Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The "mail" man............ Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
Look's good,although i must admit you look younger in the armour.
Cool

I'm silver headed either way!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
Aaron thanks for the offer, but if I ever get my greedy hands on a Svante you can rest assured that I'll keep it for myself... Razz

I've made exactly oen set of mail garments and use prefabricated non-riveted rings, that was a chore but I can only imagine the effort you took with your suit. For all that i like the 'look' of 13th Century gear I feel that a sturdy buffcoat and Zischegge works just as well. Less hardship involved in getting them too.

/Daniel

I've made exactly one hauberk out of butted rings.

Never again.

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I've made exactly one hauberk out of butted rings.

Never again.

I'm on #8. I keep saying it's the last one...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a larger version of the photo.

http://www.pbase.com/khp_plk/image/43112081

Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick, with that helm and broad coif/mantle you're ready to be a West Highland Scotsman for any century through the 15th! Just wear it atop a padded aketon, or even just a stout leather coat. Adds a very nice measure of protection...

Looks good; I'm jealous.

By the way, it's my opinion that we shouldn't be too dogmatic about issues like integral vs. separate coifs, or aventail vs. coif (i.e. is the coif/mantle attached to the helm, or under it, in a given time & place). I tried researching this to death a few years ago, and could not find widespread agreement on either of these issues, with regard to earlier time periods (pre 14th C.). The pictorial and other evidence seems difficult to interpret.

I agree that for an 11th C Norman, the general consensus is an integral coif -- but you're welcome to stand beside me against the Saxons!

Big Grin
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Grzybek wrote:
Daniel Staberg wrote:
Can I play too? Big Grin

Me (in white) and friend cornerd by the photpgrapher a few years ago while I could still take the weight of armour on my shoulder and swing a sword...

Great outfits Aaron and Patrick. I've always been fond of the fully mailed look though good chausses are hard to find.

Angry swordsmen are the worst kind Big Grin

You guys look like you've got that "don't make me go Medieval on you" look.

I try to make a name as an Keyboardfencer but alas it is a difficult approach...[/img]

Attachment: 44.04 KB
Keyboardfencer.jpg

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Maccarrone wrote:
Patrick, with that helm and broad coif/mantle you're ready to be a West Highland Scotsman for any century through the 15th! Just wear it atop a padded aketon, or even just a stout leather coat. Adds a very nice measure of protection...

Looks good; I'm jealous.

By the way, it's my opinion that we shouldn't be too dogmatic about issues like integral vs. separate coifs, or aventail vs. coif (i.e. is the coif/mantle attached to the helm, or under it, in a given time & place). I tried researching this to death a few years ago, and could not find widespread agreement on either of these issues, with regard to earlier time periods (pre 14th C.). The pictorial and other evidence seems difficult to interpret.

I agree that for an 11th C Norman, the general consensus is an integral coif -- but you're welcome to stand beside me against the Saxons!

Big Grin

Thanks Joe!

Wait until you see the viking helm I have coming from Medieval Reproductions. Pete Fuller sent me an in-progress photo last week. Sweet!

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hi Patrick,
It was great to see you point out the authenticity issues with the seperate voif. I was like "I know Patrick knows that's not accurate."
Don't you think that the hauberk should extend to the knees- past the mid thigh.
How will you address the unprotected area on the forearms at the end of the hauberk sleeves on to the hand. This organic material question can be so pesky. I do not know how I would address it- through bracers and gloves or through full gauntlets.
I am totally in synch with you in your era of choice and in the continuous push towards increased athenticity.
God speed!
Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

I was running around the backyard again this morning, all dressed up in my fun suit. (thank goodness for a privacy fence) I noticed that both the sleeves and the hem are longer than I had thought. The sleeves come to a bit over halfway down my forearm, and the hem reaches to just above the knee cap.

Gary Venable

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I feel I can go with COOL, not sexy, but COOL.

Patrick do you have a gambesom on underneith or just a soft candy coating Wink

Also what (if any) references did you use in picking the pieces.

Gary
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Venable wrote:
I feel I can go with COOL, not sexy, but COOL.

Patrick do you have a gambesom on underneith or just a soft candy coating Wink

Also what (if any) references did you use in picking the pieces.

No gambeson as of yet Gary. The old one that I used to wear with my plate harness is too bulky to fit underneath the hauberk. That's a nice way of saying that there's a lot more of me than there used to be, and not enough room between me and the hauberk to squeeze in a heavy gambeson. Sad I'll definitely get one eventually though. In this photo I'm also wearing an old wool watch cap from my Navy days, beneath the coif. I have a cheap arming cap but it's so big and bulky that I can hardly shove the helmet onto my head! It would be fine underneath a great helm but not this one. So I'll have to acquire a decent medium weight gambeson and arming cap. It's all a work in progress.

Actually, in this photo I'm barefoot and wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Hence the photo angle. Big Grin

I don't have any specific literary references that I'm trying to duplicate here. The Norman Knight of the late 11th-early 12th century has always been my favorite so that's generally the look I'm going for. I've always preferred the look of the one-piece nasal helms to the riveted spangen variety so the choice of this helm was an obvious one (far superior in construction and proportion to the MRL Wenceslas type helm). I like the contrast of the smooth helmet surface and the mail. Due to the aforementioned need for interchangeability compromises have to be made, like the separate coif. In the end though I think the overall look will be fairly convincing.

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sigh, bloody bloody heck. Following this thread has pricked my conscience again. With you guys talking about your ensembles there it has reminded me once again that in order to make good scabbards I really need to spend more time getting a feel for the entire historical period that the sword comes from. I've known that but keep telling myself well "your doing good enough..." Well I'm not. So it looks like you gentlemen will force me to buy some more reference material. I keep hearing about the Osprey books but have heard both positive and negatives about them. In your opinion are they a good starting point? Please remember that I've got to cover a LOT of different time periods so I can't perhaps go as in depth as some of you have done on a particular time period.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ!
The Osprey books, i like them and they are basic and a good starting point, would i say Happy

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Patrick, Russ. The Osprey books are a good starting point, and if you're looking for reference pictures they should serve you well. Of course that is assuming the artist wasn't just making things up as he went along.
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: The "mail" man............         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Comin' get some!

I'm doing a program next month for the local library. I was organizing some of my gear and thought I'd share a quick photo of my sexy self. Big Grin

(If you don't think I'm sexy please be gentle. I'm fragile. *g*)

Cool, not only the good looking pic Wink but going to your local library (we dont have one anymore) any chance to get some pics of you doing your thing there? Nice pic Patrick
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay, there's certainly a lot of them aren't there? I've identified approximately 20 of them that might potentially be useful...
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ,
The books published by Osprey are a mixed bag, some are quite good, some are ok and more than a few are plain horrible...
The key is knowing which authors&illustrators are good who are not, the problem is compunded by the fact that some of the authors vary in quality dependign on what they write about. For example David Nicolle have written several interesting books about the armies, battles and castles of the crusades in the middle east, however his books about the crusades in northern europe has a lot of flaws.

My reference library has a lot of books by osprey in it, if you send me a PM with a list of the titles you are interested in I'd be happy to look over it and give you a short review on any books I own.

Regards
Daniel
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Daniel I'll do that... okay back to our regular programming. Sorry Patrick the thought just occurred to me that I was busily hijacking your thread. You do look cute in that mail get up by the way... :P
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The "mail" man............         Reply with quote

Ben Sweet wrote:
any chance to get some pics of you doing your thing there? Nice pic Patrick

Thanks Ben, and yes I plan on taking my wife with me to man the camera.

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing the pics, Patrick, as well as hearing how things go.

How'd you score the gig, anyway? Something you volunteered for, were asked to do, on your own, or through an organization?

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Looking forward to seeing the pics, Patrick, as well as hearing how things go.

How'd you score the gig, anyway? Something you volunteered for, were asked to do, on your own, or through an organization?

I used to do these things all the time at local schools, until liability became too much of a concern. If little Johnny cuts his whittle finger on accident the school will wash their hands of you in a heartbeat. Not to mention the fact that it's a complete waste of time in the highschools anymore. Audience participation is a big key to the success of these things, and you get zero participation with teenagers. Even the ones who are interested won't dare ask a question in front of their friends for fear of being uncool. The rest of the boys give you their best tough guy stare and the girls are too busy looking at their nails.

This last summer I did a presentation for the Boyscouts and the local fine arts council heard about it. Consequently I was asked to give one during this summers program. Little kids still tend to get enthused and their parents do too.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The "mail" man............
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: