I was bored this weekend....
So I thought hmmm.... Blaz's work gave me the thought "I wonder what the Berserkr will look like?" :D . So spurred on by curiosity, boredom and, Peter's wonderful sketches I drew this........

Enjoy!

Attachment: 6.51 KB
Berserkrart.jpg
Peter's sketch from Albion's site

Attachment: 11.27 KB
Berserkr_nc.jpg
Another view of the model

Attachment: 30.95 KB
berserkr_nc2.jpg
Dramatic view of the model
Looks nice! Makes me wish that I had some small skill in the 3D modelling department. It might save me some time (and frustration) on some of my blacksmithing projects, as well as helping me to show other people what the heck I am talking about.

-Grey
He he... Very nice work!

Modelling looks quite believable - I must confess that until I saw some of the images on this site and in book "Swords of Viking Age" I didn't really understood the geometry of lower and upper hilt and pommel on most Viking swords. This kind of representation lets you display some of ideas and things much better than any drawing.

Polygon count could be a bit higher - you have some rough angles "poking" through the pommel and hilt, and maybe the ridge on a grip is not prominent enough. Also I would try to round just a bit all the sharp edges on hilts and pommel - I'm sure workers at Albion spend quite some time to do that, so you don't cut yourself on a wrong side of a sword. :D Also the material could use a bit of work - maybe with some HDRI reflection maps... But other than that, it's very nice.

What kind of cross section have you used and did you model any distal taper?

What program have you used?

Thank you for posting the picture. I hope I'm not asking too many questions.

Blaz
Hi Blaz,

Thanks for the thoughts. I just did this as a quickie model for the most part and yes, I agree about the textures although I have no idea what HDRI is. I am using fairly simple textures but they work alright. I'm at work right now or I'd show you the cross section. When I get home I'll post pics. And finally; yes, there is some distal taper (& profile taper too) though I don't know how accurate it is. Oh, and if the rough angle is that line around the pommel, that's intentional. take a look at the Hersir and see what's missing :p .

Cheers,
Thats some awesome work, both of you! Have you ever thought about marketing your talents? I'm sure lots of people would like to see their custom ideas in 3D first before shelling out $$$$$ for steel :)
Here is the cross section that I promised. I'm not sure if it's historically accurate to this period but it made more sense to me than a flat false edge. I also included an updated render after a little more tweaking :D . Oh, and the program I used was Blender 3D.

Cheers,

Attachment: 33.03 KB
berserkr_nc3.jpg
The updated render

Attachment: 3.22 KB
berserkr_nc4.jpg
Blade cross section

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: