Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on Albion Squire Line Knightly Sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Opinions on Albion Squire Line Knightly Sword?         Reply with quote

I have seen Patrick's review of Abion's Next Generation Knights Sword. The Squire Line Knightly Sword appears to be of similar shape, but about 1" shorter and a couple inches lighter with less detail in the pommel and cross guard.

I desire a sword that I can spar with, and it seems that abusing the Squire Line Knightly Sword makes more sense for $300 than buying the more finely detailed Next Generation Sword and having it blunted. Can any owners comment on the handling characteristics of the Squire Line Sword...... Patrick's description of the Next Generation Knightly Sword makes it hard to pass up on the higher price model even if the price is almost double. My priority is one handed handling characteristics, not actually intending to really cut.

Jared Smith
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From emails I've had with Mike Sigman, the squire line piece sounds like more of what you are looking for if you are looking for a well-handling sword to do drills and light sparring with. I think, based on recent conversation here on the forums, that you might look closer at the Maestro line if you are looking for a dedicated piece of training equipment.

Do a search on the forums here; if I remember right a couple of folks have played with the SL sword you're wondering about.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 03 May, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jared,
If you are looking for a sword specifically for sparring, you should go for the coming I:33 of the Maestro line.
The Squire Line Knightly sword *can* be used for sparring but the intention for the Squire Line is to be beginner level swords for those on a tight budget that do not primarily need a sharp weapon.

The Maestro line will be vastly more functional in sparring than the Squire Line swords. Safer, more durable and balanced for maximum control in a sparring situation.

The Next eneration line are excellent for training, but then only for sharp cutting practise. They are really not intended to be used blunted. Even if the cutting edge is taken away they are still thin enough in the croiss section to be seriously dangerous.

If you cannot wait untill the I:33 is on the market, then go for the SQ Knightly sword and may be step up to the I:33 later. You could have the SQ Knightly sword sharpened for cutting practise when you´ve got the Maestro I:33. It will work decently for that purpose even if it cannot compare to the NG Knight in that deparment. As budget swords go the SQ Knighly sword fulfills its purpose with a good margin. It is sturdy and rugged and allows the possibility of being "upgraded" to rough and ready cutting practise sword later on.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on Albion Squire Line Knightly Sword?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic