Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Most wicked and rutheless sword - The Viceroy? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Lance K.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Most wicked and rutheless sword - The Viceroy?         Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm going to be getting my first sword, and I'm going straight for the most powerful and bad ass sword available. So far the Albion Viceroy has my vote.

What do you guys think? What has your vote for most wicked and powerful, or just favorite sword in general?

If I'm dropping $1000 on a sword, it better be the most powerful sword out there! lol

Lancelot
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
I'm going straight for the most powerful and bad ass sword available.

Welcome to the forum Lance. Please watch that language though.

The Viceroy is definitely a sword with a powerful presence and a lot of visual appeal. I particularly like the fuller work on it's ricasso. I'm sure you'll like it.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Lance K.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oops, sorry. Blush Didn't know how strict you guys where around here.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
Oops, sorry. Blush Didn't know how strict you guys where around here.

No worries Lance. Welcome aboard!

Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

IMO, the bad--uhm...butt Wink factor goes in favour of the Baron. The most powerful cutter is probably the Duke, which is a guesstimate, of course, since I've never even held one. I have handled the Baron though, and its just got that presence of pure menace. Big Grin
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Most wicked and rutheless sword - The Viceroy?         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
Hi,

I'm going to be getting my first sword, and I'm going straight for the most powerful and bad ass sword available. So far the Albion Viceroy has my vote.

What do you guys think? What has your vote for most wicked and powerful, or just favorite sword in general?

If I'm dropping $1000 on a sword, it better be the most powerful sword out there! lol

Lancelot

You might also like to check out the German Bastard Sword at Arms & Armor. A whopping four and a half pounds, with a beautiful hilt.

Or, you could check out the Gothic Great Sword by Angus Trim. Similar, but with a different cross-section and less expensive.

Give them all a good thorough look. There's plenty of options out there now.

Edit: Oops, it appears as though the Gothic great sword (model AT-1435) is not on the ATrim/ASA website. Try Christian Fletcher, a cutler who customizes both ATrim and Albion swords. I believe said great sword is listed on his site.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Søren Niedziella

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi

I own a Viceroy and it sure is powerfull ... but for most wicked my personal favorite is still the Arms & Armor Katzbalger (http://www.arms-n-armor.com/2000/catalog/item149.html). Its small - but its just mean Cool ..and its the only sword i have cut myself while cleaning (twice actually) - it seems to like blood....

So don't judge them all by size.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Most wicked and rutheless sword - The Viceroy?         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
What do you guys think? What has your vote for most wicked and powerful... ?

Hi, Lance, and welcome to here from me, too.

What do I think? You asked, so here goes.

There was only one such in all of history. The first one ever made. After that, it was a much, much more complex equation.

There is a synergy between sword and swordsman that cannot be ignored in your quest(ion). I'll illustrate this from 4 real-life examples.

The first is my friend Roger. Pure Viking. 6'4", 280 lbs, built like a tank. Blonde, blue eyes, half Swede, half Dane. It's his heritage. I've spent countless hours in reenactments and free-sparring with him with Viking and Anglo-Saxon weapons. He's scary. Safe, but scary. Give him a well-made Viking blade and a punch shield and he's, well, lethal. He is agressive, and his style is unyielding and hacking and pounding. He works best with a broad, cutting weapon. For him, this is clearly the most wicked. I've stood against and beside him with medieval 1-handers (with and without shield) and also with longswords. He's a very talented swordsman, and effective with all of these, but he is best with something like the Albion Jarl.

The second example I have for you is Mike. He's tall, thin (lanky, actually), agile, and very fluid in his movement. He's more of a gymnastic type. I've stood with and against him with a variety of medieval and renaissance weapons. He doesn't hack and cut with as much effectiveness as Roger, but he can thrust with authority. The guy is spooky with a rapier. Give him the writhen rapier from Arms & Armor. In his hands, that's the most wicked.

Third would be me. I've used a Viking sword. I can hold my own. I'm better with a medieval knightly sword and shield, but still not my forte'. I love historical rapier fencing. Again, not my best, but I try. Give to me a longsword. Give to me the Albion Brescia Spadona, the Regent, or the Ringneck. Outfit me in a full Gothic German harness. For me, the German Longsword is most comfortable and effective. None of these techniques are too potent with other incarnations of the sword... Try half-swording a rapier. Try thrusting with a flexible, round-tipped sword to find small gaps in armour.

The fourth is a friend's son, and also a friend of mine. He's 4'4" and a couch potato. There isn't a sword that I'd put in his hands before I would a dagger - he's too short and too weak to be effective. He'd be mean with a Rondel Dagger from A&A.

The best advice I can offer is to find what feels right to you. THAT is the most wicked and effective sword.

Having said that, the Viceroy is pretty tough... and on MY list of wants. It is a few down the list, but definitely there.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let's see. Most 'wicked and ruthless.' Well, you certainly can't go wrong with Albion's Viceroy. Lance, have you held one? If not, you're in for a treat! Big Grin I got to play with one at Chad's house a few weeks ago.

I'll tell you what I thought was a "wicked" little sword (bear with me on this, guys): Albion's Squire. After seeing and holding one at the Round Table event --- Wow, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that blade! That's a sword that definitely says "I'm not here to look pretty or show off my owner's wealth. I'm here to cause some havoc!"

My favorite sword in general, I must say is Arms & Armor's sword of Edward III. I have a copy of Records and have looked at those pictures and read that section who-knows how many times.

In the end, though, I think Aaron makes the dominant point (pun intended Laughing Out Loud ): The sword that feels right to you just may end up being the most "wicked and ruthless." As the saying goes, Who can separate a man from his sword? One is nothing without the other. -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you're asking in the wrong place to ask such a non-specific question. We're the last people to be able to give you only one answer Happy I've never been able to pick just a single sword. There are far too many things that hit us strongly and for far too many reasons.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd have to go with the Sovereign (big surprise, huh?). I've cut with the Duke and Baron (which I own), and they're both great at what they do. They're both big and powerful. The Viceroy, which I've handled, is very nice, too. The Regent, which I have on order, should be an incredible sword, too. I'm looking forward to getting it.

The Sovereign gets my vote for "wicked and ruthless" because its short length makes you get up close and personal with your adversary. Its blade is stout and feels powerful in the hand. All this, and it's very elegant, too.

What does this mean? Nothing at all. Happy This is a highly subjective question, of course. I'd buy whatever you think is the most powerful sword out there.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Wed 30 Mar, 2005 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How come none have mentioned the Albion Tritonia? The AT1435 is four pounds of hard hitting gothic greatsword. Give it a look.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenneth Enroth wrote:
How come none have mentioned the Albion Tritonia?

Ah, the Tritonia. What an interesting sword. It's a bit of an odd duck visually, but a great example of Type XIIIb. A fascinating weapon. I got to handle it at my first party; it's underrated for sure.

I have a bunch of pictures in my album for folks interested in pics of the Tritonia, Duke, Baron, etc.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not to forget the A & A 15th century two hander: Big, sharp and fast for its size.

The Viceroy is not the biggest compared to a two hander but its still an imposing sword.

And I agree that there is no best sword except when applied to a specific context and a specific user: But some swords just look more imposing. Or Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wait a few months and get the Albion Knecht . The bare, unfinished blade alone is enough to give you nightmares. See this thread:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3674

Plus, you won't meet anyone else who has one.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Wait a few months and get the Albion Knecht . The bare, unfinished blade alone is enough to give you nightmares.

I'll have to admit, this one does carry with it a bit of a gruesome image backed with history. My first impression when I saw Peter's concept sketch for the first time was something like: "oh... oh &%*#! That's just so wrong." and that general feeling got a lot more intense when I saw the rough blade. I'll have to wait to see how the two of us (the Knecht and I) mesh...

Sean Flynt wrote:
Plus, you won't meet anyone else who has one.

Other than the other 99 lucky owners? Razz Just kidding, Sean. You do bring up a good point as well, here. With a limited edition of a mere 100 of these, it's definitely not something you'll run into every day.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My vote also goes for the AT-1435. A wicked monster of a sword! Eek! Laughing Out Loud Happy
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I guess if I had to pick just one.........................

Big Grin

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wicked and powerful, Viceroy all the way.

Not my favorite sword, I'm not that into "wicked and powerful", but it is the one.

My favorite?

Regent (maybe Earl).

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Most wicked and rutheless sword - The Viceroy?         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
You might also like to check out the German Bastard Sword at Arms & Armor. A whopping four and a half pounds, with a beautiful hilt....

I have not handled any of the other fine pieces mentioned, but I am very fond of my newly acquired A&A German Bastard. Four and a half pounds, yes, but it feels lighter in handling. And that beautiful hilt has purpose. Give an opponent a good wack with the pommel and it will cause some real damage.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Most wicked and rutheless sword - The Viceroy?
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: