Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 2 Swords passed down through my Family Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alan J Armitage

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: 2 Swords passed down through my Family         Reply with quote

Hi
I'm new to this forum, but I was hoping for some help in Identifying 2 Swords. My Grandmother was an O'Carroll, from Tipperary in Ireland, a descendant of 1 of the Ely O'Carroll Septs, which one I'm not sure yet as I'm still researching my Ancestry. The story that has been passed down through generations is that an O'Carroll, one of my Ancestors Killed a Cromwellian Soldier at the gates of an O'Carroll house, Castle etc etc.... you get the idea. I have attached photo's of both swords, there are not in great condition, but I was hoping I may get some help in Identifying them. Ive done a small bit of research both here and on other sites and think maybe one of them is a British 1796 Pattern Light Cavalry Sword or Sabre. It looks extremly like one although there are a few bits missing and the detail of the Lions head gives the impression that maybe it belonged to someone higher up in rank. All a bit confusing. The other sword, I have no idea about.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For some reason the attachments are not visible for me (anyone else having this problem?). I think I could help, at least with the P1796 saber.

Jonathan
Alan J Armitage

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi
I do apologies about the last pictures I upload, not sure what happened with them.

I'm new to this forum, but I was hoping for some help in Identifying 2 Swords. My Grandmother was an O'Carroll, from Tipperary in Ireland, a descendant of 1 of the Ely O'Carroll Septs, which one I'm not sure yet as I'm still researching my Ancestry. The story that has been passed down through generations is that an O'Carroll, one of my Ancestors Killed a Cromwellian Soldier at the gates of an O'Carroll house, Castle etc etc.... you get the idea. I have attached photo's of both swords, there are not in great condition, but I was hoping I may get some help in Identifying them. Ive done a small bit of research both here and on other sites and think maybe one of them is a British 1796 Pattern Light Cavalry Sword or Sabre. It looks extremly like one although there are a few bits missing and the detail of the Lions head gives the impression that maybe it belonged to someone higher up in rank. All a bit confusing. The other sword, I have no idea about.

I have upload them again, they should be ok this time.
Thanks for all your patients Happy

Attachment: 52.62 KB
1.jpg

Attachment: 51.86 KB
2.jpg

Attachment: 43.17 KB
3.jpg

Attachment: 48.81 KB
4.jpg

Attachment: 58.55 KB
5.jpg

Attachment: 39.92 KB
6.jpg

Attachment: 51.81 KB
7.jpg

Attachment: 56.46 KB
8.jpg

E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Alan,
I think you're right about the sword with the lion-mask pommel and langets being related to a 1796 LC sword. You have an officer's variant there. However, with the blade being broken, you can't tell what the original blade length was, and the sword may not even be LC, as the overall 1796 styling was very popular in all branches of the English military and Navy.

The other sword is mid to late 1700s, probably English in origin, and probably an infantry officer's sword What on earth happened to the upper half of the pommel?

--ElJay
Alan J Armitage

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Eljay
I have no idea what happen to any of the swords. Sorry my knowledge of thedifferent parts of a sword are very limited. This is all new to me but extremely interesting. I have only got my hands on these in the last 2 weeks, but have heard about them for the last 20 years and nobody could ever tell me where they were. I have heard the story about them for a long time and since I have started to research my family I wanted to get my hands on them. They are really in bad condition too. what, if there is a point to cleaning would you use to clean the brass (at least I think it is brass). I cant find any numbers on them either.
Thanks so much for your help.
Has any one else got any opinions?

Alan
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a good idea to at least have these professionally conserved. The 1796 (?) probably has too many problems to justify restoration but should at least be stabilized.The more complete sword could probably benefit from professional restoration and become a beautiful heirloom for your family. The National Museum of Ireland in Dublin can probably help you find a professional to do the work--maybe somebody at the museum does this work on the side.

It would be a really bad idea to try to work on these yourself. Listen to E.B. Erickson, whatever he recommends. As far as I know he's the only person around here who actually does this kind of work professionally.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 2 Swords passed down through my Family
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic