Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion's Knight. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Albion's Knight.         Reply with quote

I've had this sword for a few weeks now. Since we don't like to "scoop" ourselves I've kept pretty mum about it, and that's been difficult in this case. However, now that the review has been published I can say what an incredibly cool sword this one is!

Albion recently sent me a couple of unexpected review samples and the Knight was one of them. I can't say what the other one is because of the aforementioned "scoop" factor. Razz

The funny thing is that I really had no intention of buying this one. I already have a couple of extremely nice single-handed swords from the high medieval period, so I wasn't looking to buy any more any time soon. That changed as soon as I removed this one from it's box. I grabbed the Knight and immediately had a "Hey. Hey! HEY!!!!" reaction. Within ten minutes I knew I couldn't let this one go back. As soon as my wife got home from work I immediately prostrated myself before the the alter of the better half and begged for mercy.

For many of us Oakeshott's Type XII is the archetypal medieval sword. It's the one that we've seen illustrated the most in historical and fantasy artwork. Fair representations of it were carried by our favorite movie and literary heros when we were kids. Often, when we have our first custom sword commissioned it's a Type XII, mine was.

The Knight isn't a fancy sword, but it does have that classic line to it that we're all so familiar with. Very clean and classic lines on this one. As nice as the Knight looks it isn't all window dressing though. This sword has some of the sweetest handling characteristics that I've experienced in a medieval single-hander. As many of the old timers know, several years ago I had my right wrist smashed good and proper in a karate "incident". Consequently, I now have to avoid some of the activities that I used to enjoy, like shooting big booming handguns that classify as crew served weapons, etc. This has also made me pretty sensitive to the handling aspects of many single-handed swords. I've handled a lot of quality swords that just aren't comfortable for me because their mass distribution and/or blade presence is such that it puts excessive strain on my wrist.

Not so with the Knight. This one is an extremely agile sword that I can swing all afternoon without discomfort. At the same time it has the ability to cut as decisively as a heavier sword, not to mention great point control. It has a perfect blend of mass and balance that allows for both power and speed. Handling this one is a real pleasure. I've owned quite a few swords of this type over the years, both custom and production. Honestly, the Knight is the best one yet. It's obvious why the Type XII was such a popular design in it's day. The folks at Albion have scored a dead center bullseye with this one.

By reading the review it should be obvious that I'm extremely jazzed about this sword. There's a million things to love about it and not a single thing to dislike. I currently have two scabbards on order with Albion. After having this sword for a couple of days I called Mikey and changed the latest order to a scabbard for the Knight. This one has to be dressed up for the dance.

Howard Waddell has said that this is the sword he always dreamed of owning. I certainly won't disagree with that. The Knight is just flat out neat! This is a huge amount of sword for the money.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Mon 11 Apr, 2005 3:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really enjoyed your review Patrick and I have to admit that this sword has been growing on me for some time now. When I first saw it I thought it looked nice and fit the description of it perfectly but normally I'm drawn to different types like the XVa. I still am really, I can't wait to see the new Agincourt in steel, but the more I've frequented Albion's site the more intrigued I've become with the Knight as well, and its Squire line equivalent. In fact I think I may pick up a sharpened version of the Squire line as my entry level single hander being a po' art student and all. It really does sound like a fantastic sword though and I can't wait to see what your next review piece is.
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword ever was a type XII - the Albion first generation Acre. If your stats for the POB are right, then the knight's is 4 inches closer to the hilt than the Acre's. I really like this type of sword, and I really love the way handling characteristics are described. The only catch for me is that the hilt doesn't speak to me the way some might. Still, it is one of the contenders for my first Albion Next Gen.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
If your stats for the POB are right

Eek! Mad Big Grin Razz

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Albion's Knight.         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
...For many of us Oakeshott's Type XII is the archetypal medieval sword. It's the one that we've seen illustrated the most in historical and fantasy artwork...

... The Knight isn't a fancy sword, but it does have that classic line to it that we're all so familiar with. Very clean and classic lines on this one. As nice as the Knight looks it isn't all window dressing though. This sword has some of the sweetest handling characteristics that I've experienced in a medieval single-hander...

... This one is an extremely agile sword that I can swing all afternoon without discomfort. At the same time it has the ability to cut as decisively as a heavier sword, not to mention great point control. It has a perfect blend of mass and balance that allows for both power and speed. Handling this one is a real pleasure...

Howard Waddell has said that this is the sword he always dreamed of owning. I certainly won't disagree with that. The Knight is just flat out neat! This is a huge amount of sword for the money.

If I were to be in the unfortunate ( Razz ) situation to only be able to own a single sword, the Knight would be it. It embodies the essence of what, to me, a sword is, and all it has ever been. From my very childhood, this is it, and perfectly executed.

Here it is, dressed in red. Cool

Attached below is a snapshot demo... not quite full speed or full power, but clean through! I've had the pleasure of putting this sword through it's paces over the past week or so. I've nothing more to add than what Patrick has already said, but I can certainly tell you that in my opinion, he's dead on! This is one SWEET sword.

Attachment: 19.9 KB
knight_cut.JPG

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:
If your stats for the POB are right

Eek! Mad Big Grin Razz

Well you say 3.5 inches and Albion says on their site 4.5 inches. Unless CoG and PoB are different. I know they're hand made, but an inch is a big deal.
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At least they have the same sweet spot Big Grin
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
Well you say 3.5 inches and Albion says on their site 4.5 inches. Unless CoG and PoB are different. I know they're hand made, but an inch is a big deal.

I just checked the PoB/CoG on my Knight again: 3.5 inches.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Stevens wrote:
At least they have the same sweet spot Big Grin

The whole thing is sweet on this one. Big Grin

Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:

I just checked the PoB/CoG on my Knight again: 3.5 inches.

Amazing. Now I'm going to have to make the knight my first next gen purchase. Of course, I think I'll go with something a little more flamboyant than black even if it costs extra. Everyone always jokes about a hot pink grip... Razz
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,

I know its kind of comparing apples and oranges, but how does the Knight compare to the FG Crusader, as if memory serves, it was the better handling of the two FG type XII? I thought you good to ask as you own both.

I have to throw a pin in the direction of your balloon, though. I like the three-band grip on Howy's better. Razz
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
Patrick,

I know its kind of comparing apples and oranges, but how does the Knight compare to the FG Crusader, as if memory serves, it was the better handling of the two FG type XII? I thought you good to ask as you own both.

I have to throw a pin in the direction of your balloon, though. I like the three-band grip on Howy's better. Razz

Thus far every Next Gen that I've handled has been far superior to it's Albion Mark equivalent. The old AM's were good for the time, but the Next Gens are much more complex in the subtlties of their geometry and mass distribution. Comparing the two lines is a real apples to oranges type of thing. So I guess I can only say the the Crusader doesn't come close.

I like Howy's grip too. Big Grin

Darwin Todd

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Knight Laird Caithness         Reply with quote

Great review Patrick. I myself have been going back and forth between the Knight, Laird and Caithness as my next purchase ever since the Caithness came out. I would love to hear any comments from anyone who has handled more than one of the three to compare. At the end of the day though I think I may wait until the Bladeshow and see if I can handle all three before I decide. (Mike, Eric, thats a hint! One of each at the display table please!)
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I tell you I keep seeing these things and its getting so hard to turn all my money to tuition.

Only 15 or more months or so.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darwin Todd wrote:
I would love to hear any comments from anyone who has handled more than one of the three to compare.

As they say, good things come to those who wait. Wink

G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:

Amazing. Now I'm going to have to make the knight my first next gen purchase. Of course, I think I'll go with something a little more flamboyant than black even if it costs extra. Everyone always jokes about a hot pink grip... Razz
Well, Gus Trim already puts out the Lady Carmen and the Lady Restita, perphaps Albion would be willing to create a hot pink-gripped version of the Knight and call it the Lady Alina? Laughing Out Loud Hey, you never know.... Laughing Out Loud Happy
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:

Well, Gus Trim already puts out the Lady Carmen and the Lady Restita, perphaps Albion would be willing to create a hot pink-gripped version of the Knight and call it the Lady Alina? Laughing Out Loud Hey, you never know.... Laughing Out Loud Happy

Hmmm...

Maybe if I win the contest I'll make it my free sword!
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speaking of type XII's would anyone else love to see a reproduction of the King Sancho IV sword that is on type XII spotlight page? I also really like the sword of Santa Casilda. Interesting name, Santa Casilda, or Saint Casilda, is a female saint who died in the 11th century. She was a muslim princess living in Toledo who fell in love with Christianity. Her father hated the religion and grew angry at her for helping out Christian prisoners. She escaped and died after being baptized by Benedictine monks. I'd love to know a little bit more about why the Spanish attribute a sword to her. I know that she is often invoked during times of war but it's still strange. Also interesting is the short 30 inch blade and small proportions. I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
Speaking of type XII's would anyone else love to see a reproduction of the King Sancho IV sword that is on type XII spotlight page? I also really like the sword of Santa Casilda. Interesting name, Santa Casilda, or Saint Casilda, is a female saint who died in the 11th century. She was a muslim princess living in Toledo who fell in love with Christianity. Her father hated the religion and grew angry at her for helping out Christian prisoners. She escaped and died after being baptized by Benedictine monks. I'd love to know a little bit more about why the Spanish attribute a sword to her. I know that she is often invoked during times of war but it's still strange. Also interesting is the short 30 inch blade and small proportions. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Thank you, Alina.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:

Thank you, Alina.

For asking long, rambling, questions with no immediate answers?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion's Knight.
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: