Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A&A messers and Darkwood Armoury messers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: A&A messers and Darkwood Armoury messers         Reply with quote

As I have found next to not much on either of these messers (trainers) how have people found them? In terms of durability, paired against other weapons like various makers longswords, flex, grip length use etc.
Which is the favorite?

For me I like the look of the DW messer and the long curved pommel, the A&A looked to be more tool like and ugly, but then I saw what it must have been based off, and gave it another look.
As they are both fairly closely priced you could go either way.

cheers.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you want to see some specs on the A&A messer, look HERE at Kult of Athena.

There is a thread HERE about the A&A. It goes into some detail, and is overall quite favorable to it. I have one myself. Though I haven't had occasion to use it yet, it feels light and handy, has a good, solid, durable edge, and looks like it can take some punishment. It doesn't look like many of the original messers, but I believe A&A determined that the more they looked like those more elaborate types, the more expensive they would be. They would also weigh a lot more.

I had some trouble finding the messer at Darkwood, but finally came across it - HERE It does have more of a beak on the pommel than does the A&A.
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yea thanks I had found where to aquire them from, and I did stumble across that thread, I was more hoping for a more up to date view on these two trainers as I have heard little.
cheers.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The current version of the A&A is even nicer than earlier models. They are very lively and very tough. Several of my students and I put ours through serious use with almost no problems. One of my guys did have a blade break very recently against a very out of control opponent, and this is after two years of hard use, and A&A replaced it anyway.

The Darkwood model handles very well, too, but the edges are a bit more square, which means you'll have to file them down yourself. The one I handled had a little less presence than the A&A, so I like the A&A a little more because of that, but both are fairly comparable in terms of general feel. I have not used the Darkwood other than swinging it around in the air, though, so I can't tell you much more than that.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A&A messers and Darkwood Armoury messers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic