Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Scottish ‘Clamshell’ Claymore by Michael ‘Tinker’ Pearce Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: A Scottish ‘Clamshell’ Claymore by Michael ‘Tinker’ Pearce         Reply with quote

Here's an old review I did (of a former piece that was in my collection) which never did make it to press !
I figure Michael deserves another nod for his fine work on this one ! - Mac

A Scottish ‘Clamshell’ Claymore by Michael ‘Tinker’ Pearce
A Review by Thomas McDonald

“On the morning after the battle - for night had thrown its curtain over the horrors of the scene, before the extent of the carnage could be ascertained - the field of battle and the ground between it and the river, extending as far as the pass, presented an appalling spectacle in the vast numbers of the dead which strewed the savage and unrelenting ferocity with which Mackay's men had been hewn down by the Highlanders. Here might be seen a skull which had been struck off above the ears by a stroke from a broad-sword - there a head lying near the trunk from which it had been severed - here an arm or a limb - there a corpse laid open from the head to the brisket; while interspersed among these lifeless trunks, dejectaque membra, were to be seen broken pikes, small swords and muskets, which had been snapped asunder by the athletic blows of the Lochaber axe and broad-sword”.

. Battle of Killiecrankie (1689)
http://www.electricscotland.com/history/killiecrankie.htm

An example of an original late 16th-or early 17th century Scottish hilt mounted with a late medieval blade.
- Photo: "Culloden The Swords & the Sorrows", National Trust For Scotland. (1996).

Introduction

* The earliest reference known for this form of sword was an article published in 1792 by William Charles Little on the Hammermen of Edinburgh. In 1583 it is noted that a Robert Lyal created for his admittance essay “ane pair of clam schellit gardis” .
From roughly the forth quarter of the sixteenth century, to about the second quarter of the seventeenth, this form of sword made its presence known on the battlefields of Scotland. It is thought to be the last development of the big two-handed swords, in Scotland.
Usually hand and half in length, and shorter than it’s Lowland predecessors, it utilized shells as the major defensive feature of the guard, developed for deflection as opposed to blocking. * Reference: Tony Willis, Scottish “twa handit Swerdis”.

Overview

Michael ‘Tinker’ Pearce is a well known bladesmith, from the state of Washington, who specializes in excellent, high-performance, swords and knives ! Having owned work by Michael, and knowing how well his swords handled & performed, I was thrilled to find this unique piece for sale.

I purchased the sword through a company called Blade Art Inc., based in Miami, Florida, http://www.bladeart.com/ who have a great selection of custom bladed weapons! At a cost of $600.00, plus shipping, the sword arrived in top shape, and proved to be worth every penny of the money spent!

As a collector of Scottish weapons the ‘clamshell’ claymore was a piece that my collection seriously lacked, and also one that is not often found in the reproduction market ….. Thankfully Tinker came to the rescue!

The swords handle is wood cored, with black leather wrapped grip. The hilt is dismountable.
The swords blade is protected by a formed leather sheath , sewn up the back, fitting the blade nicely .

Stats
OL – 49 ¾”
BL – 36 7/8”
BW – 1 ¾” ( 1 ¼” at tip )
Weight – 3 lbs. 9 ¾ oz.
POB – 3 5/8”
COP – 23 ½”
Grip – 11 ¼”
Cross – 7 ¼”
Shell dimensions - 4 ¼” wide x 4 ½” long ( inside width 5 ½” )
Fuller – 17 ¾”
Pommel – 1 ¾” diameter
Blade steel – 5160

Handling Characteristics

Everyone that picks up this sword has commented how light & lively it feels! The blade is quite flexible, almost whippy, but has proven to be an excellent cutter, fairing very well against some very tough ¾” inch plywood.
The harmonics are quite good, keeping vibration to a minimum, as the blade wreaks havoc with all manner of target.
The speed at which this sword can be swung certainly aids to its destructive power, its weight enabling it to be used one-handed, as well as two!

Fit and Finish

The fit and finish on this piece is very good . The hilt is tight , the welding of the shells to the cross are clean, and very solid. The blade is polished to a high level , as well as the fullers , all lines clean & crisp! The leather is good quality, tightly wrapped, and provides an excellent gripping surface! The dismountable hilt is constructed with care, all its pieces fitting together tightly, with top quality materials!

Conclusion

Michael ‘Tinker’ Pearce makes some very cool custom swords, and knives, with performance being key.
BladeArt .com is an excellent source for obtaining some of his unique works (as well as a host of other quality makers) and is a wonderful company to do business with. Do check them out!

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Sun 15 May, 2005 10:17 am; edited 4 times in total
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely stunning! Eek! You're right: clamshells are not a common sight on the repro market. Beautiful work. If my eyes don't deceive me, it appears that the clamshell is lined with leather. I also like the hole in the pommel nut (very handy). It's these kinds of details that make a sword stand out above the rest. And for $600, it looks like a steal. Congrats! Happy
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi G.Scott

Yes, the shell guards are lined with leather !

Michael did a very nice job on this one, no doubt about it ! Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas, in the pics, it looks like the pommel just has a round hole all the way through (though there must be two different diameters, so the pommel nut has something to seat on). Is this the case? If so, does the pommel actually fit down somewhat over the rectangular portion of the tang, or does it just fit down over th threaded part? Just curious. Thanks. Happy
Allen Johnson

Reading list: 29 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the look of these blades but I've always wondered if those clamshells effect your technique any? I know when im doing longsword my grip shifts and slides and I would think the shells might hinder that. But I havent handled one so Im curious.
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks similar to this one, possibly similar inspiration to the historical example you posted?... http://www.armourclass.com/Data/Pages/Scottish_4.htm

But yours is executed perfectly, I'm not particularly fond of clam shell guards but this one is indeed very appealing! congrats on the new sword. Cool

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Thomas, in the pics, it looks like the pommel just has a round hole all the way through (though there must be two different diameters, so the pommel nut has something to seat on). Is this the case? If so, does the pommel actually fit down somewhat over the rectangular portion of the tang, or does it just fit down over th threaded part? Just curious. Thanks. Happy

Hi Scott

Yes, the pommel is counter-sunk so that the nut sets in and tightens up the tang against itself !
( so yeah, two different diameter holes with pommel sitting on the rectangular tang section )

;-) Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That look's a fine example Mac,thanks for sharing,
did you keep it long Question and do you have a new version, Question
Tinker had mentioned that he was going to put up his own site Cool , with favourable pricing for the collecter,but i havent heard any news as yet,
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
That look's a fine example Mac,thanks for sharing,
did you keep it long Question and do you have a new version, Question
Tinker had mentioned that he was going to put up his own site Cool , with favourable pricing for the collecter,but i havent heard any news as yet,

Hi Lee

I believe I got that sword in early Jan. of 2001(as that is what my old jpg files say ;-) and I believe I sold it to help finance my
VE two-hand claymore, somewhere in early 2003 ? Dave Hahn was the gentleman who became its new caretaker !

Presently, I do not have another of its type ..... but oneday I shall fill the void !
Which reminds me .....
Erik Stevenson made a beautiful clamshell claymore, not too long back .... I'm trying to remember who got that one ? Hmmm .... ?

Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Sun 15 May, 2005 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah yes, here it is ..... in the Dave Lannon collection ! Mac

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...+stevenson

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool
Cheers Mac,
No doubt dave was happy it look's a nice sword,and as i remember you were more than happy with vince's piece that took it's place,
Davids sword from erik looked really nice, Cool
Ben Sweet recently put up a thread about his new tinker sword,looked an excellent package too,
some of tinkers stuff looks really impressive,but if i'm honest i'd have to say the odd piece leaves me a tad cold,but that could well be down to the high polish finish,i'm not overly keen on too shiny,but that aside tink's one maker i would love to get to see his work up close and personnal,so to speak,
Eek! but i could say that about the other chap's mentioned too Big Grin
Dominic Dellavalle

PostPosted: Fri 13 May, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful looking sword there and definately a different design from what I've seen before. Then again my knowledge of swords is limited and still growing, albeit slowly Happy

The shell guards certainly add something and give the sword a distinct look. Out of curiosity how prevalent a design was this? Honestly this is the first I've seen, again I haven't done a whole lot of research on it though.

Also, I happened to be putzing around Ebay as I often do and found this sword up for auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...:1:1v_home

While I don't know enough to comment on the sword itself as to age, make, etc. I couldn't help but notice that it has a similiar clamshell guard on it. Just thought I would throw it out there.

Either way again a wonderful looking sword.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
"Dominic Dellavalle" wrote: Out of curiosity how prevalent a design was this? Honestly this is the first I've seen, again I haven't done a whole lot of research on it though.

Hi Dominic

There are only limited numbers of surviving examples of this type (Scottish) remaining, but the shell guard was a feature on a variety of other types during the 17th century as well !

I put together an album that features several of the known ( at least to me) Scottish clamshell guards that reside in the various museums, & collections, around the world ..... It can be viewed at this Link.

Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mac,

This looks like another wonderful piece.
Quote:
I purchased the sword through a company called Blade Art Inc., based in Miami, Florida, http://www.bladeart.com/, who have a great selection of custom bladed weapons! At a cost of $600.00, plus shipping, the sword arrived in top shape, and proved to be worth every penny of the money spent!

I tried to use the link that you posted, but can't get it to work. It might just be a temporary issue. Do you know if Blade Art is still in business and using that web address?
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Mac,
This looks like another wonderful piece.
Quote:
I purchased the sword through a company called Blade Art Inc., based in Miami, Florida, http://www.bladeart.com/, who have a great selection of custom bladed weapons! At a cost of $600.00, plus shipping, the sword arrived in top shape, and proved to be worth every penny of the money spent!

I tried to use the link that you posted, but can't get it to work. It might just be a temporary issue. Do you know if Blade Art is still in business and using that web address?

Hi Steve

I fixed the link ( that comma after the back slash should not have been there ), so it's working now !

Thanks for pointing that out ! Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
...I fixed the link ( that comma after the back slash should not have been there ), so it's working now !

Thanks, Mac.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Scottish ‘Clamshell’ Claymore by Michael ‘Tinker’ Pearce
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic