Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A question regarding particularly massive harnesses Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jeffrey Hildebrandt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Oct, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Its amazing how difficult it seems to be to simply weigh a piece of armour and record it accurately.

But it is so much easier to weigh it while it is still on the stand!

Royal Oak Armoury Website
Royal Oak Armoury Facebook
Neil Bockus

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good Evening,

I'm still at this study. I've gotten my numbers up to 295 armors, 148 head to toe, 52 three-quarter, 55 half, 30 jousting/tourney, and 10 parade. I've decided if I can get the numbers of head to toe plate armors up to 150, that'd be a good sample set for trending data, and if I round out 3/4 armor at 55 (same as half-armor) it would be desirable and bring the entirety of the set to 300 armors of various designs and for various functions.

Unfortunately, I've been stalled out at 148 for about a month or so in terms of head to toe suits. What's 2 armors? Probably not much, but I'd like a round number if I can achieve one. I was wondering if anyone here had any resource they could share with me (a book name, a catalog, etc.) where I might be able to find a few more armors. With how broad the sample set is, I might already have some of them, and I have added several books, journals and pamphlets to my collection in my search.

One of the armors that interests me is the "KD" Garniture - there is an article here and I did pick up Resplendence of the Spanish Monarchy, which has good historic information and excellent pictures, but no physical characteristics of the armor. Also, there are a few suits I know of in Leeds for which I don't have physical characteristics, though if their new collection website works anything like the Wallace Collection's when it goes active, I might find some more samples there.

Any help would be appreciated!

The following links have the most current state of the study.

The Study:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pnleb76ujycyw03/Notes%20on%20armor%20surveyed22a.pdf

The Spreadsheet:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv9g75v0xaeqnyy/Lists%20of%20Weights%20of%20Armor%20REORGv2a.pdf

V/R,
Neil

"The Sword of Freedom is kept sharp by those who live on its edge." - Scott Adams
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you have this one, its listed at 86 lb. 8 oz. (39.24 kg), from the Met Museum. Its unfortunate that so many museums are negligent in providing detailed images and statistics on their armors.

Neil Bockus

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello, Eric,

Yes, I do have that one listed under three-quarters armor, but thank you. It is a bit frustrating that there are a lot of armors out there that don't have their weights, heights, etc. listed, but at the same time I must say those museums that have taken the time, effort (and money!) to put out those details online have been extremely helpful.

One book I haven't checked out yet is "The Real Fighting Stuff" by Dr. Tobias Capwell. I have the Avant armor in the lists, but no other armors from Kelvingrove since I have yet to be able to find their weights. Does anyone know if that book lists any weights of the other armors in that collection? If memory serves, there's at least two other head to toe suits in there, that, if in that book, could allow me to finish off the head-to-toe portion of the survey.

V/R,
Neil

"The Sword of Freedom is kept sharp by those who live on its edge." - Scott Adams
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neil Bockus wrote:
Hello, Eric,

Yes, I do have that one listed under three-quarters armor, but thank you. It is a bit frustrating that there are a lot of armors out there that don't have their weights, heights, etc. listed, but at the same time I must say those museums that have taken the time, effort (and money!) to put out those details online have been extremely helpful.

Neil I know what you mean, I have been looking for cuirass weights, especially older heavy examples but may are not showing weights, a lot of easily obtained information that is just out of reach, very frustrating.
Danny Grigg

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neil Bockus wrote:
Hello, Eric,

One book I haven't checked out yet is "The Real Fighting Stuff" by Dr. Tobias Capwell. I have the Avant armor in the lists, but no other armors from Kelvingrove since I have yet to be able to find their weights. Does anyone know if that book lists any weights of the other armors in that collection? If memory serves, there's at least two other head to toe suits in there, that, if in that book, could allow me to finish off the head-to-toe portion of the survey.

V/R,
Neil

Neil

I just had a quick look at "The Real Fighting Stuff" and I can not find any weights / dimensions for any of the armour pieces in the book.

Danny

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A question regarding particularly massive harnesses
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: