Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My painted GDFB helm. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Sean Cory

PostPosted: Thu 19 May, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello. I am new here and wish express my appreciation for all the advice and information that you all provide to newbies. It is very helpful and quite illuminating.

When I first saw the picture of the painted helmet there immediately sprang to mind the paint schemes employed by fighter piliots (especially WWI). It always seemed to me there were advantages and disadvantages to this. It would certainly help in identifying friend from foe and so make friendly fire (bashing?) less likely. On the other hand enemies could pick you out rather easily and if one or more had an axe to grind with the person so marked would provide a nice target to zero in on.

I wonder if such schemes were employed solely on an individual basis or did whole units use them? I would think that particularly in medieval times when one's fealty was to a particular lord such identification would be very useful in seeking rallying points or comrades to guard your back in the melee. It would also enable friends to locate comrades in need of help and to move to his/their position. I would also think that fairly bright colors would be more the norm as you would want them to stand out as much as possible in the dust and confusion of battle. To use the helmet for this is perfectly sensible as it can be seen from all directions and being the highest point on a man is most visible.

All in all I'd say your project is both nice to look at and makes perfect sense.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 19 May, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Cory wrote:
Hello. I am new here and wish express my appreciation for all the advice and information that you all provide to newbies. It is very helpful and quite illuminating.

Welcome, Sean! This site is LOADED with great people and great discussion - lots to share from any perspective, beit newby, expert, or anywhere in between.

Sean Cory wrote:
I wonder if such schemes were employed solely on an individual basis or did whole units use them?

It's hard to say for certain, as there aren't many period specimens in good enough shape to provide evidence (at least, not that I am aware of). In this particular case, I would look toward sources like the Bayeux Tapestry, which shows a number of Knights with similarly painted helms. You can see this for yourself at this link:

http://www.hastings1066.com/bayeux10.shtml

One Knight riding a brown horse just left of middle is wearing a nasal painted tan and reddish-brown. Same paint scheme appears on another two Knights riding a black horse and a brown horse further to the right.

What the exact meaning of this would be, I'm not sure.

Shields showing similar markings are found here: http://www.hastings1066.com/bayeux11.shtml

Again, evidence of "unit" markings? Not certain... but it makes sense.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 19 May, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome Sean, and thank you!
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks outstanding Patrick! The blue and white mix in colors makes ya look young Wink BTW the chainmail looks great too in the original pic seeing it closeup

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My painted GDFB helm.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: