Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Late 16th Cent Italian Short Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 19 Feb, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Late 16th Cent Italian Short Sword         Reply with quote

Hello all,

I recently purchased a few original sixteenth and seventeenth century swords to add to my own collection (I am more than happy to share details of the others, if there is interest). I am particularly curious about one of them, and they are all a bit outside my field of study.

The sword is similar to a left handed dagger one might use in conjunction with a rapier, but overall with larger proportions. The quillons are much larger more substantial, and the weapon is made distinctly thicker and more swordlike (overall length 26" and with a blade length of about 21"), with a slightly rounded/spatulate point.

The blade is too narrow to be a cinquedea, but overall I suppose it would fill a similar role. How would you define this weapon? I am at a loss. Its a short sword style unique to Italy, for this period, but how does one think it would be used? In conjunction to some sort of target/buckler? Its not a sword type in FIore or Vadi.

(note the full-length shot is the last photo posted here)

Cheers!

Hadrian

Attachment: 69.42 KB
ISS-3.JPG

Attachment: 61.38 KB
ISS-4.JPG

Attachment: 74.26 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 76.05 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 54.46 KB
[ Download ]

Historia magistra vitae est
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antique Weapon Store? Greg is a good guy and he has a pretty nice inventory. I'm unfamiliar with that weapon type, I'll look through a few books tonight. It's similar to a 16th century side sword I've seen before. As for the rounded tip, I don't believe it started out that way. I'm inclined to think that the tip was worn down over time.
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, ordered from Greg.

My thoughts on the tip are the same, though I have yet to see the sword in person. I am hoping someone with an interest in 16th century sword types has seen similar in a painting/etching/wood cut... or a similar weapon in a museum. A quick look through my photos didn't reveal anything similar. It is quite short by comparison to most arming/side swords I've seen. Though definitely still longer than most daggers.

Cheers!

Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It seems quite similar to this sword in the Wallace Collection. I guess I would define it as an arming sword. Anyone have any period artwork?

Cheers!

Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

this form of sword is tipically noth italian, but i have Always seen much longer blades on them. probably your has been broken-shortened?

it is a common sight in late XVIth - XVIIth century paintings, unfortunately i have just lost my data base of images, so i'm not able to post pictures,

i believe that we can classify it as a kind of italian "katzbalger" , a common choice for a pikeman or arquebusier.

it is a very nice example indeed Hadrian

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Late 16th Cent Italian Short Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic