Go to page Previous  1, 2

The pillow for the arm was made from the same type of linen as the one the shield has been covered with.

[ Linked Image ]

The inner layers (about 20) were actually made - in quite Medieval-ish manner - from scrap pieces, which have been left from the greater shield panels.
With the help of some narrow leather strips

[ Linked Image ]

the pillow was hammered onto the shield.

[ Linked Image ]
Hi Boris
You should open your own work shop to make custom pieces your work is fantastic you make things look so simple and
understanding some things that you make are not of my time period but I would happily buy every thing you made
Thank you for sharing your posts.
# Jerry
Actually, I make quite often custom pieces for the Bulgarian re-enactors.
And although I've made some for abroad, I hope I'd be able to make my real break-through within a couple of years.
Now, only the painting of the surface remained.
In cases like this, when I have to make multi-coloured picture, I usually start to work from inside-out and from less- to most-used colour. Here, I first made the eyes (white and red) and the wings (yellow and red) of the griffon.

[ Linked Image ]

Note, that I made some derivation from the image of Christa Hook - the eye of the griffon is red, instead of being blue.
Some blue on the upper portion

[ Linked Image ]

and the whole griffon ready

[ Linked Image ]

The rest of the shield was painted white; first with one layer of white acrylic primer

[ Linked Image ]

and after that - with two layers of another acrylic paint.

[ Linked Image ]
That is some excellent work there! You really put a lot of attention into the detail.
Jerry Monaghan wrote:
Hi Boris
You should open your own work shop to make custom pieces your work is fantastic you make things look so simple and
understanding some things that you make are not of my time period but I would happily buy every thing you made
Thank you for sharing your posts.

I'm with Jerry, I've enjoyed your DIY threads and like your work!
Both shields finished:
* front

[ Linked Image ]

** and back

[ Linked Image ]
And some more, detailed images of the shield of our interest

Front:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
..... And back

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Well, that's it for now!
For the next project of similar type I would like to get myself even closer to the original technologies - the use of milk glue (or something similar) and tempera, milk (or other organic-based) paints would just be great.

Thank you very much for watching this thread, the encouragement and all the positive comments so far. Of course, any new comments, thoughts and critisizm would be highly appreciated.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: