Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A question on Albion's Squire Line 15th Cent. Bastard Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: A question on Albion's Squire Line 15th Cent. Bastard Sword         Reply with quote

I've got a question for those of you who own the Squire Line 15th Century Bastard Sword. For those of you who did not request for it to be sharped by Albion, how does it handle in terms of test cutting?
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An unsharpened Squire Line sword should not be concidered for test cutting.
It will not really tell anything of what a sharp sword would or can do. It will demolish cardboard boxes and punish carpet tubes, but not in any way like a properly sharpened sword would.

It is an unhappy compromise to use an unsharpened Squire Line sword for test cutting. It will not behave as a sharp sword will and that will make you overcompensate in a way thats detrimental for technique. You will not get a good idea of what a real sharp is all about.
As it is a fairly thin peice of long steel it will still shear, but not like a sword. It s asking the sword to do the wrong thing.
Do not follow that route.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you plan on doing any cutting with the sword, spend the extra $25 and have Albion sharpen it for you. Fortunately, these swords are affordable enough that you could also buy two: one for sparring or reenactments and a sharpened one for cutting. Even if you're fairly low-down on the income totem pole like me, you could buy one now and save for a few months for the other. In any event, if you want to cut, do so with a sharpened blade. I tried cutting some cardboard mailing tubes with my Windlass Medieval Short Sword before it was sharpened, and it was a pain in the arse. All it did was tear or bend the tubes. Now that it's been sharpened, I can slice through targets all day; much more fun. Happy
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
If you plan on doing any cutting with the sword, spend the extra $25 and have Albion sharpen it for you. Fortunately, these swords are affordable enough that you could also buy two: one for sparring or reenactments and a sharpened one for cutting. Even if you're fairly low-down on the income totem pole like me, you could buy one now and save for a few months for the other. In any event, if you want to cut, do so with a sharpened blade. I tried cutting some cardboard mailing tubes with my Windlass Medieval Short Sword before it was sharpened, and it was a pain in the arse. All it did was tear or bend the tubes. Now that it's been sharpened, I can slice through targets all day; much more fun. Happy

My problem is that I am a young student going to university and I have quite a hefty set of student loans. So unfortunately, buying two swords in the immediate future is out of the question. But, like you, I want one sharp for test cutting, and a good blunt sword for sparring. I was considering ordering a Squire bastard sword sharpened to use for test cutting, and then using it for sparring when it grew dull, but I realized this probably was not the safest plan, and it does not allow me to test cut and spar with the sword at the same time. Hence my question.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
My problem is that I am a young student going to university and I have quite a hefty set of student loans. So unfortunately, buying two swords in the immediate future is out of the question. But, like you, I want one sharp for test cutting, and a good blunt sword for sparring. I was considering ordering a Squire bastard sword sharpened to use for test cutting, and then using it for sparring when it grew dull, but I realized this probably was not the safest plan, and it does not allow me to test cut and spar with the sword at the same time. Hence my question.

Craig-

I understand your dilemma. Funds during school can be quite tight.

You are correct in being concerned about using a sword for both. For the sake of validation, IF you were to dull the sword by cutting appropriate targets, the edge would still be way too acute to safely spar with. My opinion of a single sword is that yes, you can either have one to cut with and can safely do forms with but not spar, or you can spar and do forms, but not cut.

I have a few thoughts for you, though.

If you want to cut, you could order the sword sharpened. For about $75, you could order a waster (wooden sword) which a lot of people use. Of course, your partner would need one as well. Note, however, that this sword sharpened will run $375. The Mercenary will be a far superior cutter, and is $550.

If you want to spar, this should prove a good sword. Others on the site have been pleased. I, myself, have one on order. Albion is also working towards a dedicated sparring line at this link: Maestro Line. Production is still a few months off, but they may serve the purpose even better. There are some longswords there, but are more similar to the Next Gen type XVa's.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Craig-

I understand your dilemma. Funds during school can be quite tight.

You are correct in being concerned about using a sword for both. For the sake of validation, IF you were to dull the sword by cutting appropriate targets, the edge would still be way too acute to safely spar with. My opinion of a single sword is that yes, you can either have one to cut with and can safely do forms with but not spar, or you can spar and do forms, but not cut.

I have a few thoughts for you, though.

If you want to cut, you could order the sword sharpened. For about $75, you could order a waster (wooden sword) which a lot of people use. Of course, your partner would need one as well. Note, however, that this sword sharpened will run $375. The Mercenary will be a far superior cutter, and is $550.

If you want to spar, this should prove a good sword. Others on the site have been pleased. I, myself, have one on order. Albion is also working towards a dedicated sparring line at this link: Maestro Line. Production is still a few months off, but they may serve the purpose even better. There are some longswords there, but are more similar to the Next Gen type XVa's.

Actually, I already have three wasters. However, in my brief experience using a steel blade, I found that I liked the way it handled much more than my wasters, so I'd like to purchase a good blunt for sparring. That, and my wasters are not balanced too well, and they respond much more slowly than a steel sword would.

I am really quite found of the Type XVa blade like the Mercenary. It's got a wicked point for thrusting, but it also looks like it can cut with authority, which I like. However, I also really like the Sempach, and it's really a classic long sword. If I was to purchase a sharp and a blunt, I'd probably purchase the Sempach as my sharp, and the XVa squire sword would be my blunt.

I've seen the Meastro line, but even the difference of a $30 makes me hesitate, particularly because I don't really like the Liechtenauer (it looks as though it's more specialized for thrusting than even the Sempach), the Mair just isn't my style of sword, and the Epee de Guerre isn't a good enough thrusting weapon for my liking.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Actually, I already have three wasters. However, in my brief experience using a steel blade, I found that I liked the way it handled much more than my wasters, so I'd like to purchase a good blunt for sparring. That, and my wasters are not balanced too well, and they respond much more slowly than a steel sword would.

You'll get no argument from me there. Big Grin

Craig Peters wrote:
I am really quite found of the Type XVa blade like the Mercenary. It's got a wicked point for thrusting, but it also looks like it can cut with authority, which I like. However, I also really like the Sempach, and it's really a classic long sword. If I was to purchase a sharp and a blunt, I'd probably purchase the Sempach as my sharp, and the XVa squire sword would be my blunt.

I have the Landgraf - same blade, different hilt, slightly different handling than the Sempach. I love it. Very responsive, nasty in the cut and thrust both. As I said earlier, others have shared a pretty high opinion of the SL Bastard. Again, I realize funds aren't as loose as you'd like for now. I do think, however, that this is an outstanding combination for your intended uses. They're both nice pieces that you would be proud to own.

Craig Peters wrote:
I've seen the Meastro line, but even the difference of a $30 makes me hesitate, particularly because I don't really like the Liechtenauer (it looks as though it's more specialized for thrusting than even the Sempach), the Mair just isn't my style of sword, and the Epee de Guerre isn't a good enough thrusting weapon for my liking.

I had ordered one of the SL Bastards before the Maestro line was introduced, with the intent to spar with it. I've hedged between leaving the order as is, and changing it to the Mercenary. One of the reasons I left it stand is that this particular piece ISN'T in the Maestro line. Eventually, I'll get the Merc too...but for now, I'll have a great piece to work with, without the threat of serious injury to a sparring partner or even a pell.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A question on Albion's Squire Line 15th Cent. Bastard Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic