Looking for informaiton on a specific rondel dagger
Hi everybody,

I am wondering if there is any more information available on a dagger showcased on the myArmorury facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/myArmoury/photos/a.761170890595330/750128721699547

Thank you!

Dan
The Facebook post looks like a copy and paste from a Hermann Historica auction catalogue. Have you found that auction listing (and looked up the reference book that the catalogue tells you to look at?)

If the auction house can't provide any record of who owned it before their anonymous seller, treat them like the Grinch asking to enter your house to check your faucet on Christmas Eve.
Thanks Sean. I hadn't. I wasn't sure about how to track down the facebook page reference "Cf. Seitz, Blankwaffen, vol. 1, 1965, p. 212". Thanks for linking it. There are two books I am seeing. The first one has the right year. Is the second a new edition, I wonder? Either way, that's a steep price to pay for info on just one dagger but the book is probably full of cool stuff and might be worth it.

It sounds also like you might also be saying I should contact the auction house directly. I might give that a shot! Thanks!
Dan Kary wrote:
Thanks Sean. I hadn't. I wasn't sure about how to track down the facebook page reference "Cf. Seitz, Blankwaffen, vol. 1, 1965, p. 212". Thanks for linking it. There are two books I am seeing. The first one has the right year. Is the second a new edition, I wonder? Either way, that's a steep price to pay for info on just one dagger but the book is probably full of cool stuff and might be worth it.

It sounds also like you might also be saying I should contact the auction house directly. I might give that a shot! Thanks!

Some auction houses keep a complete list of their past online auctions on their websites, others don't but might have that information in their records. I don't know which kind this auction house is.

See if you can borrow the book from a library, possibly by interlibrary loan. If the dagger is not in the book, then the chance there is any information beyond what the auction house listed is very low. If they could prove it came legally from an old collection or an excavation, they would have listed that to raise the price! But talking about auction houses that sell things that don't belong to the owners or are fake is not a topic for Christmas Day.
Dan Kary wrote:

This particular dagger in Blankwaffen is not the same as one in the auction, and merely illustrates the type (i.e. a "Panzerstecherdolche mit Scheibengriff"). The one in the book has a very small disc for a crossguard, and a much larger pommel with a sort of wide trumpet shape that flairs from the top of the grip to the top of the pommel plate. The grip tapers from the pommel to the cross. See attached pic (the dagger on the left)

Attachment: 115.49 KB
[ Download ]
Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit confused. The dagger I am looking for information on is not in the book? So, instead, I should look to the auction house? I'm not sure what to ask them about, considering that the only leads seem to be an image and a book which, apparently, the dagger doesn't appear in (if I'm getting that right). I'm hoping that I am not on a wild goose chase!
Dan Kary wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit confused. The dagger I am looking for information on is not in the book? So, instead, I should look to the auction house? I'm not sure what to ask them about, considering that the only leads seem to be an image and a book which, apparently, the dagger doesn't appear in (if I'm getting that right). I'm hoping that I am not on a wild goose chase!

If I were going to write to the auction house, I would say something like:

Quote:
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I recently came across a reference to an object which you auctioned around the year 2014. The archive on another site provided the photo xxx and the description yyy (link). They did not provide a URL, a lot number, a provenance, the result of the auction or any other information. Do you have any further information about this interesting dagger in your records?

sincerely, zzz

If any of us knew that Hermann Historica had a website with past auctions, we would have given you the link! In research you often have to try things that might lead to more information and might not, like seeing if an auction house has a webpage with catalogues from past auctions.
You could contact them electronically using the form on their website. Each department seems to have such a form. The arms and armour one is on this page

https://www.hermann-historica.de/en/departments/arms-armour/

Sean has given you a concise exemplar that would work in this format, I think.

Obviously, no-one knows whether they will have the information available or be prepared to look it out.
Thank you. I have contacted them and we will see what they say. I promised to post what I find out, if anything.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: