Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Okimono,never ignore the obvious. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Okimono,never ignore the obvious.         Reply with quote

Some years ago a chap called me to say he had an I vory mounted Dirk. I hate the idea of ivory and had never seen a good japanese blade in Horn,Bone or Ivory mounts , so I passed on it, in fact as a joke paseed on it to a fellow collector. He bought the 'Thing' for a song, had the blade polished and it made Chu Jo Saku!!!!.
Rule of thumb...never ignore anything.
I remember reading a comment by John Yumoto to the effect that no good Nihonto could be found in Shin Gunto {New army} mounts. This of course is total rubbish as pretty much all the good Katana I have seen have been in Gunto Kosherei.

Several years ago a chap called me to say that he had a paper knife in Bone mounts, it was rubbish but he needed a Kai Gunto rank tassel that I had and would trade it for the tassel. The mounts are splendid carving, the blade is Meiji and OK but tempered so a nice thing, not worth papering but certainly not worth ignoring.

30 year obsession
Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Okimono, the pictures.....         Reply with quote

For some reason these did not appear on the Okimono subject.

Attachment: 28.55 KB
Okimono(1).JPG

Attachment: 14.63 KB
Okimono(1a)BladeHamon.JPG

30 year obsession
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Roy,
Interesting pics chap,i've been looking into these type of bone hilted types but info seems few and far between except for the general comments of they are tourist items,
caught a couple of your other posts,also showing some good pics of interest,
welcome to the site,nice to see yet more varied info on other types of stuff,
pic from lyle arms and armour review,
inspiration for an ongoing project,

Attachment: 44.72 KB
dragon,ds..JPG

Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I take it these are from an old catalogues?, they seem to fetch quite big money now which is surprising when as you say everyone seems to dissmiss them.............or do they.
Regards

30 year obsession
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Roy,
the picture is from the lyle catalogue circa 1976,
so i'm guessing the price of these now is notably more,
i've only ever read of similer items made for the tourist's but if you have info contrary to that i;d be very interested to hear,
of late i've seen two or three tanto's in ivory fittings going through different auction sites,actually one on ebay now,better than average carving as well,
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is one I picked up in the states for $150+/-.

I tossed the blade in a drawr, added some buffalo horn fitting and put in a Hanwei Kamikaze dirk blade.

Now its perfect. Wink

http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/4251842azb8e67...CBuSVwaTsA

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
Hi Roy,
the picture is from the lyle catalogue circa 1976,
so i'm guessing the price of these now is notably more,
i've only ever read of similer items made for the tourist's but if you have info contrary to that i;d be very interested to hear,
of late i've seen two or three tanto's in ivory fittings going through different auction sites,actually one on ebay now,better than average carving as well,

A friend in Scotland had a fine Netsuke quality Ivory mounted Katana given to him a couple of years ago. Ray,good man on Shinsa, thought the sword within would be good and it was. A fine Koto blade that I sadly cannot recall the smith, nut the chap from the V&A fell off his stool when he saw it................

Seem s they came in a vast range of quality and catagory, as a generalisation this would be a sensible rule of thumb..........

If in sections and much like 'Scrimshaw' carving wise then the likly hood of Blade quality will be poor.

If carved well in bone {Mainly Tanto} take a good look, especially if there is a Mekugi{Peg retaining the nakago}

If a long sword, either in sections or totally carved in one piece,Tachi or Katana, again check to Nakago.

The quality of the Kosherei is all important but as with the very first post, the mounts were awfull and the blade turned out to be a second generation KaneSada!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eek!

30 year obsession

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Okimono,never ignore the obvious.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic