Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How to proper care the leather grip of an Albion sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alessandro Petrocco

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: How to proper care the leather grip of an Albion sword         Reply with quote

Hi to all, i want some advice to proper care the leather wrap of my Albion.

I use balistoll oil for the blade and the fittings, i was wondering what's the best product for the leather.

My Albion is brand new, i don't know if this information is usefull.

Thanks to all and best wishes.

Happy

"There's a beast in every man and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand"
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can use a number of substances. Beeswax is traditional-- rub a dab in with a soft cloth. Fiebig's Saddle Soap. A very small amount of Vaseline. Google 'leather maintenance'. Email Albion and ask them what they recommend. Always remember, test a small piece before you actually use it.

Bear in mind that part of the ownership of a sword is that it will naturally 'mature' as you use it. If you mean to preserve and protect it, the best thing you can do is put it in a hermetically sealed case. Otherwise, with handling and use, the sword leather will naturally change colour and develop a bit of wear. This is perfectly normal and shows a great deal of love, like a well-used old tool.
Alessandro Petrocco

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
You can use a number of substances. Beeswax is traditional-- rub a dab in with a soft cloth. Fiebig's Saddle Soap. A very small amount of Vaseline. Google 'leather maintenance'. Email Albion and ask them what they recommend. Always remember, test a small piece before you actually use it.

Bear in mind that part of the ownership of a sword is that it will naturally 'mature' as you use it. If you mean to preserve and protect it, the best thing you can do is put it in a hermetically sealed case. Otherwise, with handling and use, the sword leather will naturally change colour and develop a bit of wear. This is perfectly normal and shows a great deal of love, like a well-used old tool.

Thanks for the advice, i specified that the sword is brand new just because i tought the leater is not seasoned yet. (i hope to explain myself in a proper way, english is not my mother lenguage) but the sword is so perfec that i'd like to preserve it as long as i can. It's stupid and a little bit childish, i know but it's my feeling right now. Happy

"There's a beast in every man and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand"
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ballistol was developed for the German military as an 'all round' all and will protect leather just as effectively as it will metal.
"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Dean F. Marino

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A question - does anyone know what Albion uses for Grip Leather Glue?

Reason I ask - knowing this, the leather can be protected with a product that will NOT penetrate, and potentially degrade the Grip Leather GLUE.

In edhil, hai edhil. In edain, hai edain.
Leo Rousseau

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are some very simple way to care for leather grips (I do not own any albion but that's what I do to most of my grips). You can use Nivea or equivalent moistening cream for babies. Just put a nut on a piece of cloth and rub/massage it into your grip. Linseed oil or neatsfoot oil (a product used for leather saddle care) can also do the job, but oil treatment often tends to darken the leather.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have your read our article?

Care and Maintenance of the Modern Replica

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Dean F. Marino

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Have your read our article?

Care and Maintenance of the Modern Replica

Nathan - yes, I have... here is your excerpt:

"The sword's grip can be cared for in a number of ways. Most leather grips have been covered with leather that has been shrunk to fit with beeswax or something similar. The resulting covering is tight a free of give. Products such as Neat's-foot oil may be used. If chosen they should, however, be used sparingly so as not to loosen the fit of the leather"

... and that's why I asked about the glue used. Many glues are impervious to organic solvents (Epoxy comes to mind). SEVERAL may be adversely affected by organic oils. This isn't a "you are using the wrong glue" complaint.... it's a quest for understanding the best product for both the leather, and it's support system Happy.

Now - the particular glue may very well be a trade secret - no problem. A mild experiment: consider hitting one or two "glue coated dummy grips" with a few of these products - then watch for softening, or cracking, of the glue. Simple, fast, and Albion will gain the advantage of more specific care recommendations.

In edhil, hai edhil. In edain, hai edain.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How to proper care the leather grip of an Albion sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic