Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Patrick Barta Blucina sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Paul Mortimer

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Patrick Barta Blucina sword         Reply with quote

Patrick has poste some details of the making of his latest masterpiece:

http://www.templ.net/making_of_weapons/blucina_sword.php

Paul
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is an unbelievable piece of workmanship. I wish I could afford one of his pieces.

I am surprised that the illustrations show this sword being word on the bearer's right side. It is rare to find a sword actually worn in a burial as it would have been in real life, but this find looks as if the dead man's possessions were displayed just as he would have carried them. So apparently we have a left-handed gentleman.

If the burial was as complete as the drawings imply, this find looks to be worth reading more about. Heres' the only additional information I could quickly locate on the web:

"The low mound in Blucina contained the skeleton of a chieftain at 30-40 years from 450-485 AD with a spatha, a sax, a bow, a shield and precious horsequipment including a saddle. At the shoulder he wore a "buegelfibula" - generally accepted as a sign of high military rank in the Roman army according to Tejral (Hunnen, Germanen und Awaren). A part of the equipment wear cloisonne similar to the Merovingian Childeric-tomb (482 AD) and the later Sutton Hoo. A similar buckle in Gudme is by the Danish National Museum used as an example of the connection between Denmark and the Franks though the cloisonne appears nearly identical to the buckle in Blucina possibly being burried before the Merovingian Empire was established. In Jaroslav Tejral's article "Archaeologisher Beitrag zur Kenntnis der voelkerwanderungszeitlichen Ethnostrukturen noerdlich der Donau", chapter II,2 in Friesinger/Daim's "Typen der Ethnogese unter besonderer berücksichtung der Bayern", Vol 2, 1990, the chieftain in Blucina is regarded as Herulian and connected to Procopius, Ottars Mound, the Uppsala Mounds and Zhuran Hill. He mentions that the top of the golden handle of the spatha appear to be a type known as Scandinavian. Other scholars call the burial Herulian or at least Eastgermanic in the literature (Windl, Neuerer beiträge..., 1997, Karel Tihelka, Parmatky Arch. 54, 1963 and HOOPS, Reallexicon zum Germ. Alt.kunde.)). According to Birgit Arrhenius (Merovingian Garnet Juvellery) the cloisonne of that time were Byzantian modules used in local workshops – not Frankish or Alemannic craft as often referred to in Scandinavia."
http://www.gedevasen.dk/heruleng.html
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With the pictures of what the cheiftan was wearing and such it reminds me of the stuff they do on meet the ancestors (a BBC show). The even forged a blade in one episode....Patrick is beyond amazing with his swords, unfortunately i doubt i'll ever be able to own one of his pieces. Maybe later on, cause the Sutton Hoo sword he made actually was cheaper then the prices Kevin Cashen puts on his blades, which was actually quite shocking.

Beautiful sword there...the multi-billet core pattern welded migration swords are just spectactular!

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a beautiful piece of art. Beyond that, I am speechless....
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I consider Patrick Bárta's stuff to be surprisingly affordable.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a historical reproduction I can appreciate the craft level though the shape, size, and overall aesthetic of the grip is not to my taste. That being said Barta's stuff just amazes me everytime I see it.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My order with Patrick is still about a year and a half away. I had intended to set money aside every month in savings but so far things keep getting in the way. At this point I don't care. If I have to clear out half of my production stuff to get it, it's going to be a pattern-welded migration sword for me!
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Paul Mortimer

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't worry Patrick, I too had intended to save for my sword from Mr Barta-- I had two years to do it. However, life gets in the way of most of my plans and when the sword was ready I hadn't saved anything. I still bought it and don't regret it -- I have just had to economise on a few other things.
My second sword should be ready next year and the savings still don't seem to be accumulating.

What a man's got to do.............................

Paul
Jean Le-Palud

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Nathan that Patrick Bartà's swords are surprinsingly affordable, especially for an european like me. When I buy from the USA I have to add high shipping costs and 20 percent for customs duty and VAT.
One can always discuss about matter of taste on a custom item, but for me Patrick's work is one of the more accurate historically besides it's aesthetic qualities. (Hope my english don't betray what I have in mind)
I ordered from him (a viking sword) and have to wait still some one and a half year for this dream becoming true...

Jean
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Mortimer wrote:
Don't worry Patrick, I too had intended to save for my sword from Mr Barta-- I had two years to do it. However, life gets in the way of most of my plans and when the sword was ready I hadn't saved anything. I still bought it and don't regret it -- I have just had to economise on a few other things.
My second sword should be ready next year and the savings still don't seem to be accumulating.

What a man's got to do.............................

Paul

It's really your fault Paul. Your sword made my decided that I had to have one. Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well Jean has a Barta Viking on the way and Patrick and Paul have Migration Era Swords... Mine will be somewhere inbetween. Wink

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Jean Le-Palud

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Kirk, what do you mean exactly ? or is it a secret ?
Jean
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe later on, cause the Sutton Hoo sword he made actually was cheaper then the prices Kevin Cashen puts on his blades, which was actually quite shocking

As a former (and no doubt future) owner of a cashenblade, I have to say that Kevin's stuff is worth every cent he charges. Tha's why his waiting list is so looooong. Happy
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Le-Palud wrote:
Hi Kirk, what do you mean exactly ? or is it a secret ?
Jean

Hi Jean...

It is somewhat of a mystery Question ... But mysteries are to be solved. It is something in the very late migration period with a saxon pedigree... Should have it by Christmas.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Robert W. Betten

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
Quote:
Maybe later on, cause the Sutton Hoo sword he made actually was cheaper then the prices Kevin Cashen puts on his blades, which was actually quite shocking

As a former (and no doubt future) owner of a cashenblade, I have to say that Kevin's stuff is worth every cent he charges. Tha's why his waiting list is so looooong. Happy

I already know this Wink I was mearly putting one pattern welder of exceptional skill with another then comparing prices. Maybe thats rather unfair since they are in leagues of there own...Patricks work and Kevins are both exceptional and didnt mean it to sound like one or the other was inferior, as its quite the opposite. Happy

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:

I am surprised that the illustrations show this sword being word on the bearer's right side. It is rare to find a sword actually worn in a burial as it would have been in real life, but this find looks as if the dead man's possessions were displayed just as he would have carried them. So apparently we have a left-handed gentleman.

The romans legionaries carried their Gladius on the right side, probably so that it would be easier to draw in close combat. (When your shield is beeing pushed against your body, it is hard to reach over for your sword.) The centurions, however, wore theirs on the left, maybe because they where not suposed to be standing in the thick of fighting anyhow.

It is also posible to carry the scabard in the right hand. When the scabard is not in the belt, the loss of draw time would be neglible, at least compared to the natural tendency to carry things in the dominant hand.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Paul Mortimer

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"It's really your fault Paul. Your sword made my decided that I had to have one."

Don't tell your wife who is to blame!

Paul

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Patrick Barta Blucina sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic