Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > First Purchase: Flanged Mace vs Morningstar/Spiked Mace Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 

Which mace do you recommend me to buy?
1. (Unknown Manufacturer) Late Medieval Flanged Mace
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2. Arms & Armor High Gothic Mace
86%
 86%  [ 19 ]
3. Arms & Armor Spiked Mace
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
4. Ritter Steel Authentics Skull Mace
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 22

Leelund K

PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hope I didn't come off as calling the durability of the maces into question when I asked about the shafts. I was just being curious. Thanks for the detailed explanation of the construction methods, Craig!

Some of the descriptions of the "pauper's" maces remind me of a Simpsons episode when the RIgeleans tried to take over Springfield with boards that had nails in them. Use what you have, I suppose.
William P

PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Anything from Ritter Steel is overweight and meant for display. It's not really representing anything from history. The "Unknown Manufacturer" one is absurd in proportion, Both those examples are just plain ugly.

You can't go wrong with Arms & Armor. The Gothic mace is my favorites.
interesting you say that since http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...anged+Mace this one is the one matt easton uses as an example of a mace in his videos(or maybe his is a much better made version of the same design)
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Anything from Ritter Steel is overweight and meant for display. It's not really representing anything from history. The "Unknown Manufacturer" one is absurd in proportion, Both those examples are just plain ugly.

interesting you say that since http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...anged+Mace this one is the one matt easton uses as an example of a mace in his videos(or maybe his is a much better made version of the same design)

Mileage varies.

Truthfully, I thought the "unknown manufactured" version was another one with very strange proportions. There's so many makers copying each other it's hard to tell what is what based on photos alone. The one Matt Easton has in his video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnveFLcgoG0 ) isn't the oversized and strangely proportioned one I thought the Kult of Athena one was selling.

I think the one Matt has is from the Knight Shop. The proportions are nice. I wonder why they chose to sharpen the flanges. I suppose because they used a smaller gauge sheet metal to make them rather than forge them or use a heavier weight material as would be seen on originals.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Tyler Jordan

PostPosted: Mon 17 Aug, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Though I do have to point out that Matt's mace got slightly bent at some point. Guessing the hollow shaft isn't as strong as it looks.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > First Purchase: Flanged Mace vs Morningstar/Spiked Mace
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: