Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Glaive Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: MRL Glaive         Reply with quote

MRL has its old glaive head on clearance for $50 so I jumped in. I know...I'm so weak. 16th c. arms are hard to come by, though, and this one seems like a bargain. (I'll try to find a photo).

I know this weapon was issued to guards during the period of my greatest interest (1550-1560), and often was elaborately etched. Examples of those late, fancy glaives/couteaus de breche are fairly easy to find. My question is this: Were these still used in combat in the last half of the 16th century? If so, can you direct me to unadorned fighting examples? Any evidence that the fine, etched specimens were expected to actually serve as weapons? Finally, I'm interested in etching mine, and would appreciate any DIY advice you might offer.

Thanks!

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: MRL Glaive         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
MRL has its old glaive head on clearance for $50 so I jumped in. I know...I'm so weak. 16th c. arms are hard to come by, though, and this one seems like a bargain. (I'll try to find a photo).

I know this weapon was issued to guards during the period of my greatest interest (1550-1560), and often was elaborately etched. Examples of those late, fancy glaives/couteaus de breche are fairly easy to find. My question is this: Were these still used in combat in the last half of the 16th century? If so, can you direct me to unadorned fighting examples? Any evidence that the fine, etched specimens were expected to actually serve as weapons? Finally, I'm interested in etching mine, and would appreciate any DIY advice you might offer.

Thanks!

Is it this one ?

This particular one looks like many 15th c examples that I have seen

Link to where you bought it from, please? Eek!

Alexi
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No, that's a different piece that's also been on closeout recently. Definitely 15th c.--good Froissart stuff!

Their glaive is almost identical to the specimen shown below, but with a round socket. Both weapons have langets, but they're hard to see in this image. The MRL glaive's cutting edge is 18" and the piece is 38" OA, including the two langets.

I got this from MRL. It's in the plain-paper insert in catalog #83 (the cover with the MRL staff sitting around a table for a Christmas feast). Item #600068, if I'm remembering correctly.

Attachment: 19.62 KB
normal_Glefe_1550.jpg

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaaah, the paper catalogues!!!!

They have been very inconsistent with sending me those. You'd thing they will update their website with stuff like this.
I have been looking for the 15th c. one for a very long time but it seem discontinued.

Interestingly, I have seen references to 13th-14th century glaives (Osprey English medieval knight 1200-1300) which reportedly looked similar to the 16th c. one you posted above. However I have never seen direct period depiction of these nor a surviving example from the 13-14th c.

Alexi
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe I shouldn't tell you this, but....The piece you're looking for was in an MRL closeout catalog awhile back and very inexpensive (head only). I'll see if I can find that for you.

As for the glaive, MRL dates theirs to 14th/15th c. I wouldn't be surprised if the basic form survived a few centuries. It lasted well into the 17th c. Dating probably depends on decoration of the blade (or not), socket shape, length and shape of the shaft and whether or not the langets are inset (late=yes, early=no). MRL mentions that they've left this piece undecorated in order to make it appropriate for a wider historical range. Seems reasonable.

-Sean

Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Maybe I shouldn't tell you this, but....The piece you're looking for was in an MRL closeout catalog awhile back and very inexpensive (head only). I'll see if I can find that for you.

No, you should not tell me stuff like this Happy I have taxes to pay man!

Quote:
As for the glaive, MRL dates theirs to 14th/15th c. I wouldn't be surprised if the basic form survived a few centuries. It lasted well into the 17th c. Dating probably depends on decoration of the blade (or not), socket shape, length and shape of the shaft and whether or not the langets are inset (late=yes, early=no). MRL mentions that they've left this piece undecorated in order to make it appropriate for a wider historical range. Seems reasonable.

I know of dozens of the glaives of this type from the 16-17th c (most of them highly decorated). There is bunch of these in the Higgins. I should have some pictures. But as you say the shape is simple enough to have been used in 13-14th c. It is just that I am not aware of actual early examples.

Alexi
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good news, Alexi! I couldn't find that old discount catalog. It seems to me that stuff tends to move from the discount catalog into the clearance section of the main catalog, though, so you may not be off the hook yet.

My glaive arrived last night.
First impressions:

It is not quite as pictured (see the insert in the latest MRL catalog). The catalog shows a more elaborately shaped socket, but mine is plain. The langets are simply welded to the outside of the socket, which is OK for an early-style mounting, but unworkable for a later mounting (with the langets inset into the haft). Easily remedied. I'll saw off the langets and inset them. That means I'll need to file smooth, drill and rivet the socket, too, which is easily done.

I love the blade! Great shape, well-finished, nice distal taper, good edge. Well-worth $50, especially if you want something closer to 15th c. or ca. 1500.

-Sean

Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
The langets are simply welded to the outside of the socket, which is OK for an early-style mounting, but unworkable for a later mounting (with the langets inset into the haft). Easily remedied. I'll saw off the langets and inset them. That means I'll need to file smooth, drill and rivet the socket, too, which is easily done.

Yeah, I said the same thing (or words to that effect), and "re-wrap five grips" turned into "re-wrap four sword grips, buy every other leather dying product I could find, make a completely new grip, and buy a dremel tool." But, aren't projects fun!? Big Grin Cool

I'd like to see some pictures once you get that thing mounted, so keep us informed.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Glaive
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic