Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Islamic Mail armor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alina Boyden

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Islamic Mail armor         Reply with quote

Some really interesting stuff here. Again, this is either from Treasures of the Islamic World or The Arts of War.

Firstly is an Iranian talismanic mail shirt, one of only a handful that are known in the world. Talismanic shirts in Islam are shirts with different phrases or names on them for luck. This mail shirt has the names Allah, Muhammad, Ali, Fatima, Hasan, Husayn, pressed into each individual ring.

This second picture is a detail of the rings from the above shirt.

The third picture is a 15th century iranian mail shirt

Here is a different 15th century mail shirt from Iran

Finally, a 15th century Ottoman mail shirt.

Last edited by Alina Boyden on Fri 06 May, 2005 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Theres a shirt in Higgins very similar to the first one though if I remember right its Egyptian. I like maille and plates a great deal . Used to own quite alot of it. Theres something of an organic quality to it that i've always been fascinated with. It seems less contrived, more "slinky" than plate armour in appearence. Again nice pics!
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
Theres a shirt in Higgins very similar to the first one though if I remember right its Egyptian. I like maille and plates a great deal . Used to own quite alot of it. Theres something of an organic quality to it that i've always been fascinated with. It seems less contrived, more "slinky" than plate armour in appearence. Again nice pics!

Slinky? Now I will forever associate 16th century Ottoman armor with women's underwear. Blush
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Islamic Mail armor         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
.... Talismanic shirts in Islam are shirts with different phrases or names on them for luck. This mail shirt has the names Allah, Muhammad, Ali, Fatima, Hasan, Husayn, pressed into each individual ring....

Oh, wow. Eek!

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Islamic Mail armor         Reply with quote

Nate C. wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:
.... Talismanic shirts in Islam are shirts with different phrases or names on them for luck. This mail shirt has the names Allah, Muhammad, Ali, Fatima, Hasan, Husayn, pressed into each individual ring....

Oh, wow. Eek!

Sorry that it's so hard to see even on the ring detail pic.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Islamic Mail armor         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:

I tried to make it out, but can't very well. I'm guessing that the method was akin to striking a coin - would accomplish flattening of the ring (if it wasn't already), overlap the ends, flatten the rivet point, and stamp the text all at once. Still an insane amount of work. I'd heard of these talismanic shirts before, but had not seen a picture of one. This, I could recreate, but nobody could afford both it and the therapy I'd need afterwards. Razz

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Islamic Mail armor         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:

This, I could recreate, but nobody could afford both it and the therapy I'd need afterwards. Razz

Well for a talismanic mail shirt I'd be tempted to try...
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Met in NYC has got a few Islamic armor pieces, including one 19th c. butted shirt that has brass links woven into that spell out the Prayer to Ali, according to the plaque.

Many of my pics from the Met are in the photo albums here.

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/3439.html

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/3437.html

Attachment: 45.29 KB
persianmaille.jpg

Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice Bill! Thanks for those pics.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Islamic Mail armor
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic