Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
Graham Shearlaw wrote:

More power does mean more range up to a point, a powerfull bow needs a larger stronger and heavier arrow.

Not necessarily. 13th-15th Century archers from the Golden Horde used quite powerful bows, but typically shot arrows weighing about 40 grams, with flight arrows as light as 20 grams. Ottoman arrows could be even lighter at around 35 grams / 17 grams.

We know that the Mongols and Ottomans used some quite powerful bows. But of course, so did the Huns 600 years earlier.

Every one had some level of powerfull bow use but the 100lb+ line is an arbitrary point where we find bow built an focused for warfare, thr returns have started to diminish in anything other then the quest for more energy.
All but the biggest of game can comfortably be taken with a lighter bow, flight arrows are a far better way to get more range.

I don't think any one with hands on experience will say that 90lb draw is light, and the returns for more power are starting to rapidly diminish.

A 120lb bow does not point shoot a third further, or have 1/3 more energy then a 90lb one, and the pool of archer's narrows and the demands placed on there body's rises.
Well look, I know a lot of people have very strong feelings about bows, draw weights, ranges and so on. I personally don't have strong feelings on these matters. I started this thread to see if anyone here knew anything about the use of poison, so far two people did provide some useful data.

This debate about the power of bows is something which I guess will go on forever. I am limiting my involvement in it to pointing out the obvious fallacies to claims posted into this thread. Namely:

*That bows in Antiquity didn't need to be that strong because soldiers didn't have armor then. False. First because piercing armor isn't the only reason for a powerful bow, second, because they certainly did have armor. Roman Legions had particularly good and ubiquitous armor, and yet were done-in by archers more than once.

*That bows in Antiquity weren't that powerful. I say, I've read enough Roman history to gather that this is almost the opposite of the truth when it came to the Huns and the Parthians among others. So again, I say that is a false claim.

I never said anything about 100 lbs this or 120 lbs that. I have seen draw-weights quoted for Mongol and Ottoman and Mughal bows, and for English and Burgundian, but I know these are all estimates. Estimates change as new data becomes available and better analysis are done. I'm not very concerned with the precise numbers. I have also read many accounts of battles on sea and land and have gleaned a sense of the effective range and potency of these weapons in warfare, enough to gather that they were indeed fairly formidable during the periods we are discussing.

What all this has to do with poison, I fear I'm losing track of, so maybe if you are very interested in debating the power of bows in different eras you could start another thread on that.
What all this has to do with poison, I fear I'm losing track of, so maybe if you are very interested in debating the power of bows in different eras you could start another thread on that.

Jean, you seem to want to extrapolate the evidence that ancient people in the Black Sea steppes and maybe India poisoned arrows to the idea that this was widespread in other places and period. So its relevant that many of the arrows which contemporaries say were poisoned were narrow and light (such as blowgun darts or Western Scythian arrows) or shot from weak bows (such as the Chinese Chu-ko-nu or the bows of the San / Bushmen).

This thread has given you some good leads, like the Chinese writer on poisoned crossbow bolts and Adrienne Mayor on poisoned Scythian arrows.

I would be interested in good sources for Filippino swords or daggers being poisoned, and especially that the poison was effective (many historical recipes for poisons are useless or would require very large doses). I would want to see the sources about the siege of Harmatelia for myself, but remember that India is a big place and one town using poisoned weapons does not mean that everyone did! I think that focusing on the sources would be better than speculating why some peoples did or did not poison their weapons.

Edit: also, the trouble with texts like Diodorus' history is that because they were not written by practicioners, or people who had watched practicioners, they usually left out or misunderstood details which you need to actually make the things they described. You can rarely just follow the instructions in a book like that and get a working product (this can even be an issue with how-to books today, often they repeat what earlier books say not what knowledgeable workers actually do)
I should say that my starting point is that there seems to be no evidence of medieval use of poison in battle. So either poison wasn't used, or it was rarely used. If it wasn't used, then I assume that the costs (not only material cost, but also the effort etc.) outweighed the benefits. I don’t think of effectiveness, as a binary absolute, effective/ineffective, but rather a spectrum. I don't find the idea of a ban on poison very convincing. If one existed, it would probably be cited in the history of chemical weapon bans.

Yes, but what percentage of soldiers, militia, or warriors on a medieval battlefield do you figure were knights in full cap-a-pied harness?

I don't know, but my hypothesis is that a light armoured soldier would probably be significantly injured by an arrow without poison. An enemy doesn't need to be killed, and I am not sure what sort of arrow injuries were typical. I think in many situations, people shot with an arrow enough to bleed would stop fighting. That is just speculation. If the typical arrow wound was a scratch, or pierced the armour just enough to draw blood, then a poison would offer an improvement.

Quote:
You couldn't find out anything about Landfrieden? The English language Wiki is of marginal value but covers the basics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landfrieden

There were also Czech and Polish versions of the landfrieden. The Czech word is Landfrýdy.

I cited the Landfrieden as a very common and widespread example of imposing general rules of war, among and between people who routinely clashed militarily, due to some kind of perceived general public benefit or harm reduction. They did not limit themselves to rules related specifically to scorched earth tactics. I made no other claim beyond that.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant that I couldn't find anything about poisoned weapons in Landfrieden. Landfriedens seemed to mostly have to do with feuds, because in the Middle Ages there wasn't the state monopoly on legitimate violence. Feuds often seemed to involve innocent third parties, such as merchants trading with one of the people involved in the feud. The bans mostly had to do with destroying bridges and churches etc. Even if they did ban poison weapons, that wouldn't apply to war between states.

Quote:
Well, they also had minerals like arsenic widely available, they had venomous snakes and scorpions, and other poisonous plants (castor beans for example, and various mushrooms) in Europe, and nobody had to take anything 'as is' in it's raw form - they knew various very well established methods for concentrating substances, or to produce compounds which greatly enhanced potency for many drugs, acids, and other chemicals. They were doing this on an industrial scale since the 12th Century.

We also know that poison was by no means rare in medieval Europe. They were using rat poison, poisoning various other animals for different reasons, and using poison to commit murders routinely, though this was ingested, typically,

I am not a toxicologist, so I don't know if arsenic would work on an arrow. The dose size is important, because of the additional weight on the arrow.

Quote:
I think you are grossly underestimating the quantity and scale of imports from outside of Europe, for all purposes but in particular for anything to do with warfare. They imported sulfur from Iceland to make gunpowder. They imported crucible steel from Sri Lanka. Just to make food taste better they imported pepper and a thousand other spices all the way from China, as well as enough silk to make hundreds of thousands of garments every year, and medicines and drugs of all kinds. I'm sure poison too.

They imported frankincense and storax from Yemen and if they wanted cobra venom I'm sure they imported that as well. Or got it from somewhere a lot closer. Easily.

I think by the 17th Century the interest in something like poison frogs etc. for blowgun darts was diminished because as effective as it was, it's still not as potent as a firearm.

Yes, they imported a lot of things, and we have records of that, but did they import poison? And if so, then they are the right kind of poison. It isn't like a European King could just say, "I want Chinese poison!" and then order some. Rather, a Chinese merchant has to say, "I will export poison," and then sell it to an Indian merchant, who sells it to an Arab merchant etc.

Also, spices and incense and silk are rather simple things to work with. No one needs to send an instruction manual. Sure, the Europeans were smart enough to figure out how to extract poison from seeds, but it is a lot easier to run experiments on something that isn’t rare and imported. Poison is also hard to transport and regulated (the Romans eventually banned Wolfsbane in gardens).

Obviously, they could have used poison arrows, but did they? It seems like you are asking, why didn't Medieval Europeans use poison weapons, and when presented with plausible arguments, you argue that it was possible.

Also, I have not said that bows in the classical period (a long time anyway) were weak, rather that they were weaker. It makes sense that over time they were improved, as well as armour. The idea that stringing a bow or pulling one was a feat of strength occurs most famously in the Odyssey. So at least some bows were heavy. Of course, pull strength is not equal to power.
Sean Manning wrote:

Jean, you seem to want to extrapolate the evidence that ancient people in the Black Sea steppes and maybe India poisoned arrows to the idea that this was widespread in other places and period. So its relevant that many of the arrows which contemporaries say were poisoned were narrow and light (such as blowgun darts or Western Scythian arrows) or shot from weak bows (such as the Chinese Chu-ko-nu or the bows of the San / Bushmen).

This thread has given you some good leads, like the Chinese writer on poisoned crossbow bolts and Adrienne Mayor on poisoned Scythian arrows.

Sean, I don't want to extrapolate anything. I just want to know the reality as best can be determined without writing a PhD thesis on it.

But I think you are missing a lot here. I posted a link to a serious article which noted that poisoned arrows were used by (quoting directly):

"According to the Greek and Roman writers, archers who steeped their arrows in serpents’ venom included the Gauls, the Dacians and Dalmatians (of the Balkans), the Sarmatians of Persia (now Iran), the Getae of Thrace, Slavs, Armenians, Parthians between the Indus and Euphrates, Indians, North Africans, and the Scythian nomads of the Central Asian steppes."

Last I checked, Gauls, Dacians, Dalmatians, Slavs and Thracians were all in Europe. Did you miss this part? Not to mention the Greeks and Romans themselves. Poison arrows were described by Homer as used in the Trojan War. Tacitus talked about them.

I have delved a bit further into the Greek and Roman use of arrow poisons. Apparently they were able to use local plants:

https://www.insectomania.org/biological-weapons/toxic-tactics-and-terrors.html

"The Greeks and Romans had a botanical arsenal at their disposal, including extracts of belladonna, hemlock, monkshood, and yew berries. In addition, they were well acquainted with rhododendron, a shrubby tree possessing gorgeous pink and white flowers—along with neurotoxic sap and nectar. This plant flourished throughout the Mediterranean, around the Black Sea, and into Asia, where its poisonous properties were widely known. Although the sap was used as an arrow poison, killing one enemy at a time is a laborious way to secure victory. For the crafty military mind, an intriguing property of rhododendron gave it the potential to become a weapon of mass destruction."

A little more on this vein :

"About 24 toxic Eurasian plant species, often employed as medicines in tiny dosages, were collected to make arrow poisons or other biological weapons used in historical battles. One of the most popular plant drugs was hellebore, identified by the ancients as black hellebore (probably the Christmas rose of the buttercup Ranunculaceae family, Helleborus niger) and white hellebore (the lily family, Liliaceae). The unrelated plants are each laden with powerful chemicals that cause severe vomiting and diarrhea, muscle cramps, delirium, convulsions, asphyxia, and heart attack. Hellebore was one of the arrow drugs used by the Gauls, among other groups, and it was also used to poison wells.

Another favorite biowar toxin was aconite or monkshood (also called wolfsbane). Aconitum (buttercup family) contains the alkaloid aconitine, a violent poison, which in high doses causes vomiting and paralyzes the nervous system, resulting in death. Aconite was employed by the archers of ancient Greece and India, and its use in warfare continued into modernity. For example, during the war between the Spanish and the Moors in 1483, Arab archers wrapped aconite-soaked cotton around their arrowheads. Nepalese Gurkhas poisoned wells with aconite in the nineteenth century, and during World War II, Nazi scientists created aconitine-treated bullets.

Henbane (Hyoscyamus niger), a sticky, bad-smelling weed containing the powerful narcotics hyoscyamine and scopolamine, was also collected as arrow poison in antiquity. Henbane causes violent seizures, psychosis, and death. Other plant juices used on projectiles included hemlock (Conium maculatum), yew (Taxus baccata), rhododendron, and several species of deadly nightshade or belladonna, which causes vertigo, extreme agitation, coma, and death. The fact that the Latin word for deadly nightshade was dorycnion, ‘spear drug’, suggests that it was smeared on weapons at a very early date, as noted by Pliny the Elder, a natural historian of the first century AD."

So apparently there is ample evidence of arrow poisons used by the Greeks and Romans in Antiquity, and there is at least one documented case of the use of poisoned arrows in warfare in medieval Europe, by Moors in 1483, I'll try to dig deeper and find the sources on that.

Quote:

I would be interested in good sources for Filippino swords or daggers being poisoned, and especially that the poison was effective (many historical recipes for poisons are useless or would require very large doses). I would want to see the sources about the siege of Harmatelia for myself, but remember that India is a big place and one town using poisoned weapons does not mean that everyone did! I think that focusing on the sources would be better than speculating why some peoples did or did not poison their weapons.

I'm not really interested in branching out the discussion into the use of poisons all over the world, although feel free to do so if you want, I don't really have time to delve into Philippines or India. But I'm trying to figure out what you are getting at here, are you suggesting that nobody anywhere used poisoned weapons effectively?

Please don't take this as rude Sean, as it's not intended to be, but I just want to be clear that I started this thread to see if anyone knew anything about something pretty specific that somebody asked me about: The use of poisoned weapons in Europe. The couple of posts people made related to that topic are appreciated.

I did not start the thread to debate the draw weight of bows, or whether people wore armor in Antiquity, or to debate whether Europeans could have imported or had access to poisons which (I'm sorry to be blunt) is absurd.

I don't have a strong opinion of precisely how strong bows were in various eras although I realize many folks do, I think I've made that clear. My point is that at least some people's bows seem to be powerful enough going back to early recorded history. Certainly by the time of the later Roman Imperium, bows were clearly capable of inflicting mass casualties on well protected Roman soldiers, right?

I guess the original reason for bringing this idea of weaker bows up was to claim that they might have needed poisons more in Antiquity because their arrows and other missiles weren't harmful enough on their own, but I don't think that is plausible. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I think I made it clear why I don't buy it.
Sean Manning wrote:

Sean, I don't want to extrapolate anything. I just want to know the reality as best can be determined without writing a PhD thesis on it.

But I think you are missing a lot here. I posted a link to a serious article which noted that poisoned arrows were used by (quoting directly):

"According to the Greek and Roman writers, archers who steeped their arrows in serpents’ venom included the Gauls, the Dacians and Dalmatians (of the Balkans), the Sarmatians of Persia (now Iran), the Getae of Thrace, Slavs, Armenians, Parthians between the Indus and Euphrates, Indians, North Africans, and the Scythian nomads of the Central Asian steppes."

Last I checked, Gauls, Dacians, Dalmatians, Slavs and Thracians were all in Europe. Did you miss this part? Not to mention the Greeks and Romans themselves. Poison arrows were described by Homer as used in the Trojan War. Tacitus talked about them.

Do you mean this article? It would be important to see the actual sources, because poisoned arrows are cool and because Roman writers attribute similar practices to all peoples at the edges of the world. In particular, I can't recall reading about poisoned arrows in histories of wars or treatises on hunting from ancient Europe. One of the sources in the article on ScienceDirect is Silus Italicus, and he loves exciting stories about sinister foreigners in his epic poem!

One of my points back on page 1 was that since people before the 20th century did not have a good distinction between "poison" "infection" "curse" and "that wound is hard to cure" we need to look carefully before we agree with a source that says "thus-and-such a weapon was poisoned." Otherwise we would believe that bullets were poisoned in Europe in the 16th century! And recipes for poisons in books are often nonsense, because the people writing and buying the books were not the people making and using the poison. Also, people who worked with poisons may not have wanted to share everything they knew with anyone who could read. And people who do dangerous things usually have many little rituals, most of which affect their internal self-confidence but not the external world. So even if we have a source that a people rubbed salve on their weapons before battle, we would need to confirm that the salve was actually an effective poison and not the equivalent of wearing your lucky socks to the big game.

I think there is a scene in the Iliad where someone is worried that an arrow was poisoned. And toxon "bow" in Greek is etymologically related to "toxic, poisonous." But those would definitely be worth looking at closely! A chapter in a textbook on respiratory medicine like the ScienceDirect article is not likely to use ancient texts in a very critical way.

Back on page 1 of this thread you said "In the Philippines they used to put poison on their Kampilan swords, in fact there is a little 'spur' affixed to the sword just for that purpose." I have not heard that, but I would love to learn more. So you were the one who brought up the Philippines.

You and Ryan S. brought up India.
So forgive me for being blunt, I'm trying to figure out what your point is. Do you reject the references in the articles posted above to the use of hellebore, wolfsbane, henbane, rhododendron etc. for use (among other purposes) as arrow poisons?

And you feel certain that snake venom was not used by Greek or Roman soldiers?

Yes I briefly brought up Filipino use of poisons, but I am not prepared to expand the discussion into six directions and debate it ad nauseum. I really don't know sources for military history in the Pacific and that isn't what I am trying to figure out here. I think the use of poisoned weapons in the Philippines is pretty well established.

I may not be parsing your posts correctly, but you seem to want to challenge the notion that anybody, anywhere used poisoned weapons, outside of a few very specific cases in remote areas, which by all means, you can feel free to do, but that isn't an argument to me, as far as I'm concerned that's settled. In fact I'd call that an outlier position if that is what you are trying to argue.

Nor is there any doubt in my mind at this point that poisoned weapons (at least arrows, and probably other projectiles) were in fairly wide use in Europe in Antiquity. I'm not convinced that all the Classical sources who mention it were making up tropes either, that seems to be a very common but weak argument made against anything people don't understand in Classical sources.
Ok the following are a few excerpts from Pliny's Naturalis Historia

BOOK XI.

CHAP. 20.—THE YEW.

There are authors, also, who assert that the poisons which we call at the present day “toxica,” and in which arrows are dipped, were formerly called taxica, from this tree.

CHAP. 115. (53.)—RESPIRATION AND NUTRIMENT.

The Scythians dip their arrows in the poison of serpents and human blood: against this frightful composition there is no remedy, for with the slightest touch it is productive of instant death.

BOOK XVIII.

THE NATURAL HISTORY OF GRAIN.
CHAP. 1. (1.)—TASTE OF THE ANCIENTS FOR AGRICULTURE.

The elephant, we find, and the urus, know how to2 sharpen2 and renovate their teeth against the trunks of trees, and the rhinoceros against rocks; wild boars, again, point their tusks like so many poniards by the aid of both rocks and trees; and all animals, in fact, are aware how to prepare themselves for the infliction of injury upon others; but still, which is there among them all, with the exception of man, that dips his weapons in poison? As for ourselves, we envenom the point of the arrow,3 and we contrive to add to the destructive powers of iron itself; by the aid of poisons we taint the waters of the stream, and we infect the various elements of Nature; indeed, the very air even, which is the main support of life, we turn into a medium for the destruction of life.

CHAP. 81. (20.)—PORCILLACA OR PURSLAIN, OTHERWISE CALLED PEPLIS: TWENTY-FIVE REMEDIES.

There is a wild purslain,1672 too, called “peplis,” not much superior in its virtues to the cultivated1673 kind, of which such remarkable properties are mentioned. It neutralizes the effects, it is said, of poisoned arrows,

BOOK XXIV

CHAP. 25.—TO WHAT PERSONS HELLEBORE SHOULD NEVER BE ADMINISTERED.

The people of Gaul, when hunting, tip their arrows with hellebore, taking care to cut away the parts about the wound in the animal so slain: the flesh, they say, is all the more tender for it. Flies are destroyed with white hellebore, bruised and sprinkled about a place with milk: phthiriasis is also cured by the use of this mixture.

CHAP. 30.—FOUR REMEDIES DERIVED FROM THE SCINCUS.

According to Apelles, the flesh of the scincus is good for wounds inflicted by poisoned arrows, whether taken before or after the wound is inflicted: it is used as an ingredient, also, in the most celebrated antidotes.

CHAP. 76.—THE LIMEUM: ONE REMEDY.

Limeum is the name given by the Gauls to a plant, in a preparation of which, known to them as “deer’s poison,” they dip their arrows when hunting. To three modii of salivating mixture1931 they put as much of the plant as is used for poisoning a single arrow; and a mess of it is passed down the throat, in cases where oxen are suffering from disease, due care being taken to keep them fastened to the manger till they have been purged, as they are generally rendered frantic by the dose. In case perspiration supervenes, they are drenched all over with cold water.

So from the above I conclude:

1) Pliny describes not just foreigners like Scythians and Gauls using poison, but also "we" and "us" - i.e. the Greeks themselves.
2) Remedies are discussed several times, presumably indicating an ongoing hazard
3) At least two distinct types of poison made from specific plants are mentioned as being used for hunting. In a way which seems very specific and does apparently correlate with the analysis of modern experts on toxicology (at least in the case of hellebore).

Conclusion? yes they did use poison arrows in Antiquity, both for warfare and, apparently, hunting.
So forgive me for being blunt, I'm trying to figure out what your point is. Do you reject the references in the articles posted above to the use of hellebore, wolfsbane, henbane, rhododendron etc. for use (among other purposes) as arrow poisons?

I would like to see the actual sources behind the article on ScienceDirect and the book by Adrienne Mayor. Here are two which might be helpful.

Book 11, chapter 4 of the Strategikon of emperor Maurice (he died in 602, the treatise might be a decade or two earlier or later) says that some Slavs and Antes along the lower Danube use wooden bows and short arrows which they smear with a poisonous drug so Roman soldiers should take antidotes or learn to treat poisoned wounds. His ethnography seems pretty trustworthy to me, and this fits the pattern (in the region around the Black Sea, applied to projectiles, associated with relatively weak weapons).

I think one of the sources which Mayor cites for poisoned arrows in Gaul is Celsus' treatise on medicine. Book 5, chapter 27 has the following

Quote:
Therefore first the limb is to be constricted above this kind of wound, but not too tightly, lest it become numbed; next, the poison is to be drawn out. A cup does this best. But it is not amiss beforehand to according to incisions with a scalpel around the wound, in order that more of the vitiated blood may be extracted. If there is no cup at hand, although this can hardly happen, use any similar vessel which can do what you want; if there is not even this, a man must be got to suck the wound. I declare there is no particular science in those people who are called Psylli, but a boldness confirmed by experience. For serpent's poison, like certain hunter's poisons, such as the Gauls in particular use, does no harm when swallowed, but only in a wound. Hence the snake itself may be safely eaten, whilst its stroke kills; and if one is stupefied, which mountebanks effect[p. 117] by certain medicaments, and if anyone puts his finger into its mouth and is not bitten, its saliva is harmless. Anyone, therefore, who follows the example of the Psylli and sucks out the wound, will himself be safe, and will promote the safety of the patient. He must see to it, however, beforehand that he has no sore place on his gums or palate or other parts of the mouth.

His chapter on treating arrow wounds (book 7, chapter 5) does not mention poison, so he might be thinking of poisoned stakes. Celsus seems like a pretty practical guy, so I think that is pretty good evidence of the use of poisoned weapons for hunting in Gaul around the time of Augustus (not war or murder though!)

Tacitus on foreigners is "danger, danger Will Robinson!" Pliny the Elder is tricky, he rode around in a sedan chair dictating notes from the books he read to his slaves and he was not very skeptical of what he read. Sometimes he had good sources and understood them, other times he is mis-remembering the equivalent of an Ausie telling the tourists about dropbears.

And you feel certain that snake venom was not used by Greek or Roman soldiers?
If you want to say that Greek and Roman soldiers used poisoned weapons, it would be your responsibility to argue for that not other people's responsibility to argue against that.
Thank you for the additional evidence, I believe I have provided enough to settle the issue of the use of poisoned weapons in Antiquity (and I think Pliny is a pretty good source, sedan chair or no). I don't consider that a controversial matter, your (implicit) claim that it was not used seems to be the outlier to me.

Apparently Strabo and Aristotle mention it as well.

I suppose Procopius on Justinians wars would be a good source to look at as well. I don't have time to troll through all that right now though. I admit I'm a little tempted.... but I can't really spare the time today. Maybe later.

What I'm really interested in at this point is medieval usage, such as this incident in (Grenada?) in 1483 and / or why did the practice end, if it did. But it doesn't look like we will get there in this thread...
Ok the following are a few excerpts from Pliny's Naturalis Historia

CHAP. 115. (53.)—RESPIRATION AND NUTRIMENT.

The Scythians dip their arrows in the poison of serpents and human blood: against this frightful composition there is no remedy, for with the slightest touch it is productive of instant death.

Could this be hyperbole? A quick google search suggests that a snake bite causes death in 15-20 mins for the more deadly species. I am also not sure how good a slight touch is at delivering the poison. A shallow cut would bleed, which would force some poison out, which is already diluted with blood. Of course, that doesn't mean the Scythians didn't use fast acting poison in battle.

Quote:

The elephant, we find, and the urus, know how to2 sharpen2 and renovate their teeth against the trunks of trees, and the rhinoceros against rocks; wild boars, again, point their tusks like so many poniards by the aid of both rocks and trees; and all animals, in fact, are aware how to prepare themselves for the infliction of injury upon others; but still, which is there among them all, with the exception of man, that dips his weapons in poison? As for ourselves, we envenom the point of the arrow,3 and we contrive to add to the destructive powers of iron itself; by the aid of poisons we taint the waters of the stream, and we infect the various elements of Nature; indeed, the very air even, which is the main support of life, we turn into a medium for the destruction of life.

The "we" here refers to men as a species, not the Greeks.

I would say that the conclusions that one can draw from these sources, is that poison arrows seem more often used for hunting. The fact that Scythians used poison is considered worth mentioning, which implies that not everyone used it.

I found the source about the Scythians using dung and rotten snake corpses, it is from psuedo-Aristole:
Quote:
“They say that the Scythian poison, in which that people dips its arrows, is procured from the viper. The Scythians, it would appear, watch those that are just bringing forth young, and take them, and allow them to putrefy for some days.”

After several days passed, the Scythian shaman would then take the venom and mix it with other ingredients. One of these concoctions required human blood:

“But when the whole mass appears to them to have become sufficiently rotten, they pour human blood into a little pot, and, after covering it with a lid, bury it in a dung-hill. And when this likewise has putrefied, they mix that which settles on the top, which is of a watery nature, with the corrupted blood of the viper, and thus make it a deadly poison.”

I got it from here: https://www.ancient-origins.net/artifacts-ancient-technology/poison-ak47-ancient-0010101

It seems like they didn't milk the snakes, but used the whole bodies. I am not sure how that affects the production, especially if they just used recently hatched snakes. I get the idea that smell is associated with poison, which isn't totally wrong. Still, I wonder if all the things they are mixing with the venom isn’t just diluting it. Anyway, I wouldn't call this a recipe, it is more a general description on how it was made.

I think a more convincing source would be an account of a battle with someone dying from poison or using poison.

As far as the strength of bows, it is possible for some tribes to have strong bows and others to have weaker ones. I am honestly not sure what to think about Scythian bows (I find it easier to find answers when one looks at a narrower question). Mike Loades writes that they were powerful. Although he describes the Scythians as being in Siberia as well as around the Black Sea. I wonder though, if the arrows were short and light, then the full potential of the bow would not have been utilized. What matters is with how much force the arrowhead hits the target.

Anyway, I find the weak weapon theory convincing, because it explains blowgun darts, but also why not everyone used poisons. Remember, you don't want to kill the enemy, just get him to stop fighting.
Jean might find some sources in treatises on hunting or scholarly books on crime and violence. Or on the steppes zone. But I would be surprised if he finds strong evidence that poisoned weapons were commonly used for murder or war in Latin Christendom or Greek Christendom.

I have not read the book by Adrienne Mayor, but I don't find it hard to believe that around 500 or 300 BCE, some people towards the western end of the Eurasian steppes poisoned their arrows and Greek writers had a vague idea of how they made the poison. And we definitely have ancient writers who say they did.
Ryan S. wrote:

Could this be hyperbole? A quick google search suggests that a snake bite causes death in 15-20 mins for the more deadly

It certainly could be hyperbole. We have no idea if it is or isn't. However, I don't think we have to assume that poisons were going to be exactly as effective as the venom from a snake or other animal bite or sting. Humans knew then, as they know now, how to process things. And of course, they also make mistakes.

So it's possible that the poison concocted by Scythians (and apparently, many others) from, in part, snake venom, may have been more potent than the actual snake bite, or it may have been less potent because they couldn't prevent it from breaking down. We know however that some of the alchemical practices from this era were quite sophisticated so i don't think it's out of the question that they would have made it more deadly.

We really can't assume either way.

Quote:

You seem very confident in this assertion. But I can't imagine why. This is not the only statement along those lines by Pliny or by other Greek and Roman scholars, I've learned. I don't think there is any reason to assume that he means what you think he does.

Quote:

I would say that the conclusions that one can draw from these sources, is that poison arrows seem more often used for hunting. The fact that Scythians used poison is considered worth mentioning, which implies that not everyone used it.

To the contrary, multiple sources have noted that the Greeks, Romans, Dacians, Illlyrians, Slavs, Gauls and others used poison weapons.

The idea that some people such as the Gauls only used poison for hunting is interesting, but (again) I don't see any reason to assume that. Do you know of some law, or taboo, or special treaty preventing the use of poison in war? Because to the contrary I can think of many examples where (chemical and biological) poison was widely used in war.

So I think your assumption here, while potentially an interesting theory, is baseless in terms of supporting evidence.

Quote:

It seems like they didn't milk the snakes, but used the whole bodies. I am not sure how that affects the production, especially

This is one account or 'recipe' for poison among many. We don't know if it's accurate, or as Sean suggested, vague. Nothing you posted helps us distinguish that, or know if this example is typical or representative. You are just making more assumptions.

J

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Sun 17 Jul, 2022 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean Manning wrote:
Jean might find some sources in treatises on hunting or scholarly books on crime and violence. Or on the steppes zone. But I would be surprised if he finds strong evidence that poisoned weapons were commonly used for murder or war in Latin Christendom or Greek Christendom.

I have not read the book by Adrienne Mayor, but I don't find it hard to believe that around 500 or 300 BCE, some people towards the western end of the Eurasian steppes poisoned their arrows and Greek writers had a vague idea of how they made the poison. And we definitely have ancient writers who say they did.

Aside from one example of Moors using wolfsbane on arrows in 1483, and claims by the French of English dipping their arrows in dung, I don't know of any evidence of the use of poison in Latin or Greek Christendom past say, the reign of Justinian. However there seems to be ample evidence of it's use in the Classical World, and by Greek and Roman Armies. At least in the sense that Greek, Hellenistic and Roman Armies employed Gauls, Dacians, Sarmatians, Parthians, Scythians and so on as mercenaries and auxiliaries. So even if the Greeks and Romans themselves were for some reason abstaining from the direct use of poisons on weapons (though not apparently, in siege warfare), they were employing them in war because their troops were most likely using them.

Unless perhaps we have some kind of Roman or Greek law, taboo, or special prohibition which would extend even to foreign auxiliaries and mercenaries? I'd love to see that if you know of one.

I think we can safely dismiss the argument (as previously stated in this thread) that they couldn't figure it out or didn't have snakes etc., I also think the notion that only people with weak missile weapons used poison is also dubious, as neither the Parthians nor Scythians were known for having weak bows.

The key point here though is that I wasn't trying to find out if such weapons were used in Christendom per se, but specifically in Europe. Medieval Europe was mostly Christian but not entirely. There were still Muslims in what is now Spain and pagans in the Baltic until the end of the 15th Century, and ever expanding parts of Greek Christendom and the Balkans were being converted to Islam at the point of a sword by the Ottomans. So European and Christian are not synonymous even in the medieval period.

Certainly not in the Classical era.
The 1525 translation of that 1497 surgery manual by Hieronymus Brunschwig has a passage that includes a description of a person who tried to poison arrows & other weapons: "hauyng in mynde that daye to poyson arrowes and other wepẽs." The context confuses me. Here's the text from Early English Books Online:

Quote:
¶ Of wou~dis that be shot with poyseneth arrow hedis and many other thynges. Ca. xvii.
A Man shotien with a  poysoned arrow or ony other wepe~. and you haue take~ out the arrowe in suche maner & for|me as is afore wri+te~. For yt which ve+nym shot the same person hath greate harme that the same ve|nyme cometh from one ioynte to another, for faute of takynge hede betyme. ¶ I ihero+nymus brou~swyk born in strae soorow ha+ue sene one was bytte~ in his thombe which he wolde a reested / & he had etyn in ye night som what / hauyng in mynde that daye to poyson arrowes and other wepe~s / and as he wolde a reested that man he cast hym on the grou~de and so cam his thombe in ye ma~|nys mouth & he booted the thome and wold not leue his bythynge vnto to the tyme his mouth was full of blode / wherby he was almoost choked with the sayd bloode / tha~ he opened his mouth and let hym goo / and sayd he had ynoughe to saue his lyfe / for as moche as the thome was so fore it must be cut of / and after that was ye hande cut of / & after that was cut of the arme / and ye body was swolle~ so byg that they cowde skante saue his lyf. therfore it is nede to take heed with the fyrst to gyue hym tryacle magna one dragne medled withe wyne / therein must be soden tormentyll dyptan & master roote and rew wat{er} as moche as is ye wyne eche an ounce. And that shalbe gyue~ hym at euery. xxiiii. ouris. In ye wou~de ther as the arrow is puld out / put warme violet oyle made of lynneseed oyle / and in ye same wou~de shall ye put a tent depe in the sayd oyle / and that wyll draw out the venym / and put the same oyle to the salue wherwt ye wyll heele ye wou~de. and do in lyke wyse to them yt is shot wt a go~ne / for that taketh ut the ey[...] & that fyre / and bryngeth the wou~det fayre matter into helynge.

This person was bitten in the thumb, presumably by something venomous, & apparently wanted to use the wound to poison arrows & other weapons. Perhaps the original text from Brunschwig makes more sense, if anyone has access & the necessary language proficiency.
Ryan S. wrote:

Could this be hyperbole? A quick google search suggests that a snake bite causes death in 15-20 mins for the more deadly

It certainly could be hyperbole. We have no idea if it is or isn't. However, I don't think we have to assume that poisons were going to be exactly as effective as the venom from a snake or other animal bite or sting. Humans knew then, as they know now, how to process things. And of course, they also make mistakes.

So it's possible that the poison concocted by Scythians (and apparently, many others) from, in part, snake venom, may have been more potent than the actual snake bite, or it may have been less potent because they couldn't prevent it from breaking down. We know however that some of the alchemical practices from this era were quite sophisticated so i don't think it's out of the question that they would have made it more deadly.

We really can't assume either way.

Quote:

You seem very confident in this assertion. But I can't imagine why. This is not the only statement along those lines by Pliny or by other Greek and Roman scholars, I've learned. I don't think there is any reason to assume that he means what you think he does.

Quote:

To the contrary, multiple sources have noted that the Greeks, Romans, Dacians, Illlyrians, Slavs, Gauls and others used poison weapons.

The idea that some people such as the Gauls only used poison for hunting is interesting, but (again) I don't see any reason to assume that. Do you know of some law, or taboo, or special treaty preventing the use of poison in war? Because to the contrary I can think of many examples where (chemical and biological) poison was widely used in war.

So I think your assumption here, while potentially an interesting theory, is baseless in terms of supporting evidence.

Quote:

It seems like they didn't milk the snakes, but used the whole bodies. I am not sure how that affects the production, especially

This is one account or 'recipe' for poison among many. We don't know if it's accurate, or as Sean suggested, vague. Nothing you posted helps us distinguish that, or know if this example is typical or representative. You are just making more assumptions.

J

The idea that we can't know if mixing venom with blood and dung makes it more potent or less potent is false. Maybe as laymen we are only guessing, but the ability to make an educated guess exists, and its quality increases based on the data one has. I find it interesting, that you say that I am assuming, but really, my point is that there is room for doubt. You are claiming that it is well established that poison weapons were widespread in the ancient world. I think that the evidence is weaker than you think. You can't just assume that an ancient source is literal and accurate. I will note, that in my experience, that hyperbole in describing the effects of poison is the rule. For example, an African acquaintance told me that there is a snake where you die after it bites you, and you take seven steps, and that the black mamba means instant death. The black mamba venom is really potent, but it takes time to do its work. Even if it took 15-30 minutes to die from a poison arrow, that would be very fast, and the victim would be unfit to fit before that.

You can at least understand why someone might be suspicious of a technique for poison that seems more complicated than needed, and involved mixing the active ingredient with rotten flesh and blood. I suggest you look up how various snake venoms react with blood and flesh, because their purpose is to attack blood and flesh.

Quote:
The elephant, we find, and the urus, know how to sharpen and renovate their teeth against the trunks of trees, and the rhinoceros against rocks; wild boars, again, point their tusks like so many poniards by the aid of both rocks and trees; and all animals, in fact, are aware how to prepare themselves for the infliction of injury upon others; but still, which is there among them all, with the exception of man, that dips his weapons in poison? As for ourselves, we envenom the point of the arrow, and we contrive to add to the destructive powers of iron itself; by the aid of poisons we taint the waters of the stream, and we infect the various elements of Nature; indeed, the very air even, which is the main support of life, we turn into a medium for the destruction of life.

Here he is not mentioning tribes, but talking about how animals improve their weapons. I pointed this out, not to say that Greeks didn't use poison, but to say that he is not saying the Greek did. I don't know how Pliny normally writes about Greeks, but usually Greek writers don't use we, but rather say "the Greeks." At least in my experience.

As far as usage in war vs. hunting, I only read one source that says explicitly that people used poisoned weapons only for hunting, and that is the wikipedia article on curare. However, many sources say that poison was used for hunting, or for hunting a specific animal. So there is more evidence for hunting use then war use.

My guess, is that poison arrows were not normal arrows, so that even cultures that used them, didn't use them exclusively. Poison arrows were something the Greeks thought about, but they seem to have seen them as a curiosity. They may have used them. Some Greeks probably experimented with them, but I don't see refutable evidence from what you posted that it was used by the Greeks.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia on poison arrows:
Quote:
The following 17th-century account describes how arrow poisons were prepared in China:

In making poison arrows for shooting wild beasts, the tubers of wild aconitum are boiled in water. The resulting liquid, being highly viscous and poisonous, is smeared on the sharp edges of arrowheads. These treated arrowheads are effective in the quick killing of both human beings and animals, even though the victim may shed only a trace of blood

Aconitum is wolfsbane, so it is also available in Europe. I think it is the most likely arrow poison for Europe, because it is potent and easier to come across than snakes. Note the emphasis is on hunting, but it could also be used for war.
Ryan S. wrote:

The idea that we can't know if mixing venom with blood and dung makes it more potent or less potent is false. Maybe as laymen we are only guessing, but the ability to make an educated guess exists, and its quality increases based on the data one has. I find it interesting, that you say that I am assuming, but really, my point is that there is room for doubt.

There is always room for doubt with anything historical, but there is also such a thing as common sense.

Quote:
You are claiming that it is well established that poison weapons were widespread in the ancient world.

Yes, it is well established. Gauls, Dacians, Dalmatians, Soanes of the Caucasus, Sarmatians of Iran, Getae of Thrace, Slavs, Africans, Armenians, Parthians dwelling between the Indus and Euphrates, Scythians of Central Asia, Chinese and Indians were all known to use poisoned weapons in war, according to numerous Classical authors such as Pliny, Strabo, Ovid, Aristotle, Nicander of Claros, Galen and many others.

Quote:

I think that the evidence is weaker than you think. You can't just assume that an ancient source is literal and accurate.

No but when you have multiple sources across centuries of time and thousands of miles of distance, and their descriptions of plants and animals used to make poison are accurate enough that (most of the time) modern botanists and herpetologists etc. can determine precisely which poisons they are referring to, common sense kicks in. For some.

Quote:

I will note, that in my experience, that hyperbole in describing the effects of poison is the rule. For example, an African acquaintance told me that there is a snake where you die after it bites you, and you take seven steps, and that the black mamba means instant death. The black mamba venom is really potent, but it takes time to do its work. Even if it took 15-30 minutes to die from a poison arrow, that would be very fast, and the victim would be unfit to fit before that.

I think "seven steps" is just a euphemism for "really quick". Black mamba poison is notoriously deadly, and I really don't think that it makes a significant difference if an arrow poison, or a snake bite, kills in 20 seconds or 20 minutes or even a couple of hours. Either way it's highly effective. Especially when prior to death the symptoms include paralysis and sudden exhaustion ... and the one poisoned knows they have been.

Quote:

You can at least understand why someone might be suspicious of a technique for poison that seems more complicated than needed, and involved mixing the active ingredient with rotten flesh and blood. I suggest you look up how various snake venoms react with blood and flesh, because their purpose is to attack blood and flesh.

You are just making assumptions. This is just one method among many described for extracting snake venoms. Another, from India, was to hang the snake above an iron pot for several days. I suspect, though don't know, that if this method was used, it was probably for mass production of poison. I.e. if you are making venom for thousands of arrows, you don't have time to milk the teeth of thousands of individual snakes and it would be too risky to do so anyway. Safer to processes it that way.

There are actually detailed analysis of the possible reasons for processing snake venom this way in toxicology research. Of course, it would also depend on the specific species of snake and the specific type of venom.

Quote:

Here he is not mentioning tribes, but talking about how animals improve their weapons. I pointed this out, not to say that Greeks didn't use poison, but to say that he is not saying the Greek did. I don't know how Pliny normally writes about Greeks, but usually Greek writers don't use we, but rather say "the Greeks." At least in my experience.

You are making a big assumption, and seem certain of it, which isn't a good sign.

There is one key difference in poisons used for hunting vs war. You can use poisons for war that you wouldn't want to use for hunting.

Quote:
Aconitum is wolfsbane, so it is also available in Europe. I think it is the most likely arrow poison for Europe, because it is potent and easier to come across than snakes. Note the emphasis is on hunting, but it could also be used for war.

Wolfsbane is only one of at least a dozen species of poisonous plants used as arrow poisons just within Europe alone that were known to the Classical world, as I have already pointed out and quoted both directly from Pliny the Elder and from toxicology textbooks I linked upthread.

As for snakes:

"In about 130 BC, for example, the toxicology manual compiled by Nicander, a priest of Apollo at the Temple of Claros in Asia Minor, listed twenty vipers and cobras known in the Greco-Roman world. Descriptions by Nicander and other writers often provide enough details for modern herpetologists to identify the species. Moreover, the medical symptoms of snakebites and arrow wounds contaminated by venom are accurately described in the ancient accounts. First, necrosis appears around the wound, with dark blue or black oozing gore, followed by putrid sores, hemorrhages, swelling limbs, vomiting, wracking pain, and “freezing pain around the heart,” culminating in convulsions, shock, and death. Only a very few lucky victims recovered from snake-venom bites or arrows, and sometimes the wounds festered for years, as described in the myth of Philoctetes.3"
Arrived a bit late to this very interesting thread.

At least for hunting, Spanish texts explain Heleborus Niger, Aconitus or Luparia (Those are the same! You didn't hear Snape? ;) ) but those were probably used too by Muslim Spanish during the Rebellion of the Alpujarras (1568–1571):
https://books.google.es/books?id=acHQ23o-IpkC&printsec=frontcover&hl=es&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=aconito&f=false

And in some late medieval regional nobility fights (Bienandanzas e fortunas, by Lope García de Salazar -not Slytherin!-), poisoned crossbow bolts were sometimes allegedly used. Sadly, most times are vague, just saying "yerbas" (herbs).
Jean, I see that you are making subtle ad hominem arguments and that it is really difficult to have a good faith conversation with you. Especially, because you make more of an effort to prove people wrong than to understand their points. You construct strawmen from exaggerating points that people make and get all excited about it, and then claim other people have strong feelings...

You suggest that it is absurd to think that Europeans couldn't import Chinese cobra venom because they imported spices and other dry goods. However, you fail to google how long snake venom lasts, a key factor in the viability of transporting it. Your argument against the existence of weak bows in the past is that the Parthians and the Huns beat the Romans. Although, there is no law that one needs strong bows to beat Romans, or claiming that they used poison.

You are also extremely dismissive of any economic consideration, as well as technical and logistical problems that must exist. You have a very low standard of what counts as a military effective poison, and at the same time do not consider any trade-offs that might be involved.

As far as snakes, the existence of a species or number of species in Europe doesn't mean that the Europeans had them always at hand. If they got the snakes from the wild, they would have to go out looking for them, and snakes aren't easy to find. The same goes with plants.

As far as common sense, common sense is what tells me that burying a dead snake in a pile of dung, isn't going to preserve its venom. Maybe it does, but that would be counterintuitive.

And as far as the Pliny quote, he means what I say he means.
Quote:
which is there among them all, with the exception of man, that dips his weapons in poison?
It is man that dips his weapons in poison as contrasted with animals. He is talking about species, not people groups.
Also, the Parthian and Hunnish bows are quite different than western Scythian bows. I can't comment on the details, because my ancient research focuses on the period 700-300 BCE and those types of bow are later. My understanding is that the Greek and Roman texts about Scythians poisoning arrows probably derive from sources in the 500-300 BCE era and later writers are reworking their material.

I made some mistakes early in this thread from reading too quickly, so I want to make sure we keep sources straight.

The name luparia / wolf's bane sounds like aconite was used to poison wolves. I would love to learn more about how (spikes in a pit? poisoned bait? smeared on arrowheads and spearheads?)
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Page 3 of 6

Jump to: