Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Mercenary Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Albion Mercenary         Reply with quote

When I got home today there was a big white box waiting for me. I thought "can't be from Albion... it's barely been two weeks". But sure enough it contained the NG Mercenary that I ordered at Chad's Roundtable. Wow! Big Grin Talk about fast! I'll post some more in a day or two with my initial impressions but from just a quick handling this evening it is one wicked little bastard. Stay tuned. Pics to come.
Happy
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got mine last week. Big Grin
"Wicked" is the right word, though "evil" comes close as well. Handles better than any sword or blunt I've ever held. Moves extremely fast and precise. D e a d l y. Eek!

Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Gefeliciteerd!!         Reply with quote

Gefeliciteerd Anton!

(Oh sorry that's dutch) Laughing Out Loud

Eh...Congratulations Anton and Mark!
Looks pretty evil indeed! How thus it handel??
Your going to take it to Mishael swordfighting lessons Anton??
You guys ordered a sharp one??

Maybe whe can arrange a Dutch cutting party one day....

Folkert

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks just like a Mini-Brescia Spadona... damn, I miss my sword!

Anton de Vries wrote:
I got mine last week. Big Grin
"Wicked" is the right word, though "evil" comes close as well. Handles better than any sword or blunt I've ever held. Moves extremely fast and precise. D e a d l y. Eek!

Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Albion Mercenary         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:
When I got home today there was a big white box waiting for me. I thought "can't be from Albion... it's barely been two weeks". But sure enough it contained the NG Mercenary that I ordered at Chad's Roundtable. Wow! Big Grin

That was quick! Congrats on the new sword.

If you want to stop by sometime, I have some pool noodles that have been uppity..... Happy

Enjoy!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Albion Mercenary         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Mark Mattimore wrote:
When I got home today there was a big white box waiting for me. I thought "can't be from Albion... it's barely been two weeks". But sure enough it contained the NG Mercenary that I ordered at Chad's Roundtable. Wow! Big Grin

That was quick! Congrats on the new sword.

If you want to stop by sometime, I have some pool noodles that have been uppity..... Happy

Enjoy!

If you guys want to schedule it out ahead of time a ways, I could either stop by with the Jarl, or arrange to have it there at Chad's (since he is going to photograph it anyways)

N
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Gefeliciteerd!!         Reply with quote

Folkert van Wijk wrote:
Gefeliciteerd Anton!

(Oh sorry that's dutch) Laughing Out Loud

Eh...Congratulations Anton and Mark!
Looks pretty evil indeed! How does it handle??
You're going to take it to Mishael swordfighting lessons Anton??
You guys ordered a sharp one??

Maybe we can arrange a Dutch cutting party one day....

Folkert

Thank you Folkert.
Handling is scary. Lightning-fast but very easy to control, yet there's still enough blade presence to cut nicely.
Yes it is sharp and already tasted blood. Mine. Eek!
I also ordered the Squire Line version to use as a blunt, as sharps are too dangerous for the normal lessons.
Mishael called it a monster.

Cutting party sounds great to me. Let's do it.

Lancelot, it's actually not much smaller than the Brescia. Most of the difference is in the handle, as the blade is only an inch or so shorter. How come you miss the Brescia? What happened to it?
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Gefeliciteerd!!         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:

Lancelot, it's actually not much smaller than the Brescia. Most of the difference is in the handle, as the blade is only an inch or so shorter. How come you miss the Brescia? What happened to it?

Had an accident that the sword dropped to the ceramic floor, dented and deformed 2 corners of the pommel and the 2 ends of the guard. Sent it back to Albion for fixing. Sad

Albion was so kind that only charge me minimum in the repair!

Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

AAOOUUCCH MAN!

I´m realy sorry for you!

Hope it will be back soon.

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Iiieeuuwwww that must have hurt.
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks. They're done with the repair in 2 days and sending it back. Whadda customer service! Big Grin

When you buy an Albion sword, you know you're having full backup from the makers.

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lancelot Chan wrote:
Thanks. They're done with the repair in 2 days and sending it back. Whadda customer service! Big Grin

When you buy an Albion sword, you know you're having full backup from the makers.

Lance - I, too, was momentarily alarmed at your "I miss my sword" comment. Glad to hear of Albion's speedy assistance!
Mark Mattimore

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As promised, here are some quick pics of my new Mercenary. As I stated before it is a wicked bastard.

Quote:
Yes it is sharp and already tasted blood. Mine.

Anton I’m not surprised at all that you’ve cut yourself. This blade is extremely sharp and pointy. I’m actually nervous carrying it around the house. I just know I’m going to impale myself someday. The blade tapers drastically to create this wicked point and I’m sure it is devastating in the thrust.

As for its handling, I took it out back and torqued it around a bit. No cutting yet. This blade moves unbelievably fast. It is a breeze to move around and quick to recover. And it is so light that it feels like nothing when used with two hands. It is also quite easy to control with one hand. The grip is a bit small compared with other bastard swords I’ve handled but is in proper proportion to the sword’s overall size. And the grip tapers nicely into the pommel and it is very comfortable to wrap a finger or two around that beautiful faceted scent stopper.

Overall this is a wonderful piece and I am thrilled with it. I have never encountered this variety of short bastard sword before but I must say that it is now one of my favorite types.

Attachment: 112.16 KB
100_0450.JPG

Attachment: 91.4 KB
100_0460.JPG

Attachment: 82.29 KB
100_0453.JPG

Attachment: 32.84 KB
100_0445.JPG

Attachment: 106.69 KB
100_0440.JPG

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations to the new 'Mercenaries'. Just don't hurt yourselves!
Mark Mattimore wrote:
Anton de Vries wrote:
Yes it is sharp and already tasted blood. Mine.

Anton I’m not surprised at all that you’ve cut yourself. This blade is extremely sharp and pointy. I’m actually nervous carrying it around the house.

I had the same feeling with my Albion Mainz Gladius. I had visions that I would suddenly notice a finger missing from my hand without even feeling a cut. I plan to use this piece only for display and dry handling, never for cutting. So (and this will seem like a travesty to some of you), I actually took some steel wool to the edges to bring the sword down from "lightsaber sharp" to just "sharp".
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gefeliciteerd!!         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries.said
Yes it is sharp and already tasted blood. Mine. Eek!
I also ordered the Squire Line version to use as a blunt, as sharps are too dangerous for the normal lessons

I stabbed myself in the foot with my Castellan -- same blade as the Mercenary? -- the blade point is very unforgiving of dumb moves. I bled merrily for awhile.

The Mercenary is a fine looking sword. Albion certainly has a lot of XVa's now. It seems like they want to make up for the lack of that type in the market for the last few years.
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Gefeliciteerd!!         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

I stabbed myself in the foot with my Castellan -- same blade as the Mercenary? -- the blade point is very unforgiving of dumb moves. I bled merrily for awhile.

Yes it's the same blade. Equally unforgiving too.
I only scratched my forearm with the point. Tiny cut in a big blue bruise, so I probably hit the bone.
Mercenary - 1
Anton - 0
Laughing Out Loud
I really like this sword and would gladly have paid MUCH more for it. (I hope Mike doesn't read this. Wink )
It suits me so perfectly that I'm postponing the purchase of other longswords, possibly indefinitely.

I was fooled by the numbers and expected a short sword, sort of a singlehander with a long grip. Well it isn't. This is a big sword and only slightly shorter than the average longsword. The quick handling more than compensates for the 1-2 inch shorter blade I believe.

It's a surprise to me really, as I'm quite big and strong, and always believed that bigger swords would suit me better.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Anton and Mark! That Mercenary is a beauty AND a beast.

Yeah, I too have been 'bitten' by a few of my swords. My Albion LaTene Celtic sword gave me quite a scratch when I took her out of the box on Christmas morning 2003, though not as bad as a few years before that when the tip of my A&A Schloss Erbach cut my chin. 15 stitches! Surprised (don't ask Confused ) -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Mark Mattimore

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
though not as bad as a few years before that when the tip of my A&A Schloss Erbach cut my chin. 15 stitches! (don't ask )

Ouch Ted! Surprised Eek! Exclamation I bet that left a nice scar.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

NOOooo! Stop! I thought that this was the one Albion Sword that would never seduce me. Now, you have to go and post provocative pictures. I'm trying to resusitate my bank account, not kill it off. Ah, but what a way to go. Big Grin Laughing Out Loud Cool

At least I'm not alone in the self-inflicted injury department. I joke that you can tell howmany swords I own by the scars on my hands. In fact, I had only owned my first sword for about 30 minutes before she sent me to the emergency room (but it gave me a cool story with which to illustrate that a fuller is NOT a "blood groove").

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well.....

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Mercenary
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: