Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 15th c. Hammerheaded daggers? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Petri Peltola

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: 15th c. Hammerheaded daggers?         Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone would have more info on the hammerheaded daggers of mid-late 15th century? I think this type is the one Oakeshott writes about in 'Archaology of weapons':

"A type of which more examples have been found than any other is a short single-edged knife with a cross of Style 5 curved horizontally into an S and a rectangular pommel, usually with a sort of lug projecting from one side. A few examples are quite nicely made, but most are coarse and common and look just what they are - ordinary mediaeval sheath-knives"

The only example of this type I've seen is a picture in 'daggers and bayonets' by Logan Thompson. It fits Oakeshotts description except that it's 16 inches long and probably is one of the "quite nicely made". If they are as common as Oakeshott tells us, I wonder where are the rest of these. Anyone seen them lying around? Happy
I kind of like the look of these things and to me it doesn't seem to be very "coarse and common". The hand fits nicely against "the projecting lug". I'll attach a picture of my interpretation of the knife so you know what I'm talking about.

Attachment: 116.2 KB
Here's a dagger I made two years ago based on the picture and measurements in 'Daggers and bayonets'. It turned out nice, but it's not as accurate a reproduction I would have liked. The original has a typical 15th c. cusped quillonblock and probably a thi [ Download ]
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Spiffy!

Do you have a shop, or make blades just for yourself?
Petri Peltola

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Johnson wrote:
Spiffy!

Do you have a shop, or make blades just for yourself?

Thanks Jeff. This is just a hobby for me. I've done axes, knives and all sorts of historical leather- and metalwork. (It's the cheapest way to get all the neat stuff I want Big Grin ) I studied crafts for three years and realized I will never do this stuff for a living. I'd end up poor and hating what I do Cry (It's too much fun! I don't want to ruin it.) So now I'm back in school studying archaeology and hoping I can combine the two in the future. (...or just have a forge in the backyard.)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 15th c. Hammerheaded daggers?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic