myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Great Helm Question? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Alina Boyden

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Here's a nice one from Medieval Reproductions. Pricey but nice looking.

Wow, I really like that one. I need to add some experimental archaeology into my studies. Maybe I can get the department to fork over a "research grant" so I can better understand the ways in which period equipment affected the nature of medieval warfare. Razz
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The great helm that we offer does fit our standard liner and I have installed them for some folks in the past. Putting a basic leather liner in a helmet wouldn't be much trouble. I'd need to tap some holes to hange the liner/chin strap from after measuring the inside diameter to make the leather liner. Give Mikey a call Scott I can put liners in the helms you have.
The reason we our great helm doesn't come lined is the one i'd stated earlier it's the only one we offer thats "SCA"legal (also the helmet type most commonly seen in photos of SCA events) and they preffer to pad the inside with lots of sport foam to meet their organizations requiments for the most part.
Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: lining         Reply with quote

Thanks Allan! I'll give Mike a call. Just a quick question... What sort of turnaround time would we be looking at?

Cheers,
Scott
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Give me a week or so after it gets here to fit them in around regular production and get them back to you.
Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: lining         Reply with quote

Awesome! Big Grin

Thank you!
Scott
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

THIS is how a forum should work! Happy Not only has this thread been very informative, but we've managed to solve a problem as well (i.e. where does one go to get a great helm lined and strapped). Kudos to all who responded, and a special thanks to Allan of Mercenary's Tailor for his willingness to help out. Happy
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My apologies for re hashing an old topic, I have been away from the forum for a while, but I just thought that for the record I would add my two pence worth.... it might even be of interest to someone ! ? Laughing Out Loud

The great helm of Edward ,' The Black Prince' ca 1370-1375, ( preserved in Canturbury Cathedral ), does still retain portions of its original oil dressed leather liner ( the leather is actually sheepskin, without the fleece, if memory serves correctly ). It is a segmented leather liner held and adjusted by a cord at the top and It is held in place by alternate rivets at the level of the occularia , where the top and bottom elements of the helmet are joined together.
What I find somewhat curious about these helmets is that there is no provision for any chin strap or any other method of succuring the helmet, apart from two holes at the bottom of the rear of the above mentioned helmet that did at one point hold some form of strap fastening at the rear. The helmet, no matter how snug fitting over the bascinet, must have been prone to some violent movement when struck from the front ? There are also still five links of the original charnel preserved with the helmet , but its method of fastening is uncertain.

Perhaps this of some interest to some one out there........ Happy

Regards as ever,

Russ

PS. Though I have seen the above mentioned helmet many times, I have never been fortunate enough ( yet !), to get my hands on the original ( though I have been allowed to examine various detached items of the Black Prince's achievements etc. kept in the Cathedral ), the above information was gleaned from Mr. Ted Smith and Mr. Arthur Davies formerly of the Royal Armouries staff, who were active in the construction of the replicas now hanging above the tomb, and who had of course handled the originals ! Lucky people......... Laughing Out Loud

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Thomas wrote:
My apologies for re hashing an old topic, I have been away from the forum for a while, but I just thought that for the record I would add my two pence worth.... it might even be of interest to someone ! ? Laughing Out Loud
Welcome back, Russ. Happy Thanks much for the information. Alas, my poor, neglected MRL Sugar Loaf is still sitting on top of my dresser unlined. Sad I've been toying with the idea of making a liner myself, and I even have the leather, leather punch, stitching awl, rivets, etc. laying around, I just haven't gotten up the courage to tackle it yet. Happy
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. ;

I had the same problem with 3 helms: No liners ! Allan Senefelder off Mercenary's Tailor can make you a liner based on the outside measurements of your Sugarloaf Helm and you can install it yourself if you don't want to ship it to him.

Being in Canada shipping my helms to and from Allan would have cost me more than the cost of the liners.

We figured out the formula to size the liners based on the outside measurements of the helm(s), trying to measure the inside is almost impossible as the tape measure is too difficult to keep in tight contact with the inside.

Self- installation is easy if you can handle a drill and peen the rivets yourself: Worked great on mine and the fit is perfect.

The liner is a bit flippy-floppy when trying to put in the first couple of rivets and you do feel like a couple of extra hands would be a great help.

I first decided where I wanted to put the rivets and I used the drilled hole to mark the places on the liners where to punch the holes. ( Good to be careful here. )

Oh, Allan gave me any advice I needed and sent me a supply of rivets to do the job with spares to practice peening.

I used a small cobblers hammer to peen and the head of a small sledge hammer as an improvised anvil.

Allen also reduced the price on the liners to reflect the fact that I was doing 1/3 of the job putting them in.

He was helpful above and beyond good customer service: Great experience doing business with him; AAA customer service.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Great Helm Question?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: