Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sutton Hoo mail coat - solid and riveted with copper rivets. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Mikko.

I'm sure I had cut and pasted the link. Now I'm trying to figure out how that comma got into it? Anyway, I edited the original post as well to save future readers the same problem.

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mart Shearer wrote:
Thanks, Mikko.

I'm sure I had cut and pasted the link. Now I'm trying to figure out how that comma got into it? Anyway, I edited the original post as well to save future readers the same problem.

Great find, theta links are rare but copper riveted on top of that, really rare. The brass links look like they have oval rivets.
http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collect...ctid=39294

Indo-persian mail fragment composed of alternate rows of theta-shaped links, solid links and smaller riveted links of round-section wire with circular rivets of copper alloy. At one side is a border of riveted links all of brass with brass rivets. The British Museum.
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric S wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:
Copper alloy rivets could be stronger than iron but that doesn't matter much with mail. When the links fail it is almost never because of the rivet. The link itself usually tears.

But what is this information based on actually, a few modern tests and a few existing damaged examples. The people who made, used and repaired the originals may have known something we do not currently have the ability to see.

Perhaps based on battle damage, but certainly not the case for surviving mail. It's rare to find an extant piece of mail where at least one rivet hasn't failed - torn out, popped loose, or is simply missing, though it might have been missed in assembly or repair. Thom Richardson's thesis argues that Tournament mail might have been butted due to the references to mail without rivets, but after batting it around a consensus view is that this simply refers to rivets having failed during cleaning.
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewto...p;t=162609
Quote:
one habergeon of coarse mail without rivets, old and rusty, one double gorget of coarse
mail without rivets, old and rusty . . . one aventail worn out and rusty, a habergeon
for the tournament of the same mail

Archaeological finds of loose rings often seem to have failed rivets as well.

Perhaps this is a bigger issue with the round "pin" rivets than the later wedge rivets?

Paul Mortimer

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 23 Apr, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a glimpse of the mail being worn at the British Museum a week or so ago. I haven't yet met with Brian Gilmour concerning the copper rivets, but it could be that the copper rivets are there to add a bit of sparkle, even if that means compromising strength. I will try and get some full length shots soon.

Attachment: 190.09 KB
[ Download ]
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Wed 23 Apr, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very beautiful. I would think that if any mail were to have some decorative elements at the cost of protection, it'd be the Sutton Hoo hoard given the ornate beauty of the other items.

Glad you are doing the reproductions of all this. Like Dan Howard's Dendra and Agamemmnon cuirasses, it is very informative and wonderful for the rest of us to see.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Wed 23 Apr, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

great thread
Tobias Capwell

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

After seeing that detail of you in action at the British Museum I'm convinced that the purpose of the copper rivets is cosmetic. It looks fantastic!

This impressive visual effect completely justifies any slight decrease in strength of the joins. As we've said before, the history of armour is littered with examples of how some degree of protectiveness or functionality was sacrificed in the process of creating some form of rich decoration.

This seems like a really fascinating early example of warrior bling trumping all other concerns.

So cool!

T
Paul Mortimer

PostPosted: Sun 27 Apr, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for your kind words.
I think that you are right Toby -- it is likely that the copper was used to add a bit of bling. It would still be interesting to try and gauge just how much strength has been sacrificed and I do hope to get some idea of that a bit later. I also wonder just how much of this type of armour was around. Finds of mail from the 5th to 7th centuries in Europe are so rare that it is difficult to speculate.

Cheers,

Paul
Tobias Capwell

PostPosted: Sun 27 Apr, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Right, for many uses copper rivets provide a perfectly respectable join. Something which is technically weaker might not actually be noticeably weaker in practical terms.
William P

PostPosted: Sun 27 Apr, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i think it might have to do with material consistancy,

one thing ive heard of time and again regarding period iron is the difficulty in achieving uniformity due to things like little slag inclusions and the like., perhaps copper alloy is something, being melted down and cast, that will have a much more uniform and consistant structure, so while they might not have as good a maximum strength, they might be more consistantly good.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've enjoyed this thread as well, thanks guys. Very informative. Paul, I'm just wondering if you wanted to go "full custom" in the future would it be worth trying your hand at mail making yourself? From what I understand it's not that difficult (although it's well outside my personal experience). Perhaps all you would need would be the appropriate source for wire (has to be easier) rather than an appropriate source for mail (has to be difficult). Just a thought?
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Paul Mortimer

PostPosted: Sun 04 May, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have thought about it Russ, but the time commitment at the moment is more than I want to make, but it will be a consideration for the future. I made a butted coat nearly twenty years ago and that took quite a while, I would think a solid and riveted coat will take longer. I can probably source wrought iron wire.
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Sun 04 May, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tobias Capwell wrote:
Right, for many uses copper rivets provide a perfectly respectable join. Something which is technically weaker might not actually be noticeably weaker in practical terms.

The radiological conclusion was of copper-alloy rivets. There is no reason to presume these are weaker or softer. In The Manufacture of Mail in Medieval Europe: A Technical Note, Alan Williams gives the hardness of wrought iron which might have been used in the Sutton Hoo byrnie as around 80 VPH. The later brass rings analyzed were averaging 95 VPH. A lot would depend on the unknown alloy.

Paul Mortimer

PostPosted: Sun 25 May, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mart -- I suspect that there is much in what you say; that copper rivets would sacrifice little (if any) in the way of strength to iron and may not have been much of a compromise. I still need to get over to Oxford to chat about it to Brian Gilmour but have been committed to too many other things recently. It should happen soon though.
Alan Williams may be right, although there was no iron left to test in that mail coat and the rivets were metallurgically examined to determine they were made of almost pure copper.
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Mon 26 May, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul,

I think that's simply a general hardness for wrought iron which could have been used in the Roman, Dark Ages. or early medieval period. The only thing I have seen from reports is "copper alloy", so any information of a source for nearly pure copper would be appreciated.

C.S. Smith mentioned a Turkish mail shirt (Met 36.25.489 E) having some copper rivets used, possibly in repair.
http://www.themailresearchsociety.erikds.com/pdf/tmrs_pdf_5.pdf
Quote:
One of the Turkish links
(No. 15), which bears a heavily stamped design, actually has fake rivet heads.
Many of the rings in this shirt are not welded, although overlapping wires are
flattened—perhaps just an unintentional result of careless welding at too low a
temperature. Some of these links have small copper rivets, apparently added
later. The rivet heads on most of the samples are spread out very flatly,
suggesting closure with a sharp hammer blow instead of slow pressure, which
would cause deep deformation.

Unfortunately the Met doesn't have photos included in their recent update.
http://www.metmuseum.org/collection/the-colle...=36.25.489

Paul Mortimer

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Mart.

Sorry to leave this for so long, but it has been a busy summer.

I went to Oxford yesterday and was able to talk to Brian regarding the use of copper rivets and he feels, as others have already suggested, that they were included for their appearance and that the loss of strength, as opposed to iron, may not be all that great.

We were mostly there to discuss sword making.

I also went to the British Museum recently and had a close look at the original mass of corrosion that was the mail coat. I hadn't seen it for some time and was surprised at how small the links appear to be. I wasn't in a position to try and measure them, unfortunately. I may try to do that in the future, but I can see why they could only estimate the link diameter -- I think the estimate, though, is a bit on the large size as they, on average look smaller than 8mm to me.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
The copper rivets are perplexing. Nobody has come up with a plausible reason why they were used. Perhaps they were intended for decorative purposes.

Agreed it is a very baffling puzzle. I have previously suggested that these could have been a repair. I don't know of any way to prove or disprove the idea. A copper alloy could easily be more difficult than soft iron to work hot or cold. I have not heard if the rivet method is appropriate and of the same quality and technique as the rest of the rivets. Their appearance could have been acceptable, and done under logistical conditions when appropriate soft iron wire was not available. More information is really needed to take the idea seriously, but I am not sure I would dismiss it with a lack of relevant factual information.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:
The copper rivets are perplexing. Nobody has come up with a plausible reason why they were used. Perhaps they were intended for decorative purposes.

Agreed it is a very baffling puzzle. I have previously suggested that these could have been a repair. I don't know of any way to prove or disprove the idea.

The fact that the copper-alloy rivets appear in whole rows rather than in scattered rings is indicative of construction rather than repair.

Paul Mortimer

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree Mart -- the copper rivets are part of the design and always intended to be there. To completely replace iron rivets with copper ones, I feel, would be a step too far.

I wonder how common a practice it was to use copper-based rivets? Unfortunately, there are so few examples to go on. For this period 5th to 7th century -- the Sutton Hoo mail coat is the mail find from England. As far as I am aware, all mail finds from the Continent, during this time, had iron rivets.
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A step too far? Metallurgically, copper rivets should be fine. Economics might say it's a step too far - or conspicuous consumption. (Though pure copper doesn't put us into the iron vs bronze comparison, which depends on tin prices.)

With rivets, you care about the toughness of the metal. Hardness doesn't matter. If you were making copper rings, then hardness would matter - too soft, and the rings are easy to cut. But nobody is going to be cutting the rivets in battle, since they're protected by the link.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sutton Hoo mail coat - solid and riveted with copper rivets.
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: