Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Quest for pictures of Bayerisches Nationalmuseum XVIIIb Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Son of a... Happy Man I HATE having problems like this...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! Laughing Out Loud Peter J!!! Snackegök där Laughing Out Loud
Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Berbiers wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

So Peter's finished that sword? We need photos of that one!

Darned straight! Also I almost hope the folks at Albion do NOT make a repro of it because if they do I'll end up owing them a whole lot of money! One wonders if they would be doing the tooled grip and rainguard, if so one would expect that they would be part of the museum line?

Hi Russ,

Got a PM from Peter J, you better start saving :-)
So is it going to be in the museum line or is it going to be a next gen?
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan A. C. wrote:
So is it going to be in the museum line or is it going to be a next gen?

Gotta be Museum Line, and I would expect on the higher end of the price spectrum.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see what Vladimir Cervenka does with this design, as the original blade has a very complex blade geometry. As I understand it, it's extremely thick at the spine/base with multiple hollow-grinds and has some interesting things going on with the tapers. The tooling on the grip/rain guard and details in the pommel faces (not symmetrical) add just as much complexity to this original.

Without first-hand examination, study, and measurements, there will be no way to replicate this original. The best that can be had without these things is a piece that is visually inspired by the Bayerisches sword. I'll go out on a limb and say that a smith without this first-hand experience with the antique won't be able to make anything other than something that visually looks similar to the original. There's just too much complexity and subtlety of detail on this piece to be able to interpret it from photos alone.

Still, even using this Bayerisches sword as a visual inspiration can certainly produce a damn fine sword: it just won't be much like the original, in my opinion.

Either way, I'm super eager to see the results!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
...Still, even using this Bayerisches sword as a visual inspiration can certainly produce a damn fine sword: it just won't be much like the original, in my opinion....

Christian Fletcher has, IMHO, a very nice looking "inspired by" piece, based on an Atrim blade:
http://www.christianfletcher.com/Catalog/Swords/Atrim/at1593.html
I have admired this piece for some time. However, who knows how close it really is to the original...
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
...Still, even using this Bayerisches sword as a visual inspiration can certainly produce a damn fine sword: it just won't be much like the original, in my opinion....

Christian Fletcher has, IMHO, a very nice looking "inspired by" piece, based on an Atrim blade:
I have admired this piece for some time. However, who knows how close it really is to the original...

Yeah. I had that piece here for awhile. I liked it a ton. In fact, if the owner wants to sell it, I'd want to buy it!

But having said that, it has next to nothing to do with the Bayerisches sword other than same general proportions, an s-curved cross, and something sitting in the recess of the pommel. Other than that, every other detail differs. The blade is the most different, of course, being a simple diamond cross-section rather than the complex geometry of the original.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Yeah. I had that piece here for awhile. I liked it a ton. In fact, if the owner wants to sell it, I'd want to buy it!

But having said that, it has next to nothing to do with the Bayerisches sword other than same general proportions, an s-curved cross, and something sitting in the recess of the pommel. Other than that, every other detail differs. The blade is the most different, of course, being a simple diamond cross-section rather than the complex geometry of the original.

Hmmmm. Headsup. The owner of this CF sword just told me the other day that he'd like to sell it.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Hmmmm. Headsup. The owner of this CF sword just told me the other day that he'd like to sell it.

I want it. Happy

Peter Berbiers

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's the sword made by CF that got me interested in this sword. When i first saw the pics of the CF Atrim i started looking for some historical examples. The first pic of the Bayerische sword i saw blew me away. I contacted Vladimir in december 2004 to commision this sword, and he was pretty enthousiasic about it. I did not ask him for an exact replica, but for a sword inspired by the original. The raw measurements where provided by Dr. Seelig and every picture i could find i forwarded to Vladimir. Vladimir started forging on this sword yesterday and i'm dying to see the results.
I'm also looking forward to Peter's replica who will no doubt be much more detailed (and geometrically correct) than the one i will be getting.
If everything goes well i'll be visiting Vladimir and the smith's of TEMPL (Patrick Bartha and Pavel Rihaeck) this autumn, and in driving up I'll make a stop in Munich where i'm promised to have a "hand's on" with the original sword.
So, for now i'm back to checking my inbox every 5 minutes since Vladimir promised me some pictures of the work in progress.
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sword is the next sword in line for the Museum Hallmark line, once Turin is in production. We have been planning this one for several years as it will be, logistically, very difficult. Svante was part of the "training" for this one and we now feel that we can do a very exacting recreation of this sword now.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Bayerisches Nationalmuseum XVIIIb         Reply with quote

Figured I should split this off as the topic might be more appropriate here for the question I'm going to ask?

For the folks at Albion... do you have any indication at this time how expensive this particular sword is going to be? Is it going to be something around the price range of the Sture sword? Just needing to know so I can start putting pennies away.

Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bayerisches Nationalmuseum XVIIIb         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Figured I should split this off as the topic might be more appropriate here for the question I'm going to ask?

For the folks at Albion... do you have any indication at this time how expensive this particular sword is going to be? Is it going to be something around the price range of the Sture sword? Just needing to know so I can start putting pennies away.

Hey Russ!

I would assume so, considering the level of difficulty -- but we won't be setting a final price until we are closer to final.

Thanks,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1301

A couple of detailed pics of the pommel. Pretty freaky. Cool

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bayerisches Nationalmuseum XVIIIb         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

Russ,
Actually, it's better for this to be located in this thread (to which I've moved it). The Makers and Manufacturers Talk forum is for "Announcements, press releases, promotions, and marketing information from the makers, manufacturers, and vendors of arms and armour." It's for makers to make announcements; in fact, only makers/industry folks can start topics in there, though all readers are welcome to reply to posts there.

As Albion has not made an official announcement in that forum, your question is a question from a customer which is better handled outside that forum.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bayerisches Nationalmuseum XVIIIb         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

Russ,
Actually, it's better for this to be located in this thread (to which I've moved it). The Makers and Manufacturers Talk forum is for "Announcements, press releases, promotions, and marketing information from the makers, manufacturers, and vendors of arms and armour." It's for makers to make announcements; in fact, only makers/industry folks can start topics in there, though all readers are welcome to reply to posts there.

As Albion has not made an official announcement in that forum, your question is a question from a customer which is better handled outside that forum.

K cool, I was concerned that my question that was specific to pricing of an Albion product was out of bounds for the general forum, thanks for setting me straight.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bayerisches Nationalmuseum XVIIIb         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
K cool, I was concerned that my question that was specific to pricing of an Albion product was out of bounds for the general forum, thanks for setting me straight.

Well, if you weren't an industry person, you wouldn't have been able to post in that forum in the first place. Non-industry posters would have had to use one of the other forums for that same question. I feel it fits with this topic better than anywhere else. If the other Mods disagree, I'm sure it'll get moved to the appropriate place.

The question is slightly out of bounds for all the forums, in my opinion, anyway. I'm sure that Albion will announce specifics when they have them available. Asking many questions now is slightly premature.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bayerisches Nationalmuseum XVIIIb         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Well, if you weren't an industry person, you wouldn't have been able to post in that forum in the first place. Non-industry posters would have had to use one of the other forums for that same question. I feel it fits with this topic better than anywhere else. If the other Mods disagree, I'm sure it'll get moved to the appropriate place.

The question is slightly out of bounds for all the forums, in my opinion, anyway. I'm sure that Albion will announce specifics when they have them available. Asking many questions now is slightly premature.

Oh come one you know you want to know as bad as the rest of us, what are swords without a bunch of rumors floating around to make it interesting? Big Grin

Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
This sword is the next sword in line for the Museum Hallmark line, once Turin is in production. We have been planning this one for several years as it will be, logistically, very difficult. Svante was part of the "training" for this one and we now feel that we can do a very exacting recreation of this sword now.

Best,

Howy

I'd put money down today for a reservation if you'd allow me too! This is the one I've been waiting for!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:

Best,

Howy

I'd put money down today for a reservation if you'd allow me too! This is the one I've been waiting for!

See I didn't say that (but I thought it) This one is my third favorite historical sword of all time.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Quest for pictures of Bayerisches Nationalmuseum XVIIIb
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: