www.arador.com

Both of these organizations are made up of a primarily SCA audience.

Brian W. Rainey
Armour Research Society
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One of Toms helmets of this form (could be this one ) was up on e-bay back in October and I was admiring its lines . Tom is a very talented guy with 'bout the best eye for maximising space usage i've ever seen(if you go to Tom's sight he has a tour of his shop and the whole thing is in the one car garage of a split level ranch. He's used ever inch of space and the whole thing's geared twords efficiency ) .
I've seen the Wholesale Armour helm in person(got put on a pole and used for target practice at ARMa interenational event last summer) . It looks like something from The Rocketier or Sky Captian . The lines bare no semblence to
the originals or Tom's . More like a cylinder with a visor , something like a Cylon Helmet from Battle Star Galactica . It falls under the heading of what Brian Price called medievalesque. More for decoration to convey an atmosphere or be worn for a Halloween costume than to "used".
Jack McGregor Lynn

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Ya, the helms price seemed a tad bit cheap. As for accuracy I'd disagree with the general consensus and say that the helm, where not exactly like historical counterparts, is within armorers license in its degree of variation. I really don't care that much about SCA regs per se (not being a member), but I wanted to know if the SCA marshals had noticed a problem that I had missed (unrolled edges for example). I was wondering if this helm would holp up to live steel. I'm guessing not, but if anyone has any Information to the contrary I would be more than happy to hear it. A cheap live steel helm would be nice.....
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw the original of this one a couple of weeks ago - it's in the Wallace collection, catalog number A72. I'm looking at the catalog now and it's not a very good copy.

Plus, I have seen this copy (or one very like it) and it's pretty shoddy construction...
Brian W. Rainey

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jack McGregor Lynn wrote:
As for accuracy I'd disagree with the general consensus and say that the helm, where not exactly like historical counterparts, is within armorers license in its degree of variation.

You bring up an interesting subject. What is "armorer's license". I would certainly like to know. Most of the reputable armourer's I know do not really take license with the general shape of the helm as that is the defining element of the helm.

To put it bluntly, the major thing wrong with it is that it looks modern and in now way shape or form like an actually sallet. If I had a scanner I would post a few dozen existing sallets and let you pick which one that helm looks like. None of the ones I have ever seen match that hat wgen it comes to lines/shape/style and overall feel.

I would love to hear other opinions from people who make accurate reconstructions. I know what some of their opinions would be and not a single one would agree that it is within "armorers license" to be a decent representation of a sallet. Unless you put significant caveats on the discussion. Things like... before you discuss the helm, get any and all likenesses of existing sallets out of your head.... "Now, is this an decent repesentation of a sallet."

However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you be beholding a lot of beauty... then by all means, buy it. In your posts, you appear to be contradicting yourself. In one instance you state that you value accuracy, then you mention "armourer's license". If you value accuracy, then there are much better representations of this style of hat to be found. A number of qualified people make much better representations of this style of hat. If your goal is to get a helm-shaped object for under $100.00... then that is probably your best bet.

You will need to check with the live steel group you are working with. Make sure it fits THEIR requirements. We are not the ones that will be poking you with sharp objects. As far as holding up to live steel, it would do a MUCH better job at that than it would SCA-style of fighting. SCA style of fighting is MUCH more brutal on equipment than live steel.

Live steel is using rebated weapons in non-full speed/force contact environment (at least as a beginner), from my understanding. The SCA literally clubs people at full speed and at full force. Beginner, veteran, it does not matter... you are going to get a beating.

Quote:
I really don't care that much about SCA regs per se (not being a member), but I wanted to know if the SCA marshals had noticed a problem that I had missed (unrolled edges for example).

I am curious as to how unrolled edges would be a problem. Allowing the SCA to inspect or gauge something not being used in SCA fighting is akin to having your washing machine repair man inspect your car when a fault light comes on.

Most marshals in the SCA know the SCA rule book (whick, by the way, was written with absolutely NO historical context whatsoever, rather to save modern people beating modern "armour" with a modern wooden stick). The majority could not tell you if a roll is executed properly, if the rivets/fasteners are even remotely period or if the hat in question is a bascinet or a sallet or a close helm. All you need to do in order to be a marshal is show that you can fight safe, moderate fights and memorize the SCA rule book. Historic armour has nothing to do with it. Rolls are not even mentioned in the rule book, BTW.

Identify WHAT you are going to use the equipment for and have the appropriate people assist in determining whether or not it is safe.

Brian W. Rainey
Armour Research Society
Konstantin Tsvetkov

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not an expert, just want to share my point of view, but I don't think that we have enough artefacts survived to judge for accuracy any of medieval weapon or armour reproduction, and most of those available are court or parade items. I am sure, that as long as edged and shock weapons dominated on the battlefields, soldiers used whatever they could get of blades and armour, weapons are always in short supply (remember Mosin Nagant rifles in Vietnam and Lee Enfild or even black powders in Afganistan in the second half of last century) and some foot soldier could possibly wear a norman helmet in 1400, who knows. Considering the cost of armour and blades, I don't think that all of any european king's men could afford such a nice and elaborated harness and weapon as examples we could usually find in museums. I think a simple steel spheric helmet was a most common for some 300-400 years. As for style and shape, all of you know, period pictures are not reliable, they just give an idea, and certainly, not all styles and shapes were documented. Really interesting are the pictures of medieval costumes and armour, made in 17-19 centuries, they just had much more material to explore, than we have after Europe was twice devastated by two WW. I have found several interesting and quite unusual pictures of european men-at-arms and jousters in a reprint of such a catalogue. Same for the construction of swords and weapons. Remember the swords with pommels made in a shape of morgenschtern, depicted in Codex Wallerstein part concerning combat in harness.
My point is, that any of modern armourers or sword makers can feel being accurate, producing an effective replica weapon, using period tools and his imagination and commonsense, I mean, those modern "fantasy" blades and armours are out of discussion.
One interesting site I recently found: www.bestarmour.com. There you can find a couple of helmet, looking like the helmet in question.
Please,excuse my bad English and thanks to myArmoury for the SpellCheck facility, it was really helpful.

Attachment: 35.09 KB
D%20Salir%2020%20c.jpg

Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
One interesting site I recently found: www.bestarmour.com. There you can find a couple of helmet, looking like the helmet in question.

I have been looking at bestarmour.com for a while and have been considering a purchase. Dose anyone here have any experiences with them that they could share? Good, bad or otherwise?
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Best Armour in Czech Republic         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:
Quote:

I have been looking at bestarmour.com for a while and have been considering a purchase. Dose anyone here have any experiences with them that they could share? Good, bad or otherwise?

Their products are a good value for historically styled functional pieces at a very fair price. So much so that their backlog went from four months to a year like every other competent armourer. Sad

A few guys at AEMMA have some of their work. It arrives on schedule and is well finished. Unfortunately the last two helmets received were much too small to be worn. Apparently, the Czechs don't wear padding in their helmets, just mail coifs. Perhaps they don't expect head shots in their style of re-enactment combat? Jeff Hedgecock recently gave us a heads up on that bit of trivia. Now our people clearly specify how to size the helmets including the preferred suspension and padding.

In any case, Best Armour products suit AEMMA's standards for full speed rebated steel combat. I recommend them as a reliable resource for safe harness.

Kel Rekuta
AEMMA Scholler
www.aemma.org

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wholesale armor german sallet
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: