Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Sabre for Solingen Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jarno-T. Pälikkö
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 01 May, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Sabre for Solingen         Reply with quote

Hi All,

It’s that time of the year again and Solingen Messermachermesse is about to start. Here’s the latest long piece I have finished: a 15th century style Hungarian sabre.
The sword is modeled after an original from Hieb- und Stichwaffe, but there are some changes. The blade is two centimeters shorter than the original and the S-shaped guard is taken from an another sword. I choose to make a ”neater looking” guard on this, as the original is of such crude workmanship and looks very ill-balanced. Also, the pommel is bit more crispier than in the original.

The sword weights exactly the same as the original with the grip in place, 1,280 kg. The materials used are 0,75%C steel & iron. The grip is cord wrapped birch with doeskin surface.

The other vital stats are as follows: Oa. length: 107 cm, blade length: 85 cm, width of the blade: 3,6 cm next to hilt & 4,4 cm where the false-edge flares out. The width of the guard is 17,2 cm. Near the hilt the blade is 6,5 mm thick and tapers rather neatly towards the tip.
The point of balance is 13 cm from the guard and pivot point and forward vibration node overlap few centimeters before the false edge begins.

Personally, I kinda like the angled grip, even though it takes a little time for the eyes to get used to it. The handle is just long enough for good two-handed grip and the counter curve gives a very controlled feel to the sword.
Sadly, I’m out of tatami mats, so no test cutting was possible.

Here are some pictures of the sword, I hope you like it.

JT

Attachment: 69.13 KB
JT Hungarian Sabre 1942b_1.jpg

Attachment: 67.03 KB
JT Hungarian Sabre 2923b_1.jpg

Attachment: 135.38 KB
JT Hungarian Sabre 3920b_1.jpg

Attachment: 133.2 KB
JT Hungarian Sabre 4937b_1.jpg

Houston P.

PostPosted: Fri 01 May, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks great! Certainly a very interesting piece. I would definitely like to see more two handed sabers, they have a sort of striking appearance that I enjoy. Do you have any pictures of the original?
...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. (‭Luke‬ ‭22‬:‭36‬)
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 01 May, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nicely done. I truly like the simple, very classic lines, and of course the characteristic yelmen ...
or double edged end-section of the blade. Sweet.

Here's a picture I posted on a thread of my own ...

Jarno-T. Pälikkö
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 02 May, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all,
I'm sorry but the message I wrote last evening disappeared into thin air - apparently the internet connection in the hotel is a bit fickle...

Thanks for the picture Matthew, I would have sent that myself (vacuumed from your thread!).
I have a another of the type here, let's see if I can send it... This sword is slightly more curved and the blade I recall is something like 78 cms long.

JT

Attachment: 21.57 KB
p1020274-1.jpg

Levente M.

PostPosted: Sun 03 May, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool. I used the have a straight-bladed sword with a hilt like this. How long is the false edge?
Jarno-T. Pälikkö
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 03 May, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,
The Messermachermesse is now past and I am pleased to say that the sabre got a fair amount of attention - as once again, Peter and I were the only ones with (European) swords there...

The autumn sword exhibition and its side-show "Sword-makermesse" promises to be VERY interesting!

Thanks, Levente! The length of the secondary edge is 28 cm and it is sharpened all the way.

JT
Gräfrather
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 04 May, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the crooked grip! I think this is the first time I've seen one of these sabres reproduced. Very, very cool. Thanks for sharing the pics...
Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 04 May, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had the chance to hold this sword this weekend and I really liked it. An absolutely ferocious cutter with a very nice feel in hand.
Custom sword maker:

http://www.lukasmaestlegoer.com
Jarno-T. Pälikkö
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 05 May, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Tim! As all sabres of this type have slightly curvy tangs, I assumed that the grips must have been curvy too. I must confess that I was slightly curious to see how people would take the grips’ unusual shape. Im my eyes the crooked grip gives the sword a very distinct, even a bit futuristic look. Few people did not like it and said so, but most loved the shape…

It was a pleasure meeting you Lucas - and your terrific long, longsword! What a beautiful beast it was! Please keep up the good work and we’ll hopefully meet in September - and you should seriously consider having a table at the swordmakers show!

In all, the Solingen knife show was great fun, but I think I got the best giggles from a lady who stood by my table as I was wiping the sabre with a cloth. She looked slightly alarmed a me and the huge blade hovering in front of her. I smiled at her and said: ”It’s all right - I’ve taken my medication today.”

JT
Jarno-T. Pälikkö
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 05 May, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aand here is finally the picture of the original from the Hieb- un Stichwaffen...

JT

Attachment: 88.25 KB
HuS Hungarian Sabre 10053b_1.jpg

Jarno-T. Pälikkö
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jul, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just an update; the sabre, along with some other new(ish) stuff have been added to the webpages. Please check: http://www.kp-art.fi/jt/index_eng.html

Also, For a long time I have been told to go and get a Facebook account for my stuff - and finally I went and steeled myself and did it... so here's the link to FB: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009464596422

There you'll find some photos of the "making of" of the Hungarian sabre and some other stuff, albeit not necessarily so history oriented pieces...

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Sabre for Solingen
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic