Go to page 1, 2  Next

Albion Mercenary
When I got home today there was a big white box waiting for me. I thought "can't be from Albion... it's barely been two weeks". But sure enough it contained the NG Mercenary that I ordered at Chad's Roundtable. Wow! :D Talk about fast! I'll post some more in a day or two with my initial impressions but from just a quick handling this evening it is one wicked little bastard. Stay tuned. Pics to come.
:)
I got mine last week. :D
"Wicked" is the right word, though "evil" comes close as well. Handles better than any sword or blunt I've ever held. Moves extremely fast and precise. D e a d l y. :eek:

[ Linked Image ]
Gefeliciteerd!!
Gefeliciteerd Anton!

(Oh sorry that's dutch) :lol:

Eh...Congratulations Anton and Mark!
Looks pretty evil indeed! How thus it handel??
Your going to take it to Mishael swordfighting lessons Anton??
You guys ordered a sharp one??

Maybe whe can arrange a Dutch cutting party one day....

Folkert
Looks just like a Mini-Brescia Spadona... damn, I miss my sword!

Anton de Vries wrote:
I got mine last week. :D
"Wicked" is the right word, though "evil" comes close as well. Handles better than any sword or blunt I've ever held. Moves extremely fast and precise. D e a d l y. :eek:

[ Linked Image ]
Re: Albion Mercenary
Mark Mattimore wrote:
When I got home today there was a big white box waiting for me. I thought "can't be from Albion... it's barely been two weeks". But sure enough it contained the NG Mercenary that I ordered at Chad's Roundtable. Wow! :D

That was quick! Congrats on the new sword.

If you want to stop by sometime, I have some pool noodles that have been uppity..... :)

Enjoy!
Re: Albion Mercenary
Chad Arnow wrote:
Mark Mattimore wrote:
When I got home today there was a big white box waiting for me. I thought "can't be from Albion... it's barely been two weeks". But sure enough it contained the NG Mercenary that I ordered at Chad's Roundtable. Wow! :D

That was quick! Congrats on the new sword.

If you want to stop by sometime, I have some pool noodles that have been uppity..... :)

Enjoy!

If you guys want to schedule it out ahead of time a ways, I could either stop by with the Jarl, or arrange to have it there at Chad's (since he is going to photograph it anyways)

N
Re: Gefeliciteerd!!
Folkert van Wijk wrote:
Gefeliciteerd Anton!

(Oh sorry that's dutch) :lol:

Eh...Congratulations Anton and Mark!
Looks pretty evil indeed! How does it handle??
You're going to take it to Mishael swordfighting lessons Anton??
You guys ordered a sharp one??

Maybe we can arrange a Dutch cutting party one day....

Folkert

Thank you Folkert.
Handling is scary. Lightning-fast but very easy to control, yet there's still enough blade presence to cut nicely.
Yes it is sharp and already tasted blood. Mine. :eek:
I also ordered the Squire Line version to use as a blunt, as sharps are too dangerous for the normal lessons.
Mishael called it a monster.

Cutting party sounds great to me. Let's do it.

Lancelot, it's actually not much smaller than the Brescia. Most of the difference is in the handle, as the blade is only an inch or so shorter. How come you miss the Brescia? What happened to it?
Anton de Vries wrote:

Lancelot, it's actually not much smaller than the Brescia. Most of the difference is in the handle, as the blade is only an inch or so shorter. How come you miss the Brescia? What happened to it?

Had an accident that the sword dropped to the ceramic floor, dented and deformed 2 corners of the pommel and the 2 ends of the guard. Sent it back to Albion for fixing. :(

Albion was so kind that only charge me minimum in the repair!
AAOOUUCCH MAN!

I´m realy sorry for you!

Hope it will be back soon.
Iiieeuuwwww that must have hurt.
Thanks. They're done with the repair in 2 days and sending it back. Whadda customer service! :D

When you buy an Albion sword, you know you're having full backup from the makers.
Lancelot Chan wrote:
Thanks. They're done with the repair in 2 days and sending it back. Whadda customer service! :D

When you buy an Albion sword, you know you're having full backup from the makers.

Lance - I, too, was momentarily alarmed at your "I miss my sword" comment. Glad to hear of Albion's speedy assistance!
As promised, here are some quick pics of my new Mercenary. As I stated before it is a wicked bastard.

Quote:
Yes it is sharp and already tasted blood. Mine.

Anton I’m not surprised at all that you’ve cut yourself. This blade is extremely sharp and pointy. I’m actually nervous carrying it around the house. I just know I’m going to impale myself someday. The blade tapers drastically to create this wicked point and I’m sure it is devastating in the thrust.

As for its handling, I took it out back and torqued it around a bit. No cutting yet. This blade moves unbelievably fast. It is a breeze to move around and quick to recover. And it is so light that it feels like nothing when used with two hands. It is also quite easy to control with one hand. The grip is a bit small compared with other bastard swords I’ve handled but is in proper proportion to the sword’s overall size. And the grip tapers nicely into the pommel and it is very comfortable to wrap a finger or two around that beautiful faceted scent stopper.

Overall this is a wonderful piece and I am thrilled with it. I have never encountered this variety of short bastard sword before but I must say that it is now one of my favorite types.

Attachment: 112.16 KB
100_0450.JPG

Attachment: 91.4 KB
100_0460.JPG

Attachment: 82.29 KB
100_0453.JPG

Attachment: 32.84 KB
100_0445.JPG

Attachment: 106.69 KB
100_0440.JPG

Congratulations to the new 'Mercenaries'. Just don't hurt yourselves!
Mark Mattimore wrote:
Anton de Vries wrote:
Yes it is sharp and already tasted blood. Mine.

Anton I’m not surprised at all that you’ve cut yourself. This blade is extremely sharp and pointy. I’m actually nervous carrying it around the house.

I had the same feeling with my Albion Mainz Gladius. I had visions that I would suddenly notice a finger missing from my hand without even feeling a cut. I plan to use this piece only for display and dry handling, never for cutting. So (and this will seem like a travesty to some of you), I actually took some steel wool to the edges to bring the sword down from "lightsaber sharp" to just "sharp".
Anton de Vries.said
Yes it is sharp and already tasted blood. Mine. :eek:
I also ordered the Squire Line version to use as a blunt, as sharps are too dangerous for the normal lessons

I stabbed myself in the foot with my Castellan -- same blade as the Mercenary? -- the blade point is very unforgiving of dumb moves. I bled merrily for awhile.

The Mercenary is a fine looking sword. Albion certainly has a lot of XVa's now. It seems like they want to make up for the lack of that type in the market for the last few years.
Roger Hooper wrote:

I stabbed myself in the foot with my Castellan -- same blade as the Mercenary? -- the blade point is very unforgiving of dumb moves. I bled merrily for awhile.

Yes it's the same blade. Equally unforgiving too.
I only scratched my forearm with the point. Tiny cut in a big blue bruise, so I probably hit the bone.
Mercenary - 1
Anton - 0
:lol:
I really like this sword and would gladly have paid MUCH more for it. (I hope Mike doesn't read this. ;) )
It suits me so perfectly that I'm postponing the purchase of other longswords, possibly indefinitely.

I was fooled by the numbers and expected a short sword, sort of a singlehander with a long grip. Well it isn't. This is a big sword and only slightly shorter than the average longsword. The quick handling more than compensates for the 1-2 inch shorter blade I believe.

It's a surprise to me really, as I'm quite big and strong, and always believed that bigger swords would suit me better.
Congrats Anton and Mark! That Mercenary is a beauty AND a beast.

Yeah, I too have been 'bitten' by a few of my swords. My Albion LaTene Celtic sword gave me quite a scratch when I took her out of the box on Christmas morning 2003, though not as bad as a few years before that when the tip of my A&A Schloss Erbach cut my chin. 15 stitches! :surprised: (don't ask :confused: ) -Ted
Quote:
though not as bad as a few years before that when the tip of my A&A Schloss Erbach cut my chin. 15 stitches! (don't ask )

Ouch Ted! :surprised: :eek: :!: I bet that left a nice scar.
NOOooo! Stop! I thought that this was the one Albion Sword that would never seduce me. Now, you have to go and post provocative pictures. I'm trying to resusitate my bank account, not kill it off. Ah, but what a way to go. :D :lol: :cool:

At least I'm not alone in the self-inflicted injury department. I joke that you can tell howmany swords I own by the scars on my hands. In fact, I had only owned my first sword for about 30 minutes before she sent me to the emergency room (but it gave me a cool story with which to illustrate that a fuller is NOT a "blood groove").

-Grey
Well.....
[ Linked Image ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: