Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > European sword names Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Fromhold K.

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: European sword names         Reply with quote

Yes, another question concerning the meaning of medieval swords Happy.

As probably all of you know, medieval people used to name their swords. Arthur "had" Excalibur, Roland Durendal, Siegfried Balmung and Charlemagne had Joyeuse. Vikings also named their swords (and other weapons) a lot: Fotbitr, Gramr etc.

And second question: does anyone of you know other occasions when somebody has named his/her sword? And with what name, who was it, where is it mentioned etc. Of course, this doesn't have to be "historical fact" as such, it can be just a medieval legend or story, but this is exactly as good.

The reason for asking is that naming a sword is putting a proper name (semiotical term, if you are familiar) to sword. Which shows the importance of the sword. And mythological thinking (which proliferated in the Middle-Ages) often understands the proper name, the named item and even the user of the item as the same (sword=knight the owner, which seems absurd to logical thinking). Also, considering the mythological thinking again, it shows that sword had kind of a "soul" in the mind of medieval persons. If an item has a proper name, it is a semiotical subject, it has its own history, shades, meanings etc.

And of course, any ideas concerning the topic are more than welcome.
Jerry Spencer Mings

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My jen-tachi I have dubbed 足指カッター or つま先のカッター (Toe-Cutter) for reasons I won't get into here.

I've not named my "La Hire War Sword" yet - it's a zweihander; any suggestions?

Attachment: 53.81 KB
kt2060.jpg
My La Hire War Sword

Attachment: 35.17 KB
SKOWS.jpg
"Toe Cutter"

Jerry "The Dinosaur" Mings
George Hill

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My katana crazy buddy has named his swords 'cloths rod' after the sword of a guy who fought Musashi, (it was suppose to be a very long blade) and his other one 'little crow.' (Since crows and ninjas are related. He studies ninjitsu.)

I keep debating about names for my swords. I'm thinking of calling my short wide bladed sword 'choppy' since it hits like an axe, or a hammer, dut to the wide blade.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heck I had a hard enough time naming my dog... I'm terrible at names...
The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
My katana crazy buddy has named his swords 'cloths rod' after the sword of a guy who fought Musashi, (it was suppose to be a very long blade) and his other one 'little crow.' (Since crows and ninjas are related. He studies ninjitsu.)

"Little Crow" is also the name of one of Japan's national treasures, an ancient long sword in the Imperial Collection.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have reposted this list, from time to time. From Brewer's Dictionary Of Phrase And Fable

http://www.bartleby.com/81/16143.html

The page following this one lists makers and also an alphabetical list. A few others (quotes) follow that.

Although this is mostly a list of fabled blades, that predates medieval times, some may find it interesting.

The dictionary was compiled in the 19th century had has quite a bit of other infornmation to share.

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > European sword names
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic