Odinblades historical cutlass/hanger
Hey guys well my odinblade finally came into me this morning. Its based off a 17th/18th century model that Stephen Fisher posted. I will get stats up asap. Enjoy these pics.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Eric Bergeron on Fri 31 Dec, 2004 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Very nice, Eric. That pommel is fantastic. Is the grip bare wood or leather wrapped? Hard to tell from the photos.
That's excellent, Eric! Any chance we can see some shots that are a bit more in focus? If you need help with your camera, feel free to PM me and I can give some tips. I'd also love to see the photo that inspired it. Focus aside, the pommel carving looks fantastic. John has to be one of the most prolific custom makers working today. He seems to produce a lot of work product, and when combined with the quality coming out of his shop, this fact is even more outstanding.
Thanks for the replies guys. The handle is Ebony, very nice wood. Produces a very non-slip surface. Here are some quick stats: Blade Length 28" overall length 34" weighs in at 2.3lbs and balances out about 4". And I do apologize for some of the non in focus pics I was so excited that it turned out way beyond what I had envisioned that couple of the shots I couldn't keep the camera straight :)
Congratulations :D ! That looks geat! It's nice to see a sabre once in a while. Adds variety and all that :cool: .

Cheers,
Sweet sword! But I think I would expect to date a piece like that, what with the eagle pommel and stirrup guard, at Late 18th/Early 19th Century, rather than a century earlier. Still, a very nice piece! Thanks.

Gordon
Here is the original that mine was based off of. We basically did a different blade as John saw a blade from a cutlass he really liked and thought it would complement this one better.

Attachment: 60.26 KB
am.jpg

Attachment: 13.9 KB
am2.jpg

Glorious looking saber. Nice to see more custom 17th / 18th c. pieces out there.

Bill
I'm glad you had this made and shared it with us. These types of swords aren't replicated nearly enough.
Here ya go Nathan had time to sit and take pics now and have gotten over the new sword joy, thanks for the tips.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
The blade on that looks really nice. Very clean lines, as with all of John's stuff that I've seen. I can see why he's so popular for people who like curved blades.
One thing about John is he is very good at communication, this sword was delayed 3 months more then it should of been but he communicated and said it would be and kept me up to date on everything and even posts and answers questions on forums. He's a great guy to talk to on the phone if you don't like communication through emails.
That's a great looking sword Eric. I've really been impressed by a lot of the stuff John's putting out lately.
Wow! What an impressive blade. I would hate to see that come over the side of my merchantman. :surprised:
Looks a fine sword Eric,
definately worth the wait,
The picture from tip to hilt looks really good,
Looks good all round,
Yet another two thumbs up to John. :cool:
Outstanding, Eric!

As the owner of a now nearly two year-old sword from John, I'm amazed at how many high-quality swords the man is able to produce in a seemingly endless stream. His artistic ability is well established, but I'm particularly impressed with the fullering work he's been producing lately.

Thanks for sharing. :)
His skills have increased infinitely since I ordered my swor from him, and Erics sword here is testament to that...I've been meaning to put john to the test with a sword idea, and I know he'll be able to pull it off, too bad we need money for swords ;).
That's a really cool sword there, Eric! Do you know anything about the original it was copied from? I can't really tell what it is other than a hanger. Any idea as to its age, etc?
No I can't find any info on it, i'm hoping Stephen Fisher reads this and can shed some light on it as it was his picture he found.
hanger
It looks like an American sword from the war of 1812. It has an 18th century blade style found on spadroons. The D guard is typical late 18th, early 19th century and the eagle pommel gives it away as American.

Brian

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: