Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Any experience with MRL's Danish axe? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Any experience with MRL's Danish axe?         Reply with quote

Has anyone purchased or handled MRL's "Viking War Axe"? It isn't listed on their site, but was in the last couple of catalogues.

Michael

"In the fight between you and the world, back the world." - Kafka

"Neither flesh, nor fowl, nor good red-herring..."
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is one I haven't seen, but I have their crusaders axe:

Before I got it my excuse was, "Well, how bad can they screw up an axe, eh?"

After I got it, I was like..."Well, It was only $40, so I can forgive a little, right.....?"

The blade is off center to its axis Sad , is irregular in its edge profile (sort of a wavy curve) Worried , and was dull as a crowbar. Mad The haft was a square block and is not tapered, but pinned in place.... Eek!

The good news is that it sharpened up nice Big Grin I was able to plane the squareness out into a nice octagon grip and then antiqued it with various hits of random tools and then stained....

Over all it was ok for the price. And it ebbed my collection lust for a few weeks... Cool

I have hared good things about the old "troll's bane" and "battle Witch"... but have no idea where to track them down...

If you find out let me know! Laughing Out Loud

P.s thanks for the spell checker Nathan!

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with MRL's Danish axe?         Reply with quote

Michael G. Myers wrote:
Has anyone purchased or handled MRL's "Viking War Axe"? It isn't listed on their site, but was in the last couple of catalogues.

Michael

Any chance of a scan of the axe? I haven't seen it, but my last MRL catalogue was #83

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, Alex. My thanks for the lowdown on the Crusader axe. That's another Windlass piece I always found appealing.

Hi, Aaron. Scan's attached. BTW, mea culpa. When I went to scan the images, I realized the axe is featured on the back cover of #82, but isn't anywhere I could find in #83 (last one for me, too). Hmmm.

Mike

Attachment: 68.47 KB
MRL Danish 2.JPG

Attachment: 20.05 KB
MRL Danish.JPG

Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
I own an A&A Danish war axe (4 years old) and can't recommend it enough. It's a great weapon and solidly constructed. I have had some rattling during the winter months buth with some firm rapping on the axe head wedge it tightens up very nicely. Plus it is fun to maintain the edge if you actually use it.
Jeremy
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:

I have hared good things about the old "troll's bane" and "battle Witch"... but have no idea where to track them down...

Alex, don't know about the Battle Witch... Once in a while they come up for sale around on various fora. I have seldom to never seen anyone selling their Troll's Bane, though. I believe that that particular axe was either designed or designed and actually made by Eddie Floyd for MRL. Maybe you can check with him and see if he can either make you one or might have the bones of one around that he'd be willing to part with.

I was going to try to design a project for Eddie with an old sword blade left over from the MRL run of the fantasy katana... But, my finances have prevented me so far and who knows whether I'll ever manage it... Would be a very nifty little project, though... Happy
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael G. Myers wrote:
Hi, Alex. My thanks for the lowdown on the Crusader axe. That's another Windlass piece I always found appealing.

Hi, Aaron. Scan's attached. BTW, mea culpa. When I went to scan the images, I realized the axe is featured on the back cover of #82, but isn't anywhere I could find in #83 (last one for me, too). Hmmm.

Mike

Weird, MRL has skipped me on two issues, mine jumps from 80 to 83. I would have purchased this axe by now had I seen it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to get one as soon as the two swords I have on eBay sell. Just decided I can't pass this one up. Jim Adelesen of www.Viking-Shield.com just got them in but they aren't on his website yet.
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy, without a doubt the A&A Danish is the lead horse. I've only read of their owners' impressions, but those impressions have all been glowing.

My thanks,

Mike

Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Justice wrote:
I'm going to get one as soon as the two swords I have on eBay sell. Just decided I can't pass this one up. Jim Adelesen of www.Viking-Shield.com just got them in but they aren't on his website yet.

Smiling. Aaron, if you pick one up, please let me know what you think. It's certainly priced so that I should find out for myself, but I'm ever the eternal procrastinator. As a matter of fact, I think you did the footwork that finally pushed me into buying a few other pieces (Windlass European, Del Tin 2105 , Albion Crecy, etc) as well.

Hey, spending other people's money is fun!

Mike

Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael G. Myers wrote:
Jeremy, without a doubt the A&A Danish is the lead horse. I've only read of their owners' impressions, but those impressions have all been glowing.

My thanks,

Mike

Greetings Michael G. Myers, Here is another "glowing" impression. I too own an A&A Danish. I am "very" happy with it. Big Grin I also own an Albion type L which I am very pleased with. I did sell a MRL Battlewitch not to long ago. It was okay. I also own an old MRL type L which I think they sold as a belt axe but it works really well on a 30" haft. They did better work then in my opinion. You could always throw a "looking for" post in the Marketplace and on SFI's Classifieds. I have had some decent luck doing that. That is how I got my A&A Danish. Wink Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Fitzmartin wrote:
Greetings Michael G. Myers, Here is another "glowing" impression. I too own an A&A Danish. I am "very" happy with it. Big Grin I also own an Albion type L which I am very pleased with. I did sell a MRL Battlewitch not to long ago. It was okay. I also own an old MRL type L which I think they sold as a belt axe but it works really well on a 30" haft. They did better work then in my opinion. You could always throw a "looking for" post in the Marketplace and on SFI's Classifieds. I have had some decent luck doing that. That is how I got my A&A Danish. Wink Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin

Hello, Patrick. My thanks for sharing your thoughts on the A&A Danish! I was actually just curious about the Windlass piece. A few months ago, I had read something about knights and men-at-arms rushing from their tents with Danish axes in hand. I think it was in a translation of Third Crusade writings by Helen Nicholson (may even have been Lamb's old work, now that I think about it, as I read them fairly close together and they offered some of the same sources). Anyway, the MRL axe caught my eye again when I noticed it the other day, and I was curious if anyone had any experience with one.

Historic arms in this vein are--I'm afraid to say--a bit of a third-tier hobby on my part, and the Windlass axe was attractive at its price and size.

Anyway, will do! I'll keep my eyes peeled!

My thanks again, Patrick.

Mike

Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: New MRL Viking Axe         Reply with quote

Greetings Michael G. Myers, Your welcome. Big Grin One other thing I do know is MRL has an excellent return policy. You don't like it, send it back, no problem. I have used it alot. Wink If you get one, let us know about it. I can always make room for another axe with a decent review. Laughing Out Loud Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:
This is one I haven't seen, but I have their crusaders axe:

Before I got it my excuse was, "Well, how bad can they screw up an axe, eh?"

After I got it, I was like..."Well, It was only $40, so I can forgive a little, right.....?"

The blade is off center to its axis Sad , is irregular in its edge profile (sort of a wavy curve) Worried , and was dull as a crowbar. Mad The haft was a square block and is not tapered, but pinned in place.... Eek!

The good news is that it sharpened up nice Big Grin I was able to plane the squareness out into a nice octagon grip and then antiqued it with various hits of random tools and then stained....

Over all it was ok for the price. And it ebbed my collection lust for a few weeks... Cool

P.s thanks for the spell checker Nathan!

Hey, I've got one of those too :-)

Not a bad value for the money if you ask me. The axe did come dull and with an ugly mirror polish but I took care of all that. I cut down a few 2 to 3 inch round trees with it so it's pretty sturdy. Anyway, I'm happy with it and put more confidence in their axes than their swords.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Any experience with MRL's Danish axe?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic