PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Douglas G. wrote:
I'm with Alina on the cross guard blobs

That must be very uncomfortable.

Eek!
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay, okay, had I written "I am in agreement with Alina regarding the blob-like bulges
on each end of the cross guard" it would have been better grammatically. But Nathan,
Dude, we gotta work on that potty twist the sentence took for you. At a hunch, do you
have Grade Schoolers at home? It rubs off.

Best,
Doug

"Red wine with fish, I might have known"
"Well I'm the one holding gun and the Lekter, Old Boy" From Russia with Love
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Padgett wrote:
If I had the money I would buy one each of every Albion Nextgen, but among the XVa's the Agincourt is my favorite. I love the lines of its hilt.

I calculated that awhile back (I guess I was bored). One of each would run you $43,720. But hey, that won't even get you a new Lexus -- which makes buying the Albion swords the more practical choice. Cool

By the way, I voted for the Fiore in this poll. I love how the cross complements the wheel pommel. That Agincourt is cool, but is a bit too Lord of the Rings-ish for me. Talhoffar and Ringeck a close 2nd and 3rd. Hey, how about that Constable! Eek! Wow! -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
To state the obvious, Albion is offering two different XVa blade types with some limited mix and match hilt furniture

Right now I'm really into the longswords since we are forming a Schola Saint George (Fiore) study group here locally.

I definately prefer the Mercenary of the three short/wide blades.

I'm having trouble deciding between the four long blades with it pretty much being a toss-up between the Agincourt and the Ringeck.

Assuming the Ringeck, Agincourt, Fiore, and Talhoffer share the same blade do the different hilt components (i.e., both German named swords having scent-stoppers and the Italian named sword having a round pommel) reflect functional differences between styles rather than aeshetics?
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Lampe wrote:

...Assuming the Ringeck, Agincourt, Fiore, and Talhoffer share the same blade do the different hilt components (i.e., both German named swords having scent-stoppers and the Italian named sword having a round pommel) reflect functional differences between styles rather than aeshetics?

The names chosen for the XVa swords should not be taken too literally. Either of them could be used in any of the styles.
In all those three masterīs works the type of sword referred to is either a XVa type of sword or maby a narrow XVIIIb or a XVII. (= a narrow stiff sword with a storng narrow point, with a blade width allowing half swording techniques). IN both Fiore and Talhoffer, the sword mostly depicted seems to be a narrow XVa.
I suggested the names to underline the fact that these are the type of sword you would typically use in those techniques.
A wheelpommel might invite different use than a scent stopper pommel, but this is more to allow for customer preference rather than denoting any national style or preference by any of the masters.

The one sword of these that has most *reason* for its name is the Talhoffer, since I picked elements seen in Talhoffers drawings and cross referenced them with swords Iīve seen or documented. In his drawings he seems to exaggerate slightly those details that are charactersitic. What does occur very frequently is a cross with clubbed ends and pointed estucheon (I nterpret that as that typical guard that is so common in the Castillion group of swords), a pommel that is faceted and fig or pear shaped, and a grip that is rounder in the middle. To me it seems he exaggerated the shape of all these elements, but he depicted the character quite spot on. There are pommels very similar to the ones he depicted, but not quite as elongated, the cross type his drawings made me think of is less pointy in the middle and the clubbed ends less pronounced and finally grips are usually not swelling like that, but can well be markedly rounder in the middle with slimmer dimensions towards the guard and pommel.

Having chosen Talhoffer as a name for one of the hilt versions for this blade, it was natural to pick the other great masters for the remaining versions.
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

Thanks for the informative response. You've created some beautiful swords there.

Now to decide which one I want.
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 03 May, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I opt for the Fiore. For function, I like the "hock-bottle" waisted grips. Among the shorter blades, I would choose the Mercenary.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Albion XVa
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: