Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Squire Line Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Frank Perkin

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Albion Squire Line Swords         Reply with quote

Anyone had a good look at one? What do you get for under $400?
Andreas G

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out this thread
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ght=squire
Harlan Hastings
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You get the same blade as is used on the Next Generation swords, with a bit lower level of finish and rebated edges (although they can be sharpened). The fittings are simpler in style and finished to match the blade. The hilt is wrapped with leather but lacks the riser/cord details of the NG line. Construction methods used in the Squire Line and the NG line are identical.

Think of them as the Humvee instead of the Hummer. Plain Jane they might be but they're all business where it counts.
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here can you look at squire line viking,
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p...ght=#23836

i have a Vinland to and what i can see there are same finish on the blade
and the pommel and croosguard don't have same high finish as vinland,

The only thing is that, you don't want any poor quality lower price swords after you get this one,
because it is proper made all way.
Happy

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings All, I received an Albion Squire Line Viking that I picked up on the Marketplace yesterday. I will happily third the opinions here. I own an Albion Gotland and it is amazing how similar the 2 are in the handling department. Granted the Squire Line is not highly finished as the Gotland but is has everything going for it where it counts. When you consider the price, you can't go wrong and will definitely be spoiled. Albion really has something here and I hope they maintain and expand this line. Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats on your new Albion, Patrick !

The Squire line is a very good value .... it will enable alot of folks to obtain high quality swords at an affordable price !

I got to handle a few out of this new line, at the Vegas show, and was impressed !

Albions always thinking (& doing) , no doubt about it ! Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Jim West

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all. i'm new here. After twenty years I have come back to my first interest. i've been lurking, searching and reading quite a bit. My question to Patirik Lindblom and Patrick Fitzmartin about the Albion Squire Viking, How long is the grip. My sword hand is four inches index knuckle to my little finger knuckle. There is very little "wiggle" room here as my bones are quite large and the musculature in both hands is larger than normal due to manual labor. I am interested in the Albion squire as I know how the blade and tang are constructed. I am also interested in the armour class line of viking swords but I have not yet found any info on what type of tang they use. Any info on either line of swords would be greatly appreciated. Since this is my first post I should say that my name given to me by my father and his parents is Raymond. My name given to me by my mother and her parents is Hunter. The name that I hear yelled at me more often than not is Jim or James. I don't know why but thats what the elders in the county have decided my name is. i'm registered under that name but you can call me wich ever , I don't mind. Thanks! Jim( insert name here) Laughing Out Loud
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raymond ( Jim )

I can't tell you exactly the size of the grip of the Squire line Viking but my Next Generation Gaddhjalt has a 4.5" inch grip and on the Albion site if you look at all their Viking Next generation line you can get a rough idea of the length of the grips as the photos are at the same scale: To me they look to be very close to the size of my sword. (Maybe 4 or 4.25 inches if slightly smaller.)

My hand is about 3.5 inches across and there is more than enough room when I hold my Gaddhjalt grip.

Just E-Mail Mike at Albion and I am sure that he will be happy to give you the dimensions of the grip.

With the Squire line don't forget to ask if you want it sharp as they are normally uncharpened: it depends on your intended use.

And welcome to this site.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim West

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thank you for the reply and thanks for the welcome. Happy I know about the dull edge on the squire line swords. i've never had anything else but antique sharpes . i'm pretty sure I can work with the blended edge that Albion provides. I really hope the dimensions are the same as you provided. i'm not putting you to the flame mind you, i'm just thinking out loud in cyberspace. I know Albion makes a good product. I just need as much info as I can get(must obsess, fussbudget) before I make a purchase. Raymond Hunter West (jim will work to) Let me know wich name you prefer. Around here there are mostly elderly folks. to them I am Jim. Apparently theres not a damned thing I can do about it . Eek!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raymond;

Well the odds are that a few weeks from now we will probably all be calling you Jim just because that's the name under which you registered and we won't remember your first post explaining the other first names you prefer.

Hey, you might be able to edit your registration information to Raymond or Hunter.

Like I said just go the the Albion site and they will E-Mail you back any information you need confirmed. ( Their customer service is excellent. )

I've been on this site for almost a year and I have not seen any "Flame" wars that lasted past 1 or 2 warnings.
The moderators are very mellow but insist on curtious exchanges: They encourage discussion and don't care how much people disagree as long as it's done in a respectfull way.

( Also arguments that went over the line were less in number than the fingers of one hand. )

By the way I took absolutely NO offense that you would want to double check my information and I can only be 100% sure about the dimensions of my Gaddhjalt, the rest is just a guess even if a good one, )

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome Jim/Raymond/Hunter!

I handled the first Squire Line Viking last October. While I can't give you an exact measurement I will say that I have larger than average hands, and there is sufficient room on the grip for my mits. I would echo Jean's advice about contacting Albion directly if an exact measurement is needed.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi and Welcome Jim

The grip on my squire viking are 98mm (~3-7/8'')
and my hand are small, compare with my brothers hands,
little more than that grip, 99mm (see picture) and i don't have any problem with it.

Attachment: 18.5 KB
hand.JPG

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Jim West

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick and patrick thank you for your replies. Jean I am sorry if I came off as rude. It was certainly was not my intent.. It was a bad coice of words on my part. Thank You
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jim;

Not at all: I didn't think you came off as rude, don't worry about it.
It' s always a good thing to check / ask when you think that something was taken badly just in case.

I may have seemed blunt in my reply but that is only the usual problem with written communications being very bad in giving clues to emotions.

What may have been interpreted as irritation on my part was just my attempt to give you as good an answer as I could and cover all your questions.

So, welcome to this forum (Again .... LOL. ) and I hope you enjoy whatever sword you decide to buy.

(Oh, sometimes my sense of humour just does not come across well and people read things between the lines that take me completely by surprise ...... LOL. )

Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings Jim West, My apologies if I got the name wrong but I was a bit confused there. Big Grin I understand the name thing. People butcher mine all the time. Wink Okay on to the requested info which is what you want to begin with. Big Grin
My Gotland's grip measures a hair under 3 3/4".
My Squire Line Viking just under 4". My hand span is about 3 1/2".
The grips are thin on both swords. The pommel is very flat on the Gotland and the SLV has a rounder pommel. I also own an A&A Shifford which has a 3 1/4" grip a with flat pommel and I actually really like it. There is a technique of letting the pommel slide on your palm which "may" make these work better for you. This technique has been debated so I will not say that it is a cure all but it works for me. I do hope this helps. Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Congrats on your new Albion, Patrick !

The Squire line is a very good value .... it will enable alot of folks to obtain high quality swords at an affordable price !

I got to handle a few out of this new line, at the Vegas show, and was impressed !

Albions always thinking (& doing) , no doubt about it ! Mac

Greetings Mac, How the heck are you! Thank you for the congrats. This makes my 2nd Albion Vikng thru "merciless" shopping efforts. I also have one of their axes. Things got a bit stale on the Celtic side so when I started playing with the "Teuton" half, it opened up a whole new world.Eek! I will admit though if A&A or Albion puts out a baskethilt, I may be in a world of hurt. It will still take quite an effort to top the G.G. though. Wink Sincerely, Patrick

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Squire Line Swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic