Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword Guard Attachment Methods Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Willy M

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peening the tang over the pommel does work but you need four hands, two to apply pressure to the parts to hold them in snug position.

I use an 45° 1/4 inch wide chisel to displace metal of the guard against the blade. Has a neater appearance. Some brass guards have had a X shape punch do the same function. It prevents the brass from shearing off if punch is too close to the edge.

The welding shown is actually a poor brazing job, parts were not heated sufficiently. Leave brazing for the muffler repair shop.
Silver Solder works much better and flows in between the parts rather than blob around the outside. Once the parts are at proper temperature with flux applied it takes about 2 seconds to run the silver solder into the joint. Heat stop can be used so no high heat damages the temper. No blobbing or excess solder raised on your parts.

A leather blade washer cut so the shoulders of the blade put pressure against the leather then peen the tang same as in first method described. The British 1796LC sword was made this way.
When you find old swords with a loose guard but the tang is peened tight you should see a gap between blade shoulder and guard where a leather washer once was.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Arlen Gillaspie wrote:
I have worked on a fair number of swords in the 400 to 500 year old range, and the guards were all quite loose. Of course, few of them had working life grips on them, but even the ones that did were not at all tight. Wooden wedges could have shrunk, I suppose.

As would wooden grips, at that. Add corrosion and general wear - and IME once a component begins to come loose, it will start to wear faster - and I think it's reasonable to assume most of them were actually fairly tight when new.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 04 Mar, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Willy M wrote:
Peening the tang over the pommel does work but you need four hands, two to apply pressure to the parts to hold them in snug position.

Not really. If the pommel is fit properly to the tang, it will wedge on to the tang when it is driven on with a wooden mallet or other non-marring hammers. This creates a fit that is quite secure even without a peen. The peen then prevents the pommel from unseating from excessive shock. This all can be accomplished with two hands. :-)
Willy M

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should have specified the type of sword I was thinking about. British infantry and others with backstrap, fishskin covered grip wrapped in wire and a forward ferrle. Difficult to get the peen tight with just two hands, seems to bounce back when peening.
It can be done with two, just easier to have things fitting properly and lined up.
Other swords as described are easier as Eric says.
Gossart Pierre

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

this discussion is really interesting
as I 'm the happy owner of the sword of Peter , I post the photo of the pommel after finish
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh...my bad. Sorry bout that. Big Grin
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gossart Pierre wrote:
this discussion is really interesting
as I 'm the happy owner of the sword of Peter , I post the photo of the pommel after finish

Yes...Peter is somewhat competent at making swords. I think he has a future in it. :-D

Seriously, Peter was the main guy that helped give me my start, and I know that pommel on that sword you have was fit very precisely. That is another example of why he is one of the best.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword Guard Attachment Methods
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: