Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Authentic mail pictures Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 25, 26, 27  Next 
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Mar, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix Kunze wrote:
This may be the mailshirt from Nuernberg, that was posted earlier. The pictures are not the best and much is obscured by the breastplate covering the body of the shirt. The second shot shows the detail of the shirt`s low collar.

Felix, I think we have a match.

Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Mon 17 Mar, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The collar (and possibly skirting) appears to be a later addition. I don't suppose we have any closer shots of either to examine?
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
B. Pogue
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix Kunze wrote:
This may be the mailshirt from Nuernberg, that was posted earlier. The pictures are not the best and much is obscured by the breastplate covering the body of the shirt. The second shot shows the detail of the shirt`s low collar.

That's it, thank you Felix!

Both of my photos are of the right arm.

Blake
Eric S

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kai Lawson wrote:
To my eye, that Japanese mail looks significantly different. What a huge overlap! And it looks like those rivets are more like peened nails than stamped or clenched rivets. Very interesting.

Kai, here is another example, to me it is very distinctive, on the ones that I have seen the rivet heads are the same on both sides and the rivets are set completely different than European or Indo-Persian mail.

Eric S

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kai Lawson wrote:
The theta mail (at least in pictures, I haven't gotten to see any in person) doesn't look to be denser than 'regular' mail. Is its purpose decorative, just different, or does it have some sort of special significance?

On another forum there was a discussion on the subject of dense mail and its ability to stop the penetration of an arrow head as opposed to mail with larger links. This discussion made me think about what type of mail would have actually been the best defense against arrows. Until very recently images of theta link mail were nonexistent but now with several different examples available it became apparent to me exactly why anyone would have gone to all the trouble of constructing alternating theta link and riveted mail.

Here is an image of an arrow head showing how hard it would be to penetrate theta link mail, the mail comes from the arm of an Indian zirah baktar / zirah bagtar, (mail and plate shirt), 17th century, the shirt is formed of rows of theta-link alternating with rows of riveted mail.

It is my opinion that the bar across what would normally be a open solid link was for exactly this purpose, to keep an arrow from penetrating, why else would someone go to all the extra expense of having something like this made, in addition to the extra weight it added if it was not intended for a serious purpose.

Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The minute I saw the mail in conjunction with the arrowhead I saw what you're getting at. That makes sense to me. Has any evidence of a form/mold/press been found for forming and welding the wire so uniformly? Something like a thicker wire form for bending the mail wire, or some sort of hinged press that could be heated?
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Eric S

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kai Lawson wrote:
The minute I saw the mail in conjunction with the arrowhead I saw what you're getting at. That makes sense to me. Has any evidence of a form/mold/press been found for forming and welding the wire so uniformly? Something like a thicker wire form for bending the mail wire, or some sort of hinged press that could be heated?

Kai, there is very little information on theta links, here is what I have found.

There is an article from "The Archaeological Journal, Volume 37, Royal Archaeological Institute".1880 titled "Catelogue of the Exhibition of Ancient Helmets and Examples of Mail" in which over 100 European helmets, Greek and Roman helmets and mail armors were exhibited, examined and the results cataloged, theta link mail is mentioned several times..
http://books.google.com/books?id=ZH_QAAAAMAAJ...mp;f=false

The Royal armories theta link study.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/7881368071900844/

"Glossary of the Construction, Decoration and Use of Arms and Armor in All Countries and in All Times" by George Cameron Stone, page 428.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/7881368072450774/

There is a discription and pictures here showing one persons theory on how theta links were made.
http://www.modaruniversity.org/Blackmaille28.htm
http://www.modaruniversity.org/Blackmaille28.htm
William P

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric, what about some of the other designs of japanese kusari, particularly the ones that almost are knitted in a lattice design with decently sizable gaps n the maile left there on purpose.

why would they be used instead of others.
Eric S

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
Eric, what about some of the other designs of japanese kusari, particularly the ones that almost are knitted in a lattice design with decently sizable gaps n the maile left there on purpose.

why would they be used instead of others.

William, if you are referring to the empty square or rectangle spaces left in some parts of Japanese armor these were used to reduce the weight, certain areas were made with lighter materials and empty spaces, my guess would be that these areas were known to be less prone to attack. In armor that was meant to be worn for extended periods of time there was sometimes a trade off between more and heavier protection and lighter weight but less protection.

Here is an exmple, this is a kikko katabira, you can see large empty square areas in the mail.

Here are the Japanese mail (kusari) patterns that I have pictures of, there are a few more types that I do not have pictures of.

Simple square pattern using butted round links.

Simple square pattern using round and oval butted links.

Simple square pattern using twisted links and butted links.

European 4 in 1 pattern using butted links.

6 in 1 pattern using twisted links with a butted center link.

6 in 1 pattern using doubled up butted links.

8 in 1 pattern using butted links.

An unusual pattern which appears to be coiled links.

European 4 in 1 pattern using riveted links.

This is an unusual form of twisted link mail.

Eric S

PostPosted: Thu 15 May, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a type of kusari (Japanese mail) that has not been online seen as far as I know, mail of this type is illustrated and mentioned in Kozans "The manufacture of armour and helmets in sixteenth century Japan".

Quote:
Kote, 17th c, by Unkai Mitsunao, who used an unconventional material and arrangement of links for the kusari (mail), the kusari is made of brass to avoid damage to the underlying fabric from rust, the links are connected in a pattern called "kagome-gata-gusari" which forms hexagonal open spaces in the design, detail view of the kusari.

Eric S

PostPosted: Thu 15 May, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is another unusual example, it is Indo-Persian and appears to be all riveted with no solid links, all of the links are intricately stamped, it weighs 17 lbs, from the Higgins Armoury.

Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another armor from the Musée de l'Armée in Les Invalides. It may be closer to c. 1400 than the reported 1350 IMHO.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chainm...ides_1.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chainm...ides_2.jpg

Although the description lists it as grain d'orge, so called "barley-corn mail", the rivets don't look that pronounced to me. I think the armor or rivets has been heat treated after riveting, something well documented in the metallurgy of other mail armors. This might account for the rivets fusing into the ring.

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Robert Rootslane

PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Found some more pictures that i had, about mail from Estonia. They are of low quality, since i think i made them with a shellphone camera, and even with the best instruments im still a rather bad photo maker. Surprised

Mail from 14 century, picture made in a museum through class so....

closeup of the same thing:

Probably a peace of bronze edge trimming from some mail. Whats weird about this peace, is taht although all the rings have holes for rivets, only 2 or 3 rivets are left. Most rings have just empty holes.

A mailshirt of unknown origin and age. Id say 15 century maby.

Weird headgear armour of horse-people Surprised Unkown origins, but it is said that they might be from Russian Kasak troops from the Napoleonic wars.

The metal disc in the middle is rather small. About 12 cm (less than half a feet) in diameter.

Also a prettier version of the same armour:

R
Eric S

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Rootslane wrote:
Found some more pictures that i had, about mail from Estonia. They are of low quality, since i think i made them with a shellphone camera, and even with the best instruments im still a rather bad photo maker. Surprised

Mail from 14 century, picture made in a museum through class so....

Robert, do you know the name of this museum?
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/5...f67269.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/2...7470ae.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/3...f0528e.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/8...059e2d.jpg
Robert Rootslane

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are from Eesti Ajaloomuuseum. "Museum of Estonian History" it might be in translation.

http://www.ajaloomuuseum.ee/en
Eric S

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Some new information on Japanese riveted mail         Reply with quote

A newly translated chapter on Japanese mail from "Nihon katchū no shin kenkyū" (new study of Japanese armor) by Hachirō Yamagami, 1928, has supplied some more information on Japanese riveted mail, it states that is was introduced by the West before the 1600s and that it was copied and made in Japan as well. Mr Yamagami was an author of several book on the subject of Japanese armor and a well respected researcher, as far as I know this is the first English translation of this chapter.

Quote:
Nanban-karakuri-gusari (南蛮からくり鎖): Shortly also called karakuri-nanban (繰南蛮). A
kind of nanban-gusari with thick, riveted-together rings, introduced from the West during the
Sengoku era and copied and made locally in Japan. As Myōchin Ryōei (明珍了栄) made a lot of them, they were also called “Ryōei´s karakuri-gusari” (Ryō´ei no karakuri-gusari). An armor attributed to Ryōei which makes use of this kind of mail is preserved in the Ibun-jinja (伊文神社) of former Mikawa province (see picture p. 1151). Apart from that, nanban-karakuri-gusari mail can also be seen on kote, haidate, and suneate of an armor worn by Koide Yoshichika (小出吉親, 1590-1668), coming from the former collection of the Koide viscount family which were the old daimyō of the Sonobe fief (園部藩) of Tanba province. Incidentally, the nimai-dō cuirass of the Koide armor itself makes use of nanban-karakuri- gusari too.

All of the mail of this armor is karakuri-namban kusari (riveted Japanese mail).
Eric S

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New research into the composition of the wire used in Japanese mail has revealed bars were cut from a steel plate, the bars were then drawn into wire. This is the first research I know of which proves that Japanese mail was manufactured from steel. The research paper is in Japanese, here is a small translated section and a link to the full pdf, if this ever gets translated I will post the translation.

https://www.jim.or.jp/journal/j/pdf3/78/04/149.pdf
The Japan Institute of Metals and Materials, "Manufacturing Technique of Steel Chains Used for Japanese Armors from the End of the Muromachi to the Edo Period", by Natsuko Kugiya, Kazuhiro Nagata and Masahiro Kitada, Graduate School of Fine Arts, Tokyo University of the Arts, Tokyo, published April 1, 2014.

Quote:
The manufacturing technique of steel chains used for four Japanese armors from the end of Muromachi to the Edo period has been investigated. The chains used in Kusazuri (tasset) and two types of Kote (guntlet) were composed of steel rings in round and oval shapes, while those used in Kusari katabira (chainmail) was only round. As for the former ones, round rings were connected by oval rings. The diameter of steel wire of rings was about 1 mm. The steel wire was produced from steel plate with a carbon content of 0.11 to 0.40 mass. Steel was forged and welded twice to make a plate which was cut into a bar. The steel bar was drawn into standardized wires by a die with a draft percentage of about 25 and annealed. The drawing of standardized wire followed by annealing was repeated several times to make wire for armors. The crystal grains in the wires were elongated in the axial direction and the aspect ratio of grain in the oval rings was larger than that in the round rings. The wire was rolled around a stick and cut by chisel to make rings.

Eric S

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There will be an interesting item for sale in September, a 16th century Bishops mantle will be auctioned to someone with deep pockets, estimated selling price 10,000-12,000 Euro.

Quote:
European (Germany) riveted mail Bishops mantle, first quarter of the 16th c, small riveted rings, the rings at the upper part of the shirt and the collar are thicker and closer; the front opening provided with two engraved buckles and a hook. Open along the sides. Bishop's mantle was very popular among German mercenaries in the first part of the 16th c. Often it was the only defense for these troops. height 58 cm.

Last edited by Eric S on Thu 14 Aug, 2014 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Erik D. Schmid

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's not really much at all. Several years back they were selling for more than double that. The antique and collectables market has dipped considerably over the years. It's become a buyer's market now, which is nice. Happy
http://www.erikds.com
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Erik--

Do you know if the smaller, tighter weave at the upper end of the bishops mantle above has intentionally exaggerated flattening of the ring near the rivet, or might that be a by-product of using a set of pliers that could be used on larger rings (and smooshing the ring a bit more)? The mesh is so close that the flattened area covers the body of the ring next to it--it looks intentional. Is it?

"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Authentic mail pictures
Page 9 of 27 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 25, 26, 27  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: