Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Information regarding swiss saber Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Li Fu Xiang

PostPosted: Sun 21 Dec, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Information regarding swiss saber         Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm doing some research about the swiss saber - the history of it, usage, different models throughout history, etc... Anything that Swiss saber related.

So far my google-fu only produce the link back to myArmoury (from Nathan's excellent review of A&A custom Swiss saber) and wikipedia. Beyond those two, I seems have difficulties finding good material.

Anyone can suggest a website/book that I can study to understand more about this weapon?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 21 Dec, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

European Weapons and Armour: From the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution
By by Ewart Oakeshott

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To be fair, that book was rather light on the Swiss saber from what I recall. Regardless I will agree that it is one of the better and more easily obtainable English-language sources out there. I'm really not sure what else is out there, apart from some threads here that could be found via a "site:myArmoury.com/talk/ Swiss saber" search.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So-called "Swiss Sabers" are just a hilt variation of a longsword with a compound hilt. Oakeshott's book describes the influences of the hilt style and that's about the only information specific to the type that's unique.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Marik C.S.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
So-called "Swiss Sabers" are just a hilt variation of a longsword with a compound hilt. Oakeshott's book describes the influences of the hilt style and that's about the only information specific to the type that's unique.

They are also almost exclusively single-edged, which makes them very interesting from a usage point of view.
I suspect looking at the large Kriegsmessers might be a good way to start looking for pointers on the use of swiss sabres in contrast to "regular" longswords.

Europe - Where the History comes from. - Eddie Izzard
Luke Adams

PostPosted: Tue 23 Dec, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought the Swiss saber was a slightly curved blade that's sharpened fully on its true edge and only partially sharpened (the top 1/3) on the false edge. Then again, I could completely wrong since I only know this by word-of-mouth.
"God gives the nuts, but he does not crack them."
- German proverb
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 23 Dec, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luke Adams wrote:
I thought the Swiss saber was a slightly curved blade that's sharpened fully on its true edge and only partially sharpened (the top 1/3) on the false edge. Then again, I could completely wrong since I only know this by word-of-mouth.

I think you are right, all good reproductions I know of are made that way...
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Wed 24 Dec, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Information regarding Swiss sabre         Reply with quote

Swiss sabres have been around in what is now Switzerland during the early modern period starting from 1648 or earlier.
But I guess in the 1700's the sabre fell into disuse and was replaced with other swords from that period.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Li Fu Xiang

PostPosted: Fri 26 Dec, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

myArmoury is really a tresure cove of great information!
Just found this link last night...
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.5122.html

It's old thread (from 2005) but have a lot of interesting discussion...
Jens Nordlunde

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Historisches Museum Bern has the famous Moser Collection of Oriental weapons, but it has been packed away. The no doubt also have Swiss weapons, but I dont think they are on exhibition, and I dont know of any weapon catalogue from this museum.
Landesmuseum in Zurich (the National Museum) has a big collection of Swiss weapons, all packed away and there is no catalogue on the weapons. I dont know if there is an old catalogue, but the weapons were moved to the rserves about ten years ago.
There may be some old books somewhere on early Swiss weapons, but I know of none, as I collect Indian weapons.
Jens Nordlunde

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try to ask the Landesmuseum here http://www.nationalmuseum.ch/e/sammlung_forschung.php they may be able to help you.
Carl W.

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
...the link back to myArmoury (from Nathan's excellent review of A&A custom Swiss saber)...

If saves others' time - it took a while to find this - its in Nathan's Collection, not in Reviews.

Shahril, what is your photo of? (are there more pics/info somewhere?) It is interesting & appears quite nice. It is maybe shorter and/or more curved than others referenced so far in this topic?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl W. wrote:
Quote:
...the link back to myArmoury (from Nathan's excellent review of A&A custom Swiss saber)...

If saves others' time - it took a while to find this - its in Nathan's Collection, not in Reviews.

Yeah. I didn't know what review was referenced either since I've never written a hands-on review of one. haha...

Here's the link to my collection gallery sample:

Quote:
Shahril, what is your photo of? (are there more pics/info somewhere?) It is interesting & appears quite nice. It is maybe shorter and/or more curved than others referenced so far in this topic?

That sword is made by JT Pälikkö: http://www.kp-art.fi/jt/miekat/17a.html
I believe it's roughly based on the same as mine from A&A: Wallce Collection A489. The angle of the photo makes the hilt look proportionally larger than it is.

Li Fu Xiang

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Carl W. wrote:
Quote:

Yeah. I didn't know what review was referenced either since I've never written a review of one. haha...

well, the thread is tagged with "Product Review" Happy

Anyway... my apologies for not linking the thread before...
Here is the thread Nathan created in 2009 ( http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=17910 )

BTW, thank you for the European Weapons and Armour book reference... Reading it now...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Information regarding swiss saber
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic