Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass or Cold Steel Two-Hander? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Windlass or Cold Steel Two-Hander?         Reply with quote

My next sword is going to be a large two-hander. Given my price limitation of around $300, the two obvious choices are the Windlass Steelcrafts European Two Hand Sword and the Cold Steel Two Hand Great sword (available on several online sites around $300, despite what CS charges for them). With WS, I know what to expect, a fairly decent tang with a 5/16th threaded pommel nut. I have no idea what the tang looks like on the Cold Steel sword. I know a few people had trouble with their earlier Hand-and-a-Half sword, who's tang (I believe) terminated in a puny 3/16" welded-on threaded rod. Has anyone, by some freak chance, handled a recently produced CS Great Sword? Does anyone know how the pommel is attached? Thanks. Happy
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I emailed Cold Steel a few days ago on this topic, and haven't received a response. I guess they don't want to talk about it either. Laughing Out Loud Now I'm having nightmares about a disgruntled Lynn Thompson showing up at my door with one of his famous boar spears! Eek! Laughing Out Loud On the upside, I see that Reliks is now (apparently) carrying the Flamberge that MRL no longer sells. Old stock perphaps? Happy

Last edited by G. Scott H. on Mon 23 May, 2005 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Without discussing specific models, I'd pick Windlass over Cold Steel for my needs at this point.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Without discussing specific models, I'd pick Windlass over Cold Steel for my needs at this point.

I'm strongly leaning in that direction myself. Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cold Steel should be at the Atlanta Show that I'm attending in a couple weeks. I'll be able to see their current line-up and perhaps get an updated view of their products.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't mess with Lynn too much about their sword tangs. He's really touchy about that kinda stuff. I know....I called him out once to show pictures of the tangs of CS swords. You would think I insulted his mother. Windlass seems to be getting better and better with age and experience. I'd go with them, too. My two cents. mcm.
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Don't mess with Lynn too much about their sword tangs. He's really touchy about that kinda stuff. I know....I called him out once to show pictures of the tangs of CS swords. You would think I insulted his mother. Windlass seems to be getting better and better with age and experience. I'd go with them, too. My two cents. mcm.

YEah, just from some of the stuff i have read here, it sounds as though they may have some problems with the tangs. Probably a rather touchy subject with them at this point.

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Still no response from Lynn and Co. I guess I really hit a nerve with them. Laughing Out Loud Geez! Just asking an honest question, Mr. T. Eek! Anyhoo, check out this link to view the remains of a CS Hand-and-a-Half. http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...el+quality
Actually, I have a number of CS knives, and I love them. Nothing at all against Mr. T or his company, however, those pictures and CS's lack of communication/response to this issue make me uneasy. I'm going for the Windlass anyway, but I'm still curious about the Great Sword. Happy
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I definitely go with the Windlass products over those sold by Cold Steel, though I wouldn't buy it from MRL as they seem to be in the habit of taking your money and not delivering a product.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I definitely go with the Windlass products over those sold by Cold Steel, though I wouldn't buy it from MRL as they seem to be in the habit of taking your money and not delivering a product.

Patrick, come on. Your single experience does not warrant calling it a habit.

I've ordered many things on the 'net. Some of them got lost during shipping. It's often a long and drawn-out process. This is common. It's irritating, but nothing to cause a personal crusade against the retailer about. I'm dealing with UPS and I've been trying to get them to pay on an insurance claim for six months now.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Patrick, come on. Your single experience does not warrant calling it a habit.

I've ordered many things on the 'net. Some of them got lost during shipping. It's often a long and drawn-out process. This is common. It's irritating, but nothing to cause a personal crusade against the retailer about. I'm dealing with UPS and I've been trying to get them to pay on an insurance claim for six months now.

Of course your right, how drole of me.

I'd hardly call three or four small comments a crusade so let's not overstate the fact.

Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Still no response from Lynn and Co. I guess I really hit a nerve with them. Laughing Out Loud Geez! Just asking an honest question, Mr. T. Eek! Anyhoo, check out this link to view the remains of a CS Hand-and-a-Half. http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...el+quality
Actually, I have a number of CS knives, and I love them. Nothing at all against Mr. T or his company, however, those pictures and CS's lack of communication/response to this issue make me uneasy. I'm going for the Windlass anyway, but I'm still curious about the Great Sword. Happy

This review always comes up. I guess Cold Steel has lost many sales beacuse of it. Keep in mind it's just one review. It is also very emotional. The CS swords aren't the best in the world but I'm sure the vast majority of the H&H are much better than this.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 25 May, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenneth Enroth wrote:
G. Scott H. wrote:

This review always comes up. I guess Cold Steel has lost many sales beacuse of it. Keep in mind it's just one review. It is also very emotional. The CS swords aren't the best in the world but I'm sure the vast majority of the H&H are much better than this.

This is the only documented case I've seen; however, the whole idea of that tiny piece of rod holding the whole thing together just makes me nervous. This situation has been presented to CS without any apparent results (that I'm aware of). IMHO, CS makes some of the best modern knives available and their "Japanese" swords appear to be pretty decent as well, so I know they can do better (or make the guys who build the swords for them do better, as the case may be). It's really just a case of familiarity for me. I laready have several Windlass items, and so I know exactly what to expect from them. If CS returns my email, I'm perfectly willing to hear their side. Anyway, one should not condemn a product based upon one bad review, I agree with you there. A number of other things have lead me to my current decision to go with Windlass as well. Happy
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 25 May, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There have also been a couple of negative reviews of Cold Steel's Gross Messer floating around.

The most important thing to remember is that Cold Steel does not make these swords themselves so much of the information relating to their knives doesn't apply. I'm not condemning or recommending Cold Steel swords since I don't have experience with a large number of them. The buyer just needs to remember that the marketing surrounding their knives doesn't neccesarily transfer to the swords, so judge accordingly.

Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Wed 25 May, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A year or two ago I asked Cold Steel what they tought about that review. Their reply was basically that they do continous torture testing and the H&H meets their requirements. They tought the reviewer got a bad sword and reminded me that their warranty applies in such cases. They were somewhat defensive

I agree the welded on screw is a subpar construction.

I have a Grosse messer that have survived a lot of abuse. I used it to split logs. To split thick logs I had to wind up with every ounce of strength. Many times when the wood split the sword crashed full force into the stub below. The sword now has a crack in it so I don't abuse it like that anymore. I also got elbow pains beacuse of the shock and vibration. That's all healed now. Bottom line, toughness is all up to the individual example you get.
David R. Glier

PostPosted: Wed 25 May, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cold Steel never replied to my questions about the hilt attatchment of their Tulwar, either. I can only assume that when they read that I wanted to take the hilt off that I intended to look at the tang -and post another damaging review. Worried
I really WOULD like to get that hilt off, so I can make the grip fit my hand. Sad

Thus, I'd be inclined to go with Windlass.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass or Cold Steel Two-Hander?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic