Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hello and question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Hello and question         Reply with quote

HI everyone! I'm so glad I finally registered. Happy Thanks to the people who answered all my questions. I was wondering what everyone's opinion on type XVa is and if anyone owns one, how do they perform? Im becoming very interested in the upcoming Next Generation Agincourt, Talhoffer, and Ringeck.

Sincerely,
Michael F.

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

Welcome aboard.

There is a great spotlight article on the front page here that has a lot of good info the XV and XVa swords.

I've an A&A XVa that I'm quite fond of. It's their Black Prince but with bronze fittings. I'm not sure if there is a weight difference over their steel hilted sword but mine seems to balance a little further out on the blade at three+ inches. Others with steel fittings are reporting slightly less than three. I love it but it may be a better Ringneck or Fiore sword.

That's not to say it wouldn't fit for Talhoffer but the hilts sure look longer in the book and a longer hilt will give you better leverage for winding.

My shorter hilted XV (except overall length) specs very close to Albion's first generation Agincourt. I'm not familiar with their new specs.

These are not great cutting swords but I have cut mats with my XVa and the shorter sword is a favorite for finnese cuts. The swords are really one of the best compromises in design for pokage and some cutting (jmo). I really consider my lighter sword almost of a sidesword calibre but the A&A is a good stout example of the type.

That said, I'm quite fond of true cutters like XIIas, XIIIas and longer pointy XVIIIa types too.

If I were to pick only one sword to own, it might not be the most satisfying but I would make due with my XVa.

No…no wait, the XIIIa… err maybe an XVIIIa

Cheers

GC
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hello and question         Reply with quote

Michael F. wrote:
HI everyone! I'm so glad I finally registered. Happy Thanks to the people who answered all my questions. I was wondering what everyone's opinion on type XVa is and if anyone owns one, how do they perform? Im becoming very interested in the upcoming Next Generation Agincourt, Talhoffer, and Ringeck.

That's sort of a difficult question to answer because the only things any two swords in one of Oakeshott's typologies has in common is the profile of the blade and the RANGE of hilt and blade lengths.

Don't pick up Albion's Castellan and expect yourself to wield it as you would Arms-&-Armor's Black Prince. Despite the fact that they are both XVa's, they are swords with different purposes and different emphases.

Having said that, however, I think you can expect the swords to cut soft targets reasonably well, while possessing excellent point control-- a hallmark that the majority of XV's and XVa's seem to have in common.

If you would like to start practicing Western Martial Arts in the vein of high medieval German swordsmanship, I believe the swords you mentioned should each be an excellent choice.

I know this doesn't help you much, but I'm sure some of the other forumites could give some more useful information.

Best of luck!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Im also wondering what sword you would recommend for cutting. Cut and thursters are my favorite type. I hear Atrim's are really good cutters too. Im definatly debating over abion's Allectus and Agincourt...and the Viceroy (but it's a little out of my price range at the moment) . Which new Next Gen. are you looking forward to the most?

Much thanks!
Michael.

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael F. wrote:
Thanks guys! Im also wondering what sword you would recommend for cutting. Cut and thursters are my favorite type. I hear Atrim's are really good cutters too. Im definatly debating over abion's Allectus and Agincourt...and the Viceroy (but it's a little out of my price range at the moment) . Which new Next Gen. are you looking forward to the most?

Much thanks!
Michael.

I'd worry most about your form.

A&A/Albion/Atrim are all good enogh to do the job and each vendor offers models that vary in their unique strengths and weaknesses. In the end, your ability will make much more difference than the manufacturer of the tool you use. Although some typologies are more forgiving on the cut than others.

Bottom line don't get too hung up on which vendor people say cuts best. Most people have limited cross vendor experience, and most of us can gain far more by practicing than switching vendors.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hello and question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic