Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Low priced Hanwei Edward III Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Low priced Hanwei Edward III         Reply with quote

Hello all. Recently I came across this website that sells Paul Chen's Edward III sword for only $160. I ordered from this website a while ago and found them very reliable. They got an out of stock spearhead to me within two weeks.

Here is the website. www.kultofathena.com

It is under European swords to the far right. I ordered one and they honored the price, my guess is they are removing it from their inventory. The Arms and Armor piece, although much much higher quality, costs $830. So for $680 less, and with a leather over wood scabbard, there shouldn't be too much to complain about.

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, Aaron,

Did you ever receive your Hanwei Edward III? And what is your review?
Benjamin McCracken

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It doesn't appear to be on sale anymore. Bummer. The price is listed as $229.95.

Ben

"Your sword is your shield!"
Christian Henry Tobler
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin McCracken wrote:

It doesn't appear to be on sale anymore. Bummer. The price is listed as $229.95.

Ben

I had noticed that the price increased, but $230 is still well below Hanwei's list price. But, pricing aside, I was interested in impressions from the presumably new owner. Russ Ellis did a review of the A&A Edward III, and he considered the A&A to be vastly superior, which I would certainly expect. Björn Hellqvist did a review of the Hanwei Marshall sword, and I was curious if Aaron might have similar impressions of his Hanwei Edward III.
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all. The sword wasn't exactly my style, but it was a marvelous deal for the price, more than worth it. It had some minor grinding flaws, but the gold plating and enameling was very good for a production sword. The scabbard was a perfect fit and looks like it would cost more then the sword and scabbard combo even at the $230 price. I might pick on up later on if my unquenchable taste for viking era weapons is ever saded. I've owned the William Marshall and it was much better than it.
How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Aaron's impression of the comparative merits of the Edward III versus the William Marshall. I bought one of the discounted EIIIs shortly after Aaron posted the link to the sale. The sword 's price was apparently reduced because the scabbard fittings had some spots from storage. They cleaned up quickly with steel wool, leaving a pleasing aged appearance to the scabbard. The EIII feels more like a real sword, and the blade profile and edge are superior to my folded steel WM. Since I did not buy it for cutting, and don't know anything about the tang, I can't comment on whether it would be safe to cut with the EIII. The EIII was certainly worth the sale price, and it is probably worth the standard price to anyone looking for a reasonably historical decorative sword who is not addicted to Albion or A&A standards of quality.
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
who is not addicted to Albion or A&A standards of quality.

I like how you mention that... cause I was thinking the same thing! Wink

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:
Steve Fabert wrote:
who is not addicted to Albion or A&A standards of quality.

I like how you mention that... cause I was thinking the same thing! Wink

Well, once you experience a certain standard, and decide you like it, that standard tends to become your 'low acceptable limit', along with the associated budget/credit requirements!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Well, once you experience a certain standard, and decide you like it, that standard tends to become your 'low acceptable limit', along with the associated budget/credit requirements!

*sigh* It's so true...

Though, speaking as a person who's addicted to the higher quality stuff and no longer owns lower end swords, I do always recommend MRL and Hanwei to people who just can't afford/don't want to spend the money for higher end pieces.
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If your budget and tastes make the purchase of a sword priced below $250 a comfortable choice, then the Hanwei Edward III is one that would reasonably be near the top of your list. It certainly impresses people who are new to sword collecting or medieval history in general. I am happy to own the EIII even though I also own eleven Albions and an A&A Type XI. So only a complete snob would cross the EIII off the wish list without careful thought.
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While I truly love my swords, I have to admit that the "inner barbarian" in me (I grew up wanting to be Conan not Lancelot) likes the simple things in life such as this: http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~2606...r+Club.htm Evil
Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:

*sigh* It's so true...

Though, speaking as a person who's addicted to the higher quality stuff and no longer owns lower end swords, I do always recommend MRL and Hanwei to people who just can't afford/don't want to spend the money for higher end pieces.

It's scary how that happens isn't it? My first sword was a kris cutlery katana 29. My second was an A&A GBS. I've managed to keep things more or less in the GBS price range with the exception of some wild flights like the Powning piece I just sold, the Sture sword, and the Tritonia I just purchased. However the natural progression seems to be towards more expensive swords over time. I'm fighting it, but it's there...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
It's scary how that happens isn't it?

Indeed. Unfortunately quality isn't cheap. If you're like me you find that as the quality increases the size of the collection tends to decrease due to the cost.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Quote:

Indeed. Unfortunately quality isn't cheap. If you're like me you find that as the quality increases the size of the collection tends to decrease due to the cost.

It's something I keep telling people, a lot of newcomers on SFI always ask, where can I get a good cheap sword. My first answer is always, and will always remain: low costs and quality hardly even go hand in hand, especially when it comes to swords. There are expections, but I also always say, the exception confirms the rule. Perhaps that saying is slightly different in English, however, English is not my first language. Happy
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Quote:

It's something I keep telling people, a lot of newcomers on SFI always ask, where can I get a good cheap sword. My first answer is always, and will always remain: low costs and quality hardly even go hand in hand, especially when it comes to swords. There are expections, but I also always say, the exception confirms the rule. Perhaps that saying is slightly different in English, however, English is not my first language. Happy

Thomas, I think that sums it up nicely in any language. I'm finding Patrick's statement also dead on - the older I get, the more expensive the toys - and that I have traded in the sizeable collection of my youth for a much smaller, more refined group. It's coming around again, though... Big Grin

I just priced wood, glass, and hardware for a display cabinet. I want to keep the collection up, safe from grubby paws (and to keep those same paws safe from the sharp edges). I'll have to forgo one sword purchase just to afford the wood! THAT hurts my feelings...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Quote:

From my view, anyway, the quality versus quantity tradeoff is just fine. Unlike all of you other folks with your huge mansions Laughing Out Loud I have a limited amount of sword space in my house.

Aside from the space issue, I really don't want a large collection. I would like to keep the size of my collection small enough that I can really appreciate each individual piece. This doesn't mean that all of the pieces need to be high-end. There are still some MRL pieces that interest me, like their Falchion.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
... I am happy to own the EIII even though I also own eleven Albions and an A&A Type XI. So only a complete snob would cross the EIII off the wish list without careful thought.

Eleven Albions? Ok, so which ones do you have? (One must never let an opportunity like that slip by, and you know everyone here will love it!)
(Of course, we will love it more with pictures!)
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Eleven Albions? Ok, so which ones do you have? (One must never let an opportunity like that slip by, and you know everyone here will love it!)
(Of course, we will love it more with pictures!)

I forgot one. My dozen Albions:

1. FirstGen Hastings

2. FirstGen Crecy

3. FirstGen Fulham Gladius

4. FirstGen Acre

6. FirstGen Migration D

7. FirstGen Gaddhjalt

8. NextGen Sovereign

9. NextGen Prince

10. NextGen Landgraf

11. NextGen Sempach

12. Custom XVa, built on prototype Spadona blade - looks a bit like the Mercenary but with a disc pommel

I am still waiting for my Kingmaker, which I hope will be shipped before summer arrives.

I have seven of them hanging together on my office wall, so I do need to get a photo taken and post it.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:

...I have seven of them hanging together on my office wall, so I do need to get a photo taken and post it.

An impressive list, Steve. Looking forward to the picture.

How do you manage to have swords in your office? I would be fired in a heartbeat for bringing anything that might be called a weapon in to the office. (I work for a very, very large international corporation)
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:

How do you manage to have swords in your office? I would be fired in a heartbeat for bringing anything that might be called a weapon in to the office. (I work for a very, very large international corporation)

I am an attorney, and I own the office along with my partners. They are not hostile to my hobby, and nobody has ever voiced an objection (not that they would, once the swords were present). I once had a retired judge settle a lawsuit by taking one of my swords off the wall and pretending to threaten the attorney for the opposing party with it. So they are a subject of interest and conversation, just as they would be in a museum. The armor pieces and maces draw at least as many comments as the swords. I keep putting off the labor of erecting a suit of armor in the corner, but it will happen one day soon.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Low priced Hanwei Edward III
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: