Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > new sword stuff from the IWA fair Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas Laible

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: new sword stuff from the IWA fair         Reply with quote

Hi.
I've posted some new stuff from Hanwei at
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...post548752

Thomas
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here're some links to CAS's new rapiers:

http://www.casiberia.com/cas/product_details.asp?id=SH2206N

http://www.casiberia.com/cas/product_details.asp?id=SH2205N

http://www.casiberia.com/cas/product_details.asp?id=SH2204N

The designs look really nice, but there's something odd about the finishes to me. I think the ones pictured are supposed to be antiqued, but the antiqueing looks too artificial. I'd love to check these out up close. Maybe I'll have to pick one up when they're available...
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like the look of their 'antiqued' Gustavus Adolphus rapier. That has always been one of my favorite historical swords. Hanwei has even made a inner guard for it. Cool

Gilded Iron Hilt

I've been waiting for their practical sabre line to come out. (Hutton-Radaelli-Pecoraro) Hopefully they will be out soon. I'm planning on getting a pair of Pecoraro sabres.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: new sword stuff from the IWA fair         Reply with quote

Thomas Laible wrote:
Hi.

Thomas

Posting links to other forums is cool, especially as responses within an existing topic. If you're going to start a brand new topic here, please make it have content in the actual post that will generate a discussion, as this is intended to be a discussion forum. Posting a new topic that only contains a link isn't very productive to discussion.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Thomas Laible

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: new sword stuff from the IWA fair         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Thomas Laible wrote:
Hi.

Thomas

Posting links to other forums is cool, especially as responses within an existing topic. If you're going to start a brand new topic here, please make it have content in the actual post that will generate a discussion, as this is intended to be a discussion forum. Posting a new topic that only contains a link isn't very productive to discussion.

Hi Nathan,
I did not want to offend anyone - I just wanted to present some sword news to swordforum and myArmoury and had no time to post alle the stuff and images twice. And regarding the replys it worked - although there are only a few answers so far Laughing Out Loud . But if there's a problem with this kind of topics, I'll try to avoid it - althoug I cannot recognize the problem ...

Thomas

PS: I did send you a PM some time ago. Are you still looking for german translators?
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've just checked again to find that they now have photos of the sabres. They look good, I'll have to check them out when they become available.

($120)
One of the rapidly growing arts within historical fencing societies is that of sabre fencing in the late 19th century Italian style, originating with fencing masters who were employed to train mounted troops in the effective use of military sabre. This particular sabre (SH2199) is based on an original used by Italian fencing master Salvatore Pecoraro. The hilt design developed by Pecoraro has been reproduced in our fencing sabre SH2199, with a stainless steel guard & a wire-wrapped imitation sharkskin grip. The high-carbon flex-tempered steel blade closely follows the proportions of the period and is button-tipped for safety. A replacement blade (OH2264) is available for the Pecoraro Sabre.
OVERALL LENGTH: 44
WEIGHT: 1lb 3oz

($105)
Guiseppe Radaelli, 19th century Milanese fencer of the northern Italian school, is noted for the development of modern sabre play with a light, narrow-bladed weapon. Radaelli was a teacher of mounted troops and was concerned exclusively with the military use of the sabre. The Radaelli Sabre (SH2200) is replicated from an original piece with remarkable balance, durability, and swiftness. . The hilt design developed by Radaelli has been reproduced in our fencing sabre SH220, with a stainless steel guard & a wire-wrapped imitation sharkskin grip. The high-carbon flex-tempered steel blade closely follows the proportions of the period and is button-tipped for safety. A replacement blade (OH2264) is available for the Radaelli Sabre.
OVERALL LENGTH: 44
WEIGHT: 1lb 3oz

($98.70)
A proponent of the French school of fencing, Alfred Hutton was a British fencing master that did much to modernize sabre technique as it was fenced at the time. Hutton is acknowledged for breathing new life into the sport of fencing after it had fallen into the category of anachronistic, esoteric activities. The Hutton Sabre (SH2201) is crafted after an original with a stainless steel guard & a wire-wrapped imitation sharkskin grip. The blade & hilt of the Hutton sabre are closer to the style of the true military sabre. The blade is somewhat shortened & lightened, with a rounded tip for effective training.
OVERALL LENGTH: 37
WEIGHT: 1lb 5oz
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This one is new as well...German side-sword. It would be nice to know it's blade width.

($210)
The Side Sword (SH2203) was a military sword of the 16th & 17th century Renaissance period that also achieved popularity among civilians, due to its relatively light weight & quickness. It also had an advantage over its contemporary, the rapier, in having the ability to cut efficiently as well as thrust. Side swords were often the weapon of choice for sword & buckler fighting. Our Side Sword (SH2203), based on a German original, is a beautifully proportioned piece that balances very well. The "swept-hilt" affords excellent hand protection and the blade geometry makes for an outstanding performance in both the cut and the thrust. The blade is constructed of high-carbon steel and the wire-wrapped handle is beautifully ornate.
OVERALL LENGTH: 37 3/4
WEIGHT: 2lbs 8oz
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen,
I got to handle one of the Hutton sabre's at Atlanta Blade Show last year and must say I found it quite interesting. May have to consider adding one to my wish list as well. Glad to see Hanwei coming out with more new stuff, now if they'd only make that elusive Schiavona I've been after them about......

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
Stephen,
I got to handle one of the Hutton sabre's at Atlanta Blade Show last year and must say I found it quite interesting. May have to consider adding one to my wish list as well. Glad to see Hanwei coming out with more new stuff, now if they'd only make that elusive Schiavona I've been after them about......

Bill

Hey Bill,

Cool. I've been looking forward to these for some time now. I'm so glad that maestro Paul Macdonald was able to push these models into production.

CAS/hanwei has really come a long way in these past few years in improving & coming out with new products.
William Goodwin

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Gustav looks tempting. But still my favorite of the new stuff just has to be......

I wonder why..... Big Grin

Bill

Attachment: 27.09 KB
SH2004N.jpg

Roanoke Sword Guilde

Last edited by William Goodwin on Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They call that a Scottish mortuary hilt. Why Scottish? Is it based on an original known to be Scottish?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If there is anybody out there reading this topic who either already owns some of these new items or is planning on buying one or more in the near future, I ask that you contact me with a private message or email.
William Goodwin

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
They call that a Scottish mortuary hilt. Why Scottish? Is it based on an original known to be Scottish?

That's not right. The Mortuary is strictly English! Don't know why they list it as "Scottish". The original that my #2004 is based on resides in the Royal Armouries and this is just an "antiqued version of the same. Think I need to send them a little note. Here's a pic of the original for reference.

Bill

edit note: I did send CASI a messege about this mis-labeling of the mortuary.

Attachment: 18.83 KB
scan0003.jpg

Roanoke Sword Guilde

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > new sword stuff from the IWA fair
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic